Hayley Turner

• Thread starter Thread starter numbersix
  • Start date Start date
Discussing jockey bookings with a trainer today, someone said "what about Hayley Turner?" "She's got a ride in the race" retorted the trainer, "and I'm not putting a split-arse on one of my horses!"

"in fairness, as far as split-arses go, she's a pretty talented one" came a response, to which the trainer responded "yes, she's very good".

Praise indeed, for sure! (I'm being serious now!)

Let me finish the debate.

Hayley Turner is a decent jockey; much better than Oscar Urbina but not nearly as good as Lester Piggott. Is everyone happy with that?

She seemed to give Dark Missile an odd ride today. Looked as if she was not really putting much effort into it. However I know that those sitting on a horse can feel a lot more about them than those of us sitting at home on the sofa.

I think Dark Missile is a bit of a madam - I'm pretty sure today wouldn't be the first time her rider has sat there with a double handful 1f out only to find that the response off the bridle is much the same as when she is on it.

That would make sense as although she seemed well positioned near end of the race she just started to tread water. Hayley may have known there was no point in pushing her forward.

Nonetheless, it was rather depressing to find a bookmaker quoting odds of 25-1 last week when asked to price up Turner's chance of ever becoming champion jockey. Racing may have come a long way in its attitude to female jockeys in the last 20 years - otherwise, Turner could probably not have made it as far as she already has. A serious challenge for the title, however, is apparently still a step too far.

It wasn't a depressing quote for me - I've had a bit of that!!!

DO your Hayley T blind spot is going to cost you . She was excellent on Furnace at Chester and Ascot .

As for Oat Cuisine the horse ran like the race came too soon after Newmarket - a creditable fifth and always in a perfectly sensible position.

Back