How many race tracks have you been to:

That's great, IS. Just found out that the town we are staying near has a raceday the middle Sunday of our 2 week holiday.

Racing at Granville St Pair sur Mer sounds great.

And I see Rackham Lerouge won a bumper there in '09.

UK

All of 'em (including Great Leighs)

Ireland

Navan
Leopardstown
Punchestown
Curragh
Down Royal

France

Dieppe
Longchamp

PTP

Chipley
Easingwold

Other

Flemington
Mijas

Last edited:
England

Newbury
Newmarket (both courses)
Yarmouth
Doncaster
Kempton
Sandown
Cheltenham
Ascot
Epsom

USA
Gulfstream Park

Ire
Leopardstown

Spain
Madrid La Zarzuela
Lasarte
Sevilla

France
Longchamp
Evry
Saint cloud
Chantilly
Maissons Laffite
Aueitil
Paris Vincenne

UK:

Uttoxeter
Chester
Epsom
Ascot
Goodwood
Fontwell Park
Plumpton
Brighton
Lingfield Park
Sandown
Newbury
Bath
Newton Abbot
Folkestone
Kempton Park
Windsor
Cheltenham
Wolverhampton

USA
Centennial

AFRICA
Lusaka
Mufulira
Ndola
(For all I know, these might not even exist any more - all in Zambia.)
Port Elizabeth, South Africa

INDIA
Mumbai

AUSTRALIA
One outside Melbourne, but not where the Cup is held!

CZECH REP
Pardubice

(Only one PtP - South Godstone.)

Last edited:
the ones I have notbeen and I want to go:

England

Aintree
York
Goodwood
Chester

Ireland
Curragh
Navan
Fairyhouse
Punchestown

France
Deaville

Germany
Baden Baden

Australia
Flemington

USA
Churchill Downs
Belmont

rest of the world
Sha Tin
Meydan
Tokyo

I'd like to have a holiday in Cagnes-sur-Mer and go racing there, too. I'd like to go for Arc weekend - something I'd planned to do until finances galloped off over the horizon. I'd also like to 'do' the Breeders' Cup to enjoy fabulous American hospitality, and I'd certainly always go back to the beautiful Czech Republic for a holiday plus the Velka at Pardubice again.

Goodwood
Kempton
Sandown
windsor
Ascot
newbury
Brighton
Newmarket (both)
epsom
Yarmouth
Cheltenham
York
ripon
thirsk
Sedgefield
doncaster
Plumpton
lingfield
Aintree
warwick
Wetherby

will be visiting fontwell and huntingdon this year i think and that leaves only really cartmel and chester as ones i really want to see

overseas

leopardstown
longchamp
chantilly
happy valley

None ive actively disliked, but prefer some to others. thought aintree a bit of a let down and cant warm to epsom. Warwick isnt up to much

Sandown ticks most boxes as the best course but Kempton is my local and my home .Goodwood and cheltenham are the most special for uniqueness. Plumpton best small course and newbury grows on me each time i go

Last edited:
UK:
Kempton
Lingfield
Epsom
Sandown
Plumpton
Fontwell
Warwick
Folkestone
Cheltenham
Huntingdon
Newmarket Rowley
Newmarket July
Brighton
Wincanton
Market Rasen

Am also trying to get to all of them and in Ireland aswell.

Love the racing at Cheltenham, but as a local Lingfield is a friendly place to go, cannot fault it anytime I've been there.

Beverley
Ripon
Chester
Aintree
Haydock
Windsor
Sandown
Newmarket Rowley
Newmarket July
Ascot

Favourite Chester
Least favourite Ascot

belmont
calder
hialeah park (wow, thats a long time back)
gulfstream park
keeneland
(been to churchhill downs too, but only for a morning workout)
flemington
the other melbourne track (cant remember name of hand)
longchamp
st cloud
chantilly

baden baden
hamburg
bremen
hoppegarten
cologne
krefeld
dortmund
gelsenkirchen (of course now defunct)
düsseldorf
munich
hannover
mühlheim
bad doberan
(there might be the odd other one in germany i cant think of at mo)

wincanton
sandown
newbury
epsom
ascot
market rasen
warwick
nottingham
york
doncaster
thirsk
bangor-on-dee
great leighs
aintree
newmarket rowley
newmarket july
lingfield
beverley
cheltenham
goodwood
haydock
kempton
pontrefract
ripon

curragh
leopardstown
thurles

Last edited:
yes, both acutally!! spent a couple of month in melbourne years and years ago, bored to tears eventually so went to all tracks. one melbourne cup and what ever racing was on at the others at the time. seem to remember a Classic as well, but not sure. was a traumatic time and sooo long ago ;)

Crazy, how many racecourses are there in Germany? Did racing continue when the country was partitioned - I would've thought that 'East Germany' would not have had the money to invest in any sort of sport they considered to be a bourgeois luxury.

@kri - there is dresden in east (which i think I forgot to mention on my list anyway, but is crap so doesnt count), magdeburg has one (mainly flooded though), leipzig too. well, they had their own derby at all, and hoppegarten, what i still consider to be germanys best and most beautifull racetrack now, was of course in east as well. in fact, there is still such a thing as "east" and "west" germany in racing, as "east" tracks are heavily subsidized, a cause for much debate over here.

only one sire sort of survived the re-union though, a horse called Tauchsport. he was an east derby-winner, and a very very tough horse, and sired many good jumpers, of course he is the sire of registana, who ran at cheltenham with peter gehm shortly before he had his horrible accident. many east-bred horses were simply disposed for meat once a the wall came down, shame really.

sorry to get into such detail, not the right thread in any way ...

any questions, ask us.- jimmys been a local for more than 20 years, we might even be there ourselves. a really nice track, even though it might fail to impress an english-man (in Berlin haha - I hate that Sting-song) - but I´d stick to what I´ve said above. and certainly BY FAR the best toilets ! (more to look forward to, Gamla :)

I’ve sipped a hot whisky in the bar at the top of the stands doing my nuts on a Thurles bumper.

I abandoned the car and sprinted the last mile to have €250 on Boss Doyle the 11/10 joint favourite with Sackville in a hurdle race won by Be My Belle on Thystes day in Gowran Park.

From a bar in the city centre I talked my way into joining a group of lads from the north with premium level tickets on Champions Stakes day in Leopardstown. Justin Flood returned my €500-€400 Alamshar ticket with his usual quip “Duck or no dinner”. He was right.

Limerick has been the scene of many a good knees up. Future owners beware they will leave anyone into the owner and trainers bar. Many an ear war burnt in there.

In the blazing sun of the Curragh on Derby day I rang my girlfriend at the time that was flying out on holiday. I told her I was missing her, I lied.

I've often held court in the bars in Mallow racecourse and never had a bet. Please note they only stock Jameson upstairs.

I attended a midweek meeting in Kemton the Tuesday before the Open meeting. The lady on the pitch fooled by my boyish good looks urged me to be more cautious and not do in my tank before Cheltenham. I reassured her I was flying out that day and asked for €250-€200 I’msingtheblues. It’s great that they accept euros but they never return any.

I was 18 and rather naive when I arrived into the Cheltenham betting ring with my tank in my sock. I removed my shoe quickly when the 9/4 Istabraq came into view. Walking was more comfortable when Hors La Loi obliged for 50/1 ante post backers.

:lol:

Post of the year so far, for me, without a doubt.
Sir, your manly composure in the face of wagering adversity as outlined above is most admirable!

:lol:

Post of the year so far, for me, without a doubt.
Sir, your manly composure in the face of wagering adversity as outlined above is most admirable!

Thanks. I forgot to mention taking the odds on €160-€240 Whataboutya in a hunter chase in a Tipperary evening meeting one June. As they came under orders I was already creeping for the exit, swapping the company of three nurses in short skirts for the train home. It was a hasty return when he obliged by 2 1/2 lengths.

Grand post, Gearoid - God knows what a fund of tales you'll have by the time you hit 30!

Thanks for the interesting insights on the German courses, Crazy. (Love REGISTANA - saw her win the Velka for Peter before he met with disaster on von der Recke's gallops. Small, tough, wiry little animal she was - looked more like ATTRACTION than an extreme jumper, but with correct legs!)

Back