Hennessy

I think he'll be overbet for this now. Little Josh got a terrific ride there and had already had a run this year. It turned out a disappointing race with the fancied horses either not jumping brilliant or seeming to need the run in the dead ground.

There is no way that Weird Al should be shorter for this than Diamond Harry off the same mark.

Last edited:
I think he'll be overbet for this now. Little Josh got a terrific ride there and had already had a run this year. It turned out a disappointing race with the fancied horses either not jumping brilliant or seeming to need the run in the dead ground.

There is no way that Weird Al should be shorter for this than Diamond Harry off the same mark.

Agreed. Diamond Harry a cracking bet.

How far out of the weights is Hey Big Spender with Denman in but not Kauto? His chance just got as hell of a lot better with Tizzard picking up a ban which rules him out of the race.

Hennessy Gold Cup 2010

Shame Kauto's not running. Denman? I just hope it was Punchestown being right handed was what made him hugely underperform...

Will What a Friend take the challenge to Denman even more now he has more experience, Thoughts...?

How far out of the weights is Hey Big Spender with Denman in but not Kauto? His chance just got as hell of a lot better with Tizzard picking up a ban which rules him out of the race.

What is your line on Hey Big Spender? He looked one to follow to me after his last run.

I really like Hey Big Spender. Still think he's a well handicapped horse on his win at the Festivals Trial meeting. That novice handicap is usually strong form. I'm no fan of Tizzard though and put his failures to complete since then down to jockey error rather than the horse being error prone as such.

Denman (IRE)11st 4lb
Neptune Collonges (FR)10st 0lb
Taranis (FR)9st 10lb
China Rock (IRE)9st 10lb
What A Friend9st 9lb
Madison du Berlais (FR)9st 7lb
Silver By Nature9st 6lb
Barbers Shop9st 6lb
Carruthers9st 5lb
The Tother One (IRE)9st 4lb
Glencove Marina (IRE)9st 4lb
Diamond Harry9st 2lb
Weird Al (IRE)9st 2lb
Burton Port (IRE)9st 2lb
Dream Alliance9st 1lb
Notre Pere (FR)9st 1lb
Take The Breeze (FR)9st 1lb
Big Fella Thanks9st 1lb
Killyglen (IRE)8st 13lb
Niche Market (IRE)8st 12lb
Pandorama (IRE)8st 12lb
The Package8st 11lb
Razor Royale (IRE)8st 10lb
Hey Big Spender (IRE)8st 10lb
Rare Bob (IRE)8st 9lb
Hills of Aran8st 9lb
Tatenen (FR)8st 9lb
Horner Woods (IRE)8st 4lb
Dance Island (IRE)8st 1lb
Abbeybraney (IRE)8st 1lb
Wogan8st 0lb
Saphir des Bois (FR)7st 11lb
Far More Serious (IRE)7st 10lb
Martys Mission (IRE)7st 5lb

If Denman is in the heart he was at this time last season he should still win, although I don’t say this lightly. It only takes one or two of these decent younger improving chasers to put in a personal best by half a stone plus and he’ll be really up against it. Arkle didn’t manage this for a third time. Having said that there is no horse better at carrying weight than Denman. It would be great if he can pull this off. Very exciting.

Those weights that Gal has put up must be those for when Kauto Star was still taking part. They will clearly go up. Can't check anything on the blasted machine I'm working on but I seem to remember Denman went off top weight of 11st 12lb last year (off a lower OR than this year of course).

Again from memory Denman has an OR of 182 this time while Kauto would have gone off 190... an 8lb difference. This suggests he'll go on 11st 12lb (unless they have fiddled with the top weight) and that they'll go up 8lb filling the gap that Kauto has vacated at the top.

Last edited:
If Denman is in the heart he was at this time last season he should still win, although I don’t say this lightly. It only takes one or two of these decent younger improving chasers to put in a personal best by half a stone plus and he’ll be really up against it.

Much as I love the horse I cannot have him this time. Diamond Harry would only need to run to his best hurdle rating to take the race and he has the scope to do this. I know he aint running off it but Pandorama's mark looks ludicrously low.

Much as I love the horse I cannot have him this time. Diamond Harry would only need to run to his best hurdle rating to take the race and he has the scope to do this. I know he aint running off it but Pandorama's mark looks ludicrously low.

I agree that Diamond Harry would be difficult to beat if running to his best hurdles rating. Thing is hurdles form will not be too much of a help to him in this.;)

No, but he looks a chaser and those hurdles at Haydock are almost hybrids. And after what he did with Gauvain at the weekend I kind of trust his trainer to have
Harry spot on from both a jumping and fitness point of view for this.

I still want Denman to win though, even if I don't back him. What is it about the jumps that turns hard nosed punters into softies:o

Those weights that Gal has put up must be those for when Kauto Star was still taking part. They will clearly go up. Can't check anything on the blasted machine I'm working on but I seem to remember Denman went off top weight of 11st 12lb last year (off a lower OR than this year of course).

Again from memory Denman has an OR of 182 this time while Kauto would have gone off 190... an 8lb difference. This suggests he'll go on 11st 12lb (unless they have fiddled with the top weight) and that they'll go up 8lb filling the gap that Kauto has vacated at the top.

Steve's right. Top weight is 11-12 and so those weights Gal has published will go up 8lbs leaving 8 in the handicap proper if I can count.

I still want Denman to win though, even if I don't back him. What is it about the jumps that turns hard nosed punters into softies:o

...I know what you mean. It has taken all of my will power to put off backing Denman so far. I keep telling myself that if Arkle couldn’t do it then it’s very unlikely.
Then again I see reports that he’d been shining in work with Big Bucks, Neptune and Taranis and I can’t help wondering if he can give weight and a start to these.

...I know what you mean. It has taken all of my will power to put off backing Denman so far. I keep telling myself that if Arkle couldn’t do it then it’s very unlikely.
Then again I see reports that he’d been shining in work with Big Bucks, Neptune and Taranis and I can’t help wondering if he can give weight and a start to these.

I think the answer to the puzzle may well be Taranis but have no idea if je is an intended runner.

Back