In Memoriam (Racing People)

A great man who gave so much to NH racing and the Grand Nat in particular

RIP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A great man who loved the sport.
He bought a farm near Kanturk thirty years ago, selling it for a smaller place a few years ago.
As a member of the local Lismire Development Association, I drafted a letter welcoming him t the area, congratulating him on his first Irish winner and forecasting his green and yellow halved racing silks would become as synonymous as the Mc Manus silks.
He sent us a few quid, sponsored the local Lismire GAA team and received a Hedgehunter team jersey when the horse won the Grand National.
My favourite story about Trevor revolves around a hen hut , in ruins that spoiled the paddock nearest the house in Monymusk, his Kanturk farm.
The local contractor wanted to bull doze it away, Trevor told him to stone and reroof it and get hens for it.
A war baby, Trevor had been relocated from London to Lancashire and the only eggs available were powder eggs which tasted worse than they sound.
So Trevor kept hens on all his farms; when you have eggs you have a meal, when they are unavailable you cannot eat money as a substitute.
His first Irish trained racehorse was fittingly The Hen Hut who was his first Irish winner trained by Eugene O'Sullivan of Lovely Citizen fame.
Rest In Peace Trevor, you were an Aintree legend !

Last edited:
He’s going to leave a big gap. Hopefully one of his children will continue to run horses in his colours.

I was at Charlie Nelsons when he had his very first winner, Northern Trust. He was a lovely chunky little horse who everyone in the yard loved riding, including me. But the other secretary, Annabel, usually used to be his regular partner. I remember Mr Hemmings as a total gentleman. Absolutely no side to him whatsoever. RIP.

RIP

I guess Collier Bay who beat Alderbrook in his CH would have been his best. Also remember Mole Board

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Bought my mare from him after not being able to buy her as a foal, was actually talking about him the other day as when I bought my mare was told he was winding down and selling off some of his horses at the age of 78 and that was 2009, and was wondering how he was. Very loyal owner.

Andrew McNamara of Croom Limerick, trainer of Boreen Prince among others and father to jockeys Andrew and Robbie.
A great character of Irish racing.
Rip.

Boreen Prince beating Buck House to win the 1985 Arkle before being one of six to dispute the lead at the second last in the Gold Cup 48 hours later is a favourite memory of my racing mad teenage years.

Last edited:
Andrew qualified as a vet in 1970 and worked in Kanturk for Liam Hutch Gurteenard Stud.(father of Dan of Missunited fame)
There was a National veterinary strike in 1975 re Tb testing so Andrew started training racehorses.
In the early 1980s he trained a filly for Mr Hutch who eventually won a flat maiden at Tramore as a four yr old .
Named African Doll she was dam of Dont Forget Me, dual 2000 Gns winner in 1987.
Andrew was always the last man to leave any racecourse so enjoyed his life to the full.
The success of his sons led him to boast that he was a better sire of jockeys and trainers than John Magnier !
Rest In Peace

Back