Help please

betsmate

At the Start
I need a less twat-ish word than "solutions"

In the sense of an IT deliverable, solving a problem, the outcome of a project/media strategy etc.

It's for the covering letter of a job application to a digital agency that may well throw up at the use of the word solutions. To go on the end of this sentence (or a revised version of it) please:

..looking for a fast-paced, fun environment where the emphasis is on building relationships and the delivery of modern, innovative XXXXXXX.

Struggling to get beyond outcomes, which sounds a bit American (not as bad as the awful 'deliverables', though,) and results, which is a bit feeble

How about being more blunt, and emphasising a focus on productivity by saying "...where the emphasis is on building relationships and using modern, innovative techniques to get things done."

"...looking for a fast-paced, fun (dynamic?) environment with an emphasis on building relationships and a commitment to deliver modern, innovative results (services?)", maybe?

(Bear in mind this is coming from someone in a profession where "buzzwords" and other such corporate bullshit is actively encouraged...).

Last edited:
Results is the best one yet.

They use the word fun liberally all over their website and blog :)

You could tie the two together (assuming the lasting relationships are with clients) and go with "...with an emphasis on building lasting relationships through the implementation of modern, innovative services/achievement of modern, innovative results".

Might give the impression you get things done (although the word "implementation" might scupper your application to a fun company.. :cool:).

Good luck with the application by the way.

Last edited:
I'm with Tracks on cutting down the amount of vowels and consonants and making it a lot more punchy, especially if the company's young and thrusting.

"Fun" might come over a bit too flippant - "lively" is active and implies a cheery energy.

"Seeking" often sounds more proactive than "looking for" (which has the connotation of something you've lost), so I'd have a crack at something along the lines of:

Seeking a lively environment in which to forge strong relationships to produce innovative, modern results.

I like results, too, although if you wanted to dress it a little differently, you could try 'resolutions' (which provides a hybrid of results and solutions), 'answers', or maybe 'completions'. You could use 'carry-throughs' if you thought anyone would understand/accept it!

Very best of luck!

Thanks, I think I am getting there now. Just working on the interminable "tuning" of my CV to this position...

Interviews, I enjoy the challenge. Applying to get them, I despise.

You're focusing on the wrong word imo, Bets.

I would replace "deliver" with "contribute towards" - it's more inclusive and non-threatening - and then reconstruct the arse-end of the sentence.

I am an absolute Jedi Master when it comes to corporate wank-speak, so I know what I'm talking about. Consider it sage advice, freely offered.

:lol:

Where I work now they gobble up that stuff, which in part explains the applications elsewhere. :)

Why not try:

Hi, guys:

Listen, let's not dick around with corporate WankSpeak (TM). I want the job. I can do it on the crapper, playing Poker with my left hand and texting Madonna with my right, I'm so damn good. You'd be total arsepots not to hire me.

Call me, y'hear?

B. Etsmate

(Isn't it tiresome having to go through all that junk? We fell about laughing at Lingfield a few years back when told that we were now 'customer-facing operatives'. In other words, what we always were - ticket sellers.)

Back