How many race tracks have you been to:

Gears, I was meaning that if you're concerned about some plonker beaning a small kid in the future, Leopards should be told what happened. I'm sure they can afford to pay some bloke the minimum hourly rate to stand guard and deter a possible future incident which might have a nastier outcome. It's not whether it's Ireland or Timbuctoo, or whether anyone gave a tom-tit or not - you raised the possibility of a kid getting whacked and what the course doesn't know about, it can't address.

I'm glad you weren't smacked in the head or face.

Did you enjoy them, c/l? I've been to Naas the place, but not the course. Looked very neat and tidy, but don't know if the course is the same.

Gearoid, I strongly agree with Krizon that you should report that incident. Behaviour like that has to be stopped.

Going back to the original thread my wife and I have been to all the racecourses in the UK apart from Ffos Las. In a sense it just happened, think we'd been to about three dozen and it dawned on us we could do the rest with a bit of planning and a bit of luck. For example, Bangor and Carlisle from staying in Chester and then Ayr. Kelso to Aintree took some driving and the last one we did was Taunton - lovely city which we had not been to before as adults.
Had an absolutely great time, not just the racing but also the places we stayed in.

Hope to get to Ffos Las this year and sometime Down Royal, which would make a clean sweep of UK tracks.
richard

You've been to Downpatrick, Richard?

And is there any track you won't be rushing back to?

Grey,
Haven't been to Downpatrick. Love to go to more Irish tracks but have been only to The Curragh and Punchestown.
The one track in the UK we'd prefer never to see again is Wolverhampton.

richard

Gearoid, I strongly agree with Krizon that you should report that incident. Behaviour like that has to be stopped.

I e-mailed them on their website last night. I got a call from Tom Burke the racecourse manager this morning. His opinion is that someone threw the bottle rather than it falling from upstairs. I'm impressed by his professionalism in following up my complaint so quickly and I'm glad to have at least pointed out the incident. As a gesture of goodwill he has offered me tickets the next time I'm going racing. I will certainly be taking him up on the offer.

I e-mailed them on their website last night. I got a call from Tom Burke the racecourse manager this morning. His opinion is that someone threw the bottle rather than it falling from upstairs. I'm impressed by his professionalism in following up my complaint so quickly and I'm glad to have at least pointed out the incident. As a gesture of goodwill he has offered me tickets the next time I'm going racing. I will certainly be taking him up on the offer.

Well done, Gearoid

Grey,
Haven't been to Downpatrick. Love to go to more Irish tracks but have been only to The Curragh and Punchestown.
The one track in the UK we'd prefer never to see again is Wolverhampton.

richard

Richard, if you're looking to complete the set of racecourses in GB + NI you'll have to include a visit to Downpatrick as well as Down Royal.

I was at Jullouville races with my wife and two kids on Saturday. Pictures are in the link below. You can see the Bull family in photo 28.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/detail_g...-reportage-photo_8798-186890_GaleriePhoto.Htm

Jullouville is a beach in Normandy. It was basically like Laytown, only chariot racing.

It cost €5 for each adult to enter. Children got in for free. Children got free presents, pony rides, cake, drink and face painting. My boys loved it. Food and drink was very cheap.

The racing was nuts. The circuit is tighter than Chester, and it is a lot more difficult to overtake when you are in a chariot.

I was at Jullouville races with my wife and two kids on Saturday. Pictures are in the link below. You can see the Bull family in photo 28.

http://www.ouest-france.fr/detail_g...-reportage-photo_8798-186890_GaleriePhoto.Htm

Jullouville is a beach in Normandy. It was basically like Laytown, only chariot racing.

It cost €5 for each adult to enter. Children got in for free. Children got free presents, pony rides, cake, drink and face painting. My boys loved it. Food and drink was very cheap.

The racing was nuts. The circuit is tighter than Chester, and it is a lot more difficult to overtake when you are in a chariot.

Pat Healy watch your back!!! Was that Davy Russell with a heavily disguised Charles Byrnes in photo 13..... looks like they just pulled off another coup with a yoke down the bottom of the handicap....:ninja:

Question:

Is it usual in chariot racing for races to start from the centre of the course in two Indian files?

I presume that it was a handicap, with the better horses starting at the back of the Indian files.

If you send the tape to EC1 he will do an analysis of the sectionals.....:ninja:

I used to drive for Rod Millman
Although I've not been to that many different courses, I've actually been to most of these courses more than five times each at least!

Ascot
Bath
Cheltenham
Chepstow
Doncaster
Epsom
Exeter
Goodwood
Kempton
Leicester
Lingfield
Newbury
Nottingham
Newton Abbot
Newmarket July course
Newmarket rowley
Redcar
Salisbury
Sandown
Stratford
Taunton
Uttoxeter
Warwick
Wincanton
Windsor
Worcester

However if you want to see a completely random course that I was at last week this is Sousse racecourse in Tunisia.
4af8c87b.jpg

Last edited:
Now I can officially add BRIGHTON to my list of tracks and have to say a MASSIVE (imagine that word in 20ft high letters!) to Krizon for her assistance today - despite the thunder, lightning, deluge and general wetness that was going on she still took time to say hi despite her busy workload. First time in a few years the other 'arf managed an oncourse win so to celebrate he made it two wins - trouble was my mother had three so a good day had by all (even me despite not winning). Journey back was horrendous though, great till the M25/M23 junction where is showed major traffic congestion on the M25 so stuck to the M23 and ended up 5miles from home in solid traffic :(

Still got the week off so cant complain too much!

Couldn't believe the weather today! Bally, you missed my finest moment, then, with 5th race winner ROYAL DEFENCE - only Karen Quinn (Michael's o/h) was there and it meant that someone would have to hold the horse while she went up for a slightly long-winded presentation by Lee McKenzie. I offered and Karen said he was very easy, would just walk in circles. Which we did - round and round, then he took a very polite drink from the big water barrel. Round and round, and another refreshment stop. Round and round... and this time he headed for the bucket, mostly used to slosh water over the horses. No water in it - so, as he tried to suck up a few drops from the bottom, I pulled his head out of it. At which point he stepped straight into it, made a helluva clatter, and broke the bottom! I am now in slight disgrace with the Clerk of the Course, who demands I buy a new bucket, on pain of death.

Back