I’m not feeling it....

There are various reason for the drop in attendances at race meeting. Ticket prices and the price f a pint are only a very small part of the problem.

The country continues to change. From 2011 to 2023, the percentage of people in the white British ethnic group went down from 80.5% to 72.5%

Many of these groups are not into racing they prefer watch Arsenal and Liverpool

The cost of living has gone through the roof but people selling accommodation just keep increasing prices through greed.

Poor cards dominated by Odds on shots punters can't afford to back were more than ever this year and Constitution Hill the most popular horse since Arkle didn't turn up.......7000 alone down on Tuesday

How much to rent space....I bet he had to sell hundreds just to break even

Yes,I agree there Tan.many years ago a guy told me how much it cost to have a van at the Royal Show and I thought the same there.
Is that why the guineas is so dear..?

If people didn't pay the prices they wouldn't be able to virtually auction off the burger van spaces, which in turn means the vendors are more inclined to hike prices to maintain/maximise profits.

If people stopped buying it the business would give it up as a waste of time and the coursewould need to reduce prices to attract them back.

Racegoers need to be disciplined but since they're [generally] not disciplined in betting matters they're unlikely to be discipined in other aspects of the experience.

We're basically getting what we deserve.

Maybe next year or atsome future year the forum should organise a week in Spain for the festival!

A "friend" on another forum has been going to Spain Cheltenham week for years.dont know if he still does.

A friends wife was telling me at the weekend she used to work for the racecourse organising the stalls (shopping village that used to be). As they wanted to get more and more hospitality, they hiked up the cost for these trade stands so only the very affluent traders can afford to be there. I mentioned that the milliners there were selling their cheapest hat for about £800. She said that was her point entirely.

The points that both Maurice and Truncheon make above are entirely valid in terms of the overall cost.

I've been to Wembley Finals, and I travelled. There is always sufficient accommodation within travelling distance at pretty normal prices if I'd wanted to do that instead. the same is true with Cheltenham.

Cheltenham is indeed 4 Wembley finals in four days, but we can all decide how many days to attend if any. We also decide what our betting bank is, and stake accordingly. I'm not a small stakes punter, but in years gone by I was. I just did what I could afford, and if I couldn't I didn't do it.

The overriding point though is that those costs have always been there. It's getting close to 40 years I've been going now, and having a bet, and paying for accommodation has been part of that. I rent a house with a couple of close friends. The same house each year and we pay eighty pounds each a night. We walk to the course every day. In leaner times I travelled in each day to save the cost, I had a bet far more selectively, and to much smaller stakes than I do now. I adjusted. I still do. Going to Cheltenham is the highlight of my year. I love it. Cheltenham is my equivalent of some paying for their season ticket at the Rugby or the Football. Something that I'd suggest over the year costs at least as much and probably more.

But I also realise that Cheltenham is not the same for everyone. So I'm not trying to make a one-sided case. I just don't think the level of criticism aimed at the Racecourse itself is entirely fair. They're certainly capable of shooting themselves in the foot. I'm one of the first jumping up and down when they do, to the extent that I contact them directly and have a full vent, but other than the cost of entry, anything else is entirely up to us. And it is absolutely the case that by comparison to other sporting events they are at the lower end of the cost spectrum.

On the subject of affordability -has everyone registered with rewards 4 racing.Anyone with a half decent turnover with the major bookmakers would have no problem getting a ticket of two for the festival.Basically it rebates 1% of turnover.Friends of mine have done really well out of it -unfortunately at least 98% of my turnover is on the exchange which isn't in the scheme.

On the subject of affordability -has everyone registered with rewards 4 racing.Anyone with a half decent turnover with the major bookmakers would have no problem getting a ticket of two for the festival.Basically it rebates 1% of turnover.Friends of mine have done really well out of it -unfortunately at least 98% of my turnover is on the exchange which isn't in the scheme.

That's a very good point.

It pays for my membership every year Luke. I then pay for my seat in the Grandstand on the finishing line. All in after using my points I'm a member for the year and I have seat in the main stand on the finishing line for just over four hundred pounds. By any stretch that is better value than any other major sporting event I can think of. In fact it's extraordinarily good value.

It pays for my membership every year Luke. I then pay for my seat in the Grandstand on the finishing line. All in after using my points I'm a member for the year and I have seat in the main stand on the finishing line for just over four hundred pounds. By any stretch that is better value than any other major sporting event I can think of. In fact it's extraordinarily good value.

A friend of mine got 5Gold Cup day tickets through R4R -another friend was telling me he had a turnover of €150K for a loss of €3K on bet365-God knows what he got.

Back