horses to oppose at the Festival

Teach me not to drink and post. Just had a look at some the shite I've spouted and it's not clever reading. I'll have to retract that bet, but no, I don't think NR will win.

Reminds me of when a lad at work who had never run before in his life bet a series of people £100 that he could run a 1:20 half marathon.

Needless to say he didn't. Most people let him off, but I made him give £50 to charity (which I matched) to teach him not to make stupid bets.

Just notices Apple Jade runs today. Might be a good time to lay her.

Obviously she grabbed the headlines with that Aintree win but her wins this year s.h defeat by Irvine and a somewhat lucky win over VV Mag doesn't inspire me to think she's as special as once thought.

Plus Cheltenham don't take prisoners...added to my oppose list

Reminds me of when a lad at work who had never run before in his life bet a series of people £100 that he could run a 1:20 half marathon.

Needless to say he didn't. Most people let him off, but I made him give £50 to charity (which I matched) to teach him not to make stupid bets.
I've donated a fair amount to B365 last night making crazy bets. Waking up this morning with a sore head and a very unhappy Mrs is a lesson well and truly learnt for me.

Just notices Apple Jade runs today. Might be a good time to lay her.

Obviously she grabbed the headlines with that Aintree win but her wins this year s.h defeat by Irvine and a somewhat lucky win over VV Mag doesn't inspire me to think she's as special as once thought.

Plus Cheltenham don't take prisoners...added to my oppose list

The win over VVM was just guts and pure determinantion, as well as a poor ride from Walsh.
Would she repeat that won over VVM? No I don't think so, she's shown a lot more than Limini has for me though. If your point is to lay her after this race, I'd probably agree. Don't know what beats her in the Mares though other than VVM who may not even go that route.

2nd in what to me was a shockingly bad Triumph when you consider the form the better horses were in at the time.

She then goes to Aintree and makes the Triumph winner look like a tree which IMO he is.

There has got to be more to that sort of improvement in 3 weeks..I would lay her as there must be a chance she does not like Cheltenham

This festival is looking less and less like a betting one and more a watching brief. I think the only way of making money is probably laying the favourites. Most races look wide open now.

Fair shout Tanlic. I'll be totally honest, I did not see that coming.

Where VVM goes now is a complete mystery.

Thee bookies are running to the hills...Lotta blank space on oddshcecker. so as usual they are no help.

I already threw my 10cents worth in last week when I said Limini would go mares and VV mag Champion Hurdle.
Can't see Ricci not wanting to go for the big one especially after that

I've donated a fair amount to B365 last night making crazy bets. Waking up this morning with a sore head and a very unhappy Mrs is a lesson well and truly learnt for me.

was Mrs DJ unhappy because (a) you were tipsy (b) you were betting (c) your were betting tipsy or (d) other?

I haven't looked closely enough at the race to tell yet, PJ......2/1 just instinctively feels too short for a horse with no track or trip form, and who might not act on quicker ground.

This festival is looking less and less like a betting one and more a watching brief. I think the only way of making money is probably laying the favourites. Most races look wide open now.

Each to their own, of course, but the day I hold a "watching brief" at the Cheltenham Festival will never come.

The markets are so competitive, and so liquid, with extra places, 1/4 the odds however many runners etc, you'd be mad not to punt the festival. Mathematically you should win money regardless of whether you're any good.

Apologies gents, was talking through my frustration. I have absolutely no doubt I will be dipping my hand into my pocket during the festival. At this point I am usually piling on the short price multiples with the Mullins/Henderson hotpots which guarantee decent returns from 4-6 winners. Look across the favourites this time and I couldn't confidently predict 3 winners let alone more. Just means I will be backing individual horses and therefore not making as much.

I haven't looked closely enough at the race to tell yet, PJ......2/1 just instinctively feels too short for a horse with no track or trip form, and who might not act on quicker ground.

I share your thoughts.

plenty of good things have been turned in this race.

im confident ill back him on the day at bigger prices

i like Augusta Kate in the shorter race too by the way. Nice price and was putting it up to DD last time out

As a backer of Finnians Oscar at a big price to win the Neptune its difficult for me to oppose him but having reviewed his races last night I am coming to the conclusion he should be in the Supreme.

You're not the only one still pondering this question. From the Tizzard briefing linked to on the Cheltenam 2016/17 thread by DG:

"We never thought when we bought him with chasing in mind that Finian's Oscar would be favourite for the Neptune (Investment Management Novices' Hurdle) at The Festival. He has progressed beyond our expectations. He is also in the Supreme (Sky Bet Supreme Novices' Hurdle) over two miles and we will leave it a bit longer to decide which to go for. He never broke into a sweat after his last race and is a good horse.

"There has been quite a few Champion Hurdlers who have run in the Neptune in the past so you cannot go there thinking you are going to take on slower horses. I am favouring two miles, five furlongs, but I don't know why as he is a brother to Finian's Rainbow, a two-miler. He came through the point-to-points ranks and does not stop

God knows what I was on when I posted this. Especially given how much I subsequently tore into last week and again this morning! What a numpty

Politilogue in the JLT. A nice horse for the future but may find 2M4F too sharp. He'll need at least three miles to show his best, imho.

If he can win over 2M4F and prove me wrong all credit to him.

Hennessey at Newbury, surely. Reading through this thread makes interesting reading!

Last edited:
Back