I Was Wondering...

Authorised perhaps since he is out of Montjeu, Im not into breeding much but I seem to remember an article regarding Cockney Rebel's breeding as unfashionable.

I would have to go with Authorized

but Manduro would be a horse i would like to send mares to when he goes to stud.

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 26 2007, 09:14 AM
Manduro would be a horse i would like to send mares to when he goes to stud.
I'm sure Manduro will be relieved to hear it :)

Are Derby winners still worth the millions they once were when sold to Japan etc? For awhile they all seemed to go to stud, fail, and end up as National Hunt stallions. Look at Benny the Dip. Middle distance stallions seem to be unpopular with breeders who prefer something like the late great Danehill.

However, Galileo is doing fine!

I wonder what Pivotal is insured for?

Well value is based on likely stud fees. I would imagine Dylan Thomas - winner over 1m4f (Irish Derby) and the Irish Champion Stakes (1m2f),against all ages, a son of Danehill (half sister to Group 1 winning Queens Logic) would be set a high mark.

Authorized has the potential to be worth more but he still has to prove himself at shorter trips and against his elders. Galileo (who has a better pedigree and race record by the end of his career) didn’t stand for that much (relatively) when he retired.

If Authorized can prove himself as effective at a mile and a quarter as at a mile and a half, I would say he would be the most attractive stallion prospect in Europe.. he was a Group 1 winner at 2 as well..

Dylan Thomas, Rail Link and Manduro are all obviously other attractive stallion prospects in their own rights..

As for Henrythenavigator, you'd have to hold a gun to Magnier's head to get him to give him up (especially as he is by Kingmambo), but he would fetch in the region of 6-7 million euro at this minute..

This isn't a matter of opinion. At this moment in time Authorised is worth more than most of the rest of these mentioned put together. This could change by the end of the season though.

George Washington (tremendous racehorse that he is) has barely any residual value. To achieve value he would have to return to stud and prove himself there.

...depends where he stands and to what extent the size of his book is restricted.

Darley don’t tend to over charge until the stallion is proven, but if they want unrestricted access to him they may restrict access to outsiders. If the stallion were to be used on a restricted basis by application his fee would be high.

Most Darley stallions can be got for £10,000 or less (sometimes much less) with the foal guaranteed. Something like Singspiel you would have to go higher (around £25,000 or so). Restricted stallions can be anything.

Darley do a huge number of foal shares, so it is very difficult to actually work out a price for their stallions.

For example;

I sent CALYPSO LADY to SULAMANI on a foal share. It was SULMANI's first season and he was advertised at £7k. Darley paid me for 50% of the mares' keep, her transport to and from stud and prep fees. They require you to use a reputable sales prep yard but it was down to me whether or not she sold as a foal or yearling. I elected to sell her as a foal, as she was pleasant but no star and she made £4K.

So you work it out as to what SULAMANI'S fee was !

Given that its likely he will stand in England and cover a fairly decent sized book (what stallion have Darley ever restricted?) what fee do you estimate?

Like I say it’s whatever stand they want to take with him. It could be £15,000 let’s say (if he stands in England at Darley), but this would also depend on what he did for the rest of the season and how available the Arabs want to make him. Like Julie says it is often not as simple as that either. If he stood at one of their other studs they could opt to totally or partially restrict him if they were of that persuasion. Nashwan (owned by Hamdan Al Maktoum), for example, was available on a restricted basis by application at Shadwell Stud and the fee no doubt set according to whether they desired a mating with a particular mare.

Authorized of course has a political aspect to him. I’ve given up second-guessing what they might do in this type of situation.

Well, he's a first foal so that will count gainst him a little, I would have thought. Too early to say whether MONTJEU will be a sire of sires and personally, FUNSIE doesn't excite me particularly. Of course, she's got a great horse in AUTHORIZED, don't doubt it, but the big question to ask is do you think he has the qualities to be a good stallion?

Personally, I would have liked for her to have proven herself on the racecourse - she's unraced - and her siblings are good but not great and I'm a tremendous believer that if I'm going to pay good money for a stallion, it's the dam line that I want to see as being exceptional, because stallions obviously cover huge numbers of mares but mares get limited opportunity to prove they are producers - so when they do (like HASILI, FALL ASPEN, LITTLE HUT etc) then their sons are particularly attractive as stallion prospects.

I reckon AUTHORIZED will be around £25 - 30K

Originally posted by Songsheet@Jun 29 2007, 11:34 AM
I reckon AUTHORIZED will be around £25 - 30K
Could be. Although that sounds a bit toppy for Darley. Depends how commercial they want to make him.

If he were to flop in subsequent races he'd fetch much less despite winning the Derby.

Back