Irish 2 year olds

Cantoris

At the Start
You have to think the Irish two year olds could do very well at Royal Ascot considering how High Award ran them ragged today. Not a bad race and I wonder did Coolmore want to get a marker ahead of Royal Ascot.

Thats the one. Tashqueel is a Medicean colt. He will be no back number either.

Last edited:
Yes, I was only given his breeding. Both are high on the pecking order. Id be surprised if the 2yo that won last Sunday is the highest rated at the end of the season.

Last edited:
I think High Awards's experience, as much as anything else, won the day yesterday and not sure it can be used as a guide to the Irish two year olds with much certainty.

What ! Not even Strong Suit ?

I don't know any of the English two year olds. I was just reading the article about him in the RP on Sunday (and a good and frank article it was too) and he said he didn't think the English 2 year olds were up to much. He did mention Strong Suit alright. I was just impressed by the way High Award sluiced up on Saturday. Even counting experience, it was a good performance from a horse that would be well down the Irish two year old pecking order.

Last edited:
Perhaps, but that 2yo race at Epsom would not represent anything like the best 2 year olds in England.

Perhaps, but that 2yo race at Epsom would not represent anything like the best 2 year olds in England.

As I said, I'm not up with the flat form. I just saw a few winners and plenty of support for horses in the race.

Looking at Betfair 4/1 might be the opening show. That would be a very fair price. I really dont rate the OBrien horse but maybe others could tell me there opinion.

I thought the O'Brien horse ran a fairly encouraging race at the Curragh. Certainly looked to be crying out for a step up in trip.

To save others the trouble:

"the 2yo that won last Sunday" is Longhunter...

"runs tomorrow" could have been a number of horses, including in particular Tashqeel, but is in fact Dunboyne Express...

"the O'Brien horse" is Master Of Hounds...

I'll have a look at the market beforehand but I'm particularly interested in the Weld colt, the unraced Bolger colt (as opposed to the other Bolger colt) and the O'Brien second string.

Master of Hounds? It's not named after the trainer himself after his skilful placing and handling of Hawk Wing and Geoge Washington is it?

Back