In Memoriam (Racing People)

I rode out for him a few times as I was friends with his secretary. Really lovely guy and a proper trainer. I knew he hadn’t been well for a long time now.

I absolutely loved the guy. I will never forget him getting off Cuckolder to ride Summerville in the last race the year Ten Up won the Gold Cup

It took me 2 minutes to find this post from theRacing Forum in 2008

Bird’s Nest Beacon Light and Tree Tangle all had one thing in common. Andy Turnell very often had you thinking they were all going better in their races than they actually were. I think Andy invented the P Hide P Carberry style of riding where you think the horse is cruising but finds nothing.

Not knocking Andy in any way at all as he was my hero back then and could put a horse to sleep better than anyone riding. I don’t know how many times I backed Tree Tangle but like Birds Nest and Beacon light you could back him without thinking when the opposition was remotely weak.

The horses that came out of the Turnell yard back then makes the mind boggle. Horses like Summerville, Cuckolder, April the Seventh etc were all favs of mines.

RIP missed you then miss you now

Jimmy Lindley.

Very decent jockey in his time and came across as a very nice person.

RIP

(Sadly, in my opinion, the BBC employing him as a paddock commentator and pundit was the beginning of the end for serious racing viewers. That's the reason we have clowns like Luke Harvey foisted on us these days.)

Jimmy was riding as I was just getting into races and when I saw he had passed away immediatly, without having to even, think about it Indiana came to mind.

I know he finished 2nd in the Derby but I never saw the race at the time but then won the St Leger at 100/7 on him and not knowing Lester from a bucket of hay Jimmy became one of my early heroes.

I was quite shocked to see he was in his 80'S when he passed.......a timely reminder that we are here for a good time not for a long time. RIP JL and thanks for the memories.

My oldest brother has just texted me to say he's just noticed JL's passing. "... always liked him, especially if he wasn't on my horse."

My oldest brother has just texted me to say he's just noticed JL's passing. "... always liked him, especially if he wasn't on my horse."

A tad unfair, and creates a poor impression of Lindley's abilities. I'd rate him in the top ten jockeys of his era, if not the top 6. That he didn't ride an enormous number of winners was mainly due to his weight, which forced him to become a hurdles jockey for more than a year. He rarely rode at less than 8-10 so his choices in handicaps were limited. He retired at the age of 39.
He rode often for Towser Gosden and should have ridden Charlottown in the Derby. Breasley got the plaudits but it was Lindley who had ridden him in all his wins up to then. He was stable jockey for Jeremy Tree at Beckhampton for many years and rode a Classic winner for him. This was not the Tree stable of the '80s when Juddmonte changed everything.
When Mercer was delayed in India at the start of the 1970 season he became the substitute stable jockey at West Ilsley and enjoyed good wins on the classy Highest Hopes and Charlton. Incidentally he was the first top jockey to ride Brigadier Gerard in stable gallops..
At the end of the '66 season he was offered the stable jockey position at Warren Place. He declined out of loyalty to Tree. He was then offered the job of riding Royal Palace in all his 1967 races. He wanted to take the position but when asking for this dispensation from Tree, was denied it as Tree said he had a few Derby colts. It was no surprise when he left Beckhampton at the end of 1967. He then formed a productive partnership with a young trainer called Harwood.
A stylish and very strong jockey (compared with today's pilots who struggle to keep their charges on a straight course), he was highly regarded. Your brother is welcome to his opinion but I doubt he knew more than Hern and Murless.

He wasn't being entirely serious, ED. It's more an indication of his sense of humour. I'm the baddie for posting it on here.

Julie Cecil was a wonderful lady. It was a sad day when she and Henry parted company and he left her for the hotel maid! The start of his struggles. Julie maintained her dignity throughout and remained a very popular and much loved resident of Newmarket.

Ann Ferris.(80)
One tough lady who was p2p Champion Rider in Ireland in mid 70s as well as riding Irian to winIrish Sweeps Hurdle , Bentom Boy to win 1984 Irish National and three Ulster National winners, mostly trained by her father Willie Rooney who in his time held record for most p2p wins
Died June 23 so Rest In Peace.

George McGrath , Irish Flat Champion jockey 1965 and 1970.
Won 1973 Irish Derby on Weaver's Hall and 1984 Irish 2000 Gns on Sadlers Wells when second jockey to Pat Eddery at Ballydoyle.
Rest In Peace.

Would I be right in saying he rode Sadler's Wells in his first 3races that year.

The first race meeting I ever went to was at the Phoenix Park in 1973.

I can remember very little of it other than George McGrath won the first race on a horse trained by Kevin Prendergast.

RIP George.

Mr A J (Jim) Wilson.
Best associated with Little Owl and Willie Wumpkins , he was a leading amateur rider in my formative years .
Also managed to train a Festival winner , Taberna Lord.
Rest In Peace

In tribute, the last of Willie Wumpkins three (yes, three) consecutive Coral Golden Hurdle wins...

Watched each one with my Dad, with some pennies on each time, too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vsKUdlL6ofc

Some horse, and some jockey/trainer. Thank you both. RIP Jim Wilson.

I just saw it on Facebook but was hoping there had been a terrible mistake. My heart goes out to his family. Awful. Just awful.

Back