I’m not feeling it....

Hope so, it always is a treat .
Just wondering from Cheltenham natives on here who is the person who has a back garden marquee Festival week on the Prestbury side of the racecourse behind the horse box/bus park ?
We called in there after racing five years ago; it was a right spot with large tvs , food , bar and band resident.
Tote wagon was parked just outside the hedge in the bus park and you could see straight across at the grandstands and enclosure.
For anyone smarting at the admission prices this could be an option.

Hope so, it always is a treat .
Just wondering from Cheltenham natives on here who is the person who has a back garden marquee Festival week on the Prestbury side of the racecourse behind the horse box/bus park ?
We called in there after racing five years ago; it was a right spot with large tvs , food , bar and band resident.
Tote wagon was parked just outside the hedge in the bus park and you could see straight across at the grandstands and enclosure.
For anyone smarting at the admission prices this could be an option.
We used to park there. It was a great spot. You have to get there early, though, as it’s very popular.

Maybe it’s a different place to the one you’re talking about! We used to park in someone’s back garden just past the racecourse. They used to do posh meals for people (well, posh by my standards!) in a marquee. But they also had a beer tent with a screen to watch the racing on. You could buy tea, coffee and hot dogs. On the racecourse side there was a bookie so you could put bets on. And you could see the horses running past, just beyond the Best Mate bit.

Racing's simply run as a business to which the sport is incidental.
Why else would they put 160K into tonight's AW meeting with a maximum of 100 soectators allowed in?:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Amazing just how many negative posts there are popping up on Facebook having seen the first declarations for Day one.

Best week of the year jinny, **** the negativity. Normal life is shite and those unfortunates who never think about racing can have their usual week at the grindstone.

I know there are many things wrong with the way the Fest is constructed (just look at the atrocity of a race the NHC is this year) but surely we can focus on the positives - some cracking races, and winning some money.

Best week of the year jinny, **** the negativity. Normal life is shite and those unfortunates who never think about racing can have their usual week at the grindstone.

I know there are many things wrong with the way the Fest is constructed (just look at the atrocity of a race the NHC is this year) but surely we can focus on the positives - some cracking races, and winning some money.

Aye. Listening to some WW3 could be just around the corner.

Let's enjoy it like we should.

We’re still getting emails from Cheltenham trying to get us to buy tickets. Don’t think this has ever happened before.

This is my point. And they’re offering the option to pay in three instalments, means they must be struggling to sell them.

Sure there will be some great races and some wonderful results and stories I just don’t feel that this is an epic Cheltenham on paper. Happy to be proven wrong but the small fields and the diluted quality is spoiling it for me. On my Pointing forum someone has just posted that in 2009 the Tuesday had 100 runners. This year there are 44 declared. That is a significant drop and cannot be a move in the right direction. Not only have they managed to drop the quality but the quantity too has seemingly been affected too.

Last edited:
A lot of the British people who came to Leopardstown did so because they saw it as a decent and cheaper alternative to doing Cheltenham.

Yeah think my source has retracted his comments....!:whistle: I think he posted after seeing only seven declared for the NH Chase. As the forum is familiar with amateur racing, it was highlighted.

Last edited:
Went every year with my dad from Nortons Coin year until just before Covid. He died and I haven’t been since. My wife bought tickets for me and our son to go on Gold Cup Day. Will be strange but good. He’s so looking forward to it.

I've just checked in for my flight following a weekend of close reading up on the festival and I have gone from 4.232% to 8.123% on the excitement scale in a few days. Thankfully.
I think the Tuesday card is one of the more interesting for a long time. All but two of the races are pretty open and good betting opportunities if you can get a warm streak going.

Go safe all,

AC

Last edited:
It's definitely Chelt Festival Eve

6 races 6 short priced favs all beaten

Now we know where the trash runs before the big meeting:blink:

The day before Cheltenham, and… I’m definitely feeling it now!

I’m sort of itching to go out tonight to get the party started prematurely, but that would be a bad move, given that I will partake of three days of the pish this week.

I also have my biggest ever pot, and I’ve been backing ante-post to my heart’s content for the last week. Cheltenham is my holiday, and I am going to enjoy it.

The day before Cheltenham, and… I’m definitely feeling it now!

I’m sort of itching to go out tonight to get the party started prematurely, but that would be a bad move, given that I will partake of three days of the pish this week.

I also have my biggest ever pot, and I’ve been backing ante-post to my heart’s content for the last week. Cheltenham is my holiday, and I am going to enjoy it.

:D

:thumbsup:

I'm off the swaally for Lent (as always) so focusing entirely on getting through the week losing as little as possible while betting like a nutter.

Last edited:
Back