What a Friend 11/2

Diamond Harry 8/1
Burton Port 10/1
Pandorama 10/1

Weird Al 10/1
China Rock 14/1
Duc De Regniere 16/1
Great Endeavour 20/1

Much as I love him I have to be against Denman here as he'll be running off a higher mark than last year, may not be as good, and this looks like it's gonna be a better quality renewal with some very interesting second season chasers
entered.

With What a Friend being the most overrated animal in training it's a race that will have a good punting shape and I'll be backing Diamond Harry. In hindsight he probably shouldn't have gone to the RSA with so little experience over fences but I'm sure his trainer will have him in top shape for such a big target and he won first time out last year.

If I am right and i am often wrong, Weird Al wins this, if the ground is soft,as it normally is.

Last edited:
He won off 174 last year, which was just sensational. He’s off 182 this year, an 8lb higher mark… impossible?... it would be for any other horse in training. But if any horse can do it this one can, I know of no horse that can carry weight more efficiently.

Kauto being 'seriously' considered for Hennessy

Wowee

I'd doubt he'd line up myself... but it would be great if he did... he'd keep the weights down for Denman - they'd probably be the only two running in the handicap proper.:)

11/2 would look huge on Denman in this circumstance.

Last edited:
Pure speculation on my part and all will be revealed this weekend but I can only think the reason they would go to Newbury rather than Down Royal with Kauto Star is because he isn't yet sparking as they would like. Though the above quote doesn't really support my theory.

Wrap him up in cotton wool until Boxing Day please. If he wants to win a big handicap, stick him in the National!

Last edited:
Writing in his Betfair blog, Nicholls said on Monday: "I can reveal that we are now "strongly considering" running Kauto Star in the Hennessy providing Down Royal goes to plan at the weekend.

"If he runs well on Saturday, then owner Clive Smith is of the opinion that there is no use wrapping them in cotton wool at their age and fancies a crack at the Hennessy. And I am not at all against it."

Sounds as though it is not Down Royal or the Hennessy...but Down Royal then (all going well) the Hennessy as well.

Sounds like madness to me - lumping top weight around a track where he has not excelled giving 11lb to Denman and 29lb to Neptune Collonges - hardly the ideal prep for the King George .

I would rather the two of them met over 3 miles at level weights to be honest.

I do not think he will run him in this as the King George will surely be put at risk by running him under these conditions.

I'd rather they went for the Racing Post Chase, as I think that would suit Kauto more, but it's highly unlikely given its proximity to Cheltenham.

Or, there's the Bet365 Gold Cup at Sandown. I think Kauto would get the trip, and with better ground and most likely the sun on his back, I could see him going well there. If it's to be his last season, that would be a nice race in which to bow out.

Unless this is that they feel he might need an extra run before the King George. But if it's a handicap win they're after, I think there are better options.

Last edited:
Fantastic idea. If Kauto is still on top of his game the only reason he'd fail in any race is either lack of fitness or soft ground on an undulating track. These horses carry big weights in the top Graded races so it's not as if he hasn't done it before.

I should have thought the Cotswold Chase at the end of Jan would be better - he just looked too fresh in this year's Gold Cup.

Sounds like madness to me - lumping top weight around a track where he has not excelled giving 11lb to Denman and 29lb to Neptune Collonges - hardly the ideal prep for the King George .

Quite so... It would give them a great chance of their good horse winning his third Hennessy though.;)

Last edited:
giving 11lb to Denman and 29lb to Neptune Collonges - hardly the ideal prep for the King George .

He'd go off 190 wouldn't he? Which means he'd give 8lb to Denman. He was on 193 after the KG but I've a feeling he's on 190 now. Can't check until I get home.

Last edited:
Back