Irish 2 year olds

Well done lads on Dunboyne. The two year old races lacked a bit of strength in depth but the front two in both races pulled nicely clear. On the other races, Rayeni will be much better suited when the ground turns soft. He looked a little ill at ease on the ground. Duff is a cert when dropped back to 6f. Accidental Outlaw looks a redy made winner over 1m4f. I think Murtagh threw the last away by being a little too far back and hitting trouble in the straight. Not sure he would have won anyway. In Clonmel, the bumper winner franked the form of Double Double's Leopardstown win which ties into Raise The Bear form. Worth watching all involved in those races.

Last edited:
I think Murtagh threw the last away by being a little too far back and hitting trouble in the straight. Not sure he would have won anyway.

I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have won. He's a bit of a slow boat and the winner came from behind him and cruised past. Nonetheless, surely it's a fair leap to see her winning the Irish Oaks Galileo!? Wasn't her stablemate who beat Scottish Reel (albeit on his debut) well turned over in a handicap off 87?
I'd imagine that the Reel is being laid out for that 1m6 maiden at Killarney in July that AOB has won for the last few years. :)

She'll be a very smart filly NN - the entry in Royal Ascot coupled with how he has been careful not to run her on very firm ground suggests they think a good bit of her. Thought she travelled with loads of class today - really taken with her and in a year seemingly with a star amongst the staying fillys I think she is interesting. Like I said, loads to find and a big step but I think she is exciting after beating the colts first time up.

She'll be a very smart filly NN - the entry in Royal Ascot coupled with how he has been careful not to run her on very firm ground suggests they think a good bit of her. Thought she travelled with loads of class today - really taken with her and in a year seemingly with a star amongst the staying fillys I think she is interesting. Like I said, loads to find and a big step but I think she is exciting after beating the colts first time up.

I take your point about Oxx and how he's campaigning her. She was visually very impressive and I've no doubt she'll improve alot. But she'll have to, because I don't think she beat a whole lot. It'll be interesting to see just how high she can go. I see she isn't entered in the Irish Oaks although she could be supplemented. Presumably, he'd want another run into her before he'd consider that? Ascot might come a bit soon?

Ah good spot with the Irish Oaks entry (or lack of) - would think she would have run and win well for them to supplement her. Either way I think she will be very smart in time!

Quotes from Oxx suggest he'll be taking his time with her.........

"She's a nice filly. She did a nice professional job and Fran rode her with confidence," said Oxx.

"He educated her well and she came through the gap like a professional. We're hoping she'll improve for the run. We weren't expecting her to win particularly but delighted she did. She's a nice stamp of a filly and I made some speculative entries with her earlier in the year. We'll wait and see and pick a three-year-old only race next. We'll take our time a bit as she might be a nice filly for the second half of the year."

Apologies for keeping this thread off topic!

Looking at tonight's action from Navan...

The first sees the Coolmore horse try and make it fourth time lucky, with opposition coming from Bolger, Ox and Weld as usual. Jesse has a nice one and the rank outsider daughter of Choisir could be anything.

Your thoughts on the race Gus?

The first sees the Coolmore horse try and make it fourth time lucky, with opposition coming from Bolger, Ox and Weld as usual. Jesse has a nice one and the rank outsider daughter of Choisir could be anything.

I thought the Emperor looked a bit of a rogue on his 2nd run. However, his last run in a good maiden at the Curragh is interesting. He was stuck out the back going nowhere, got no run, and then got in the clear and flew home. No match for the very smart winner but the 5th ran very well last night and the
6th won next time out. You'd go broke backing those fast finishing 'unlucky' losers and I see he has the blinkers on tonight, but I think he's well capable of winning this.

The Charles O'Brien horse in the later maiden is interesting. I thought she ran a decent race first time out and will improve, but the money for the AOB horse in this race might be significant.

Finally, Mister Carter hasn't gone on as it looked he might but he's surely too big at 7-1 in the 4 runner last?

Last edited:

I couldn't have summed it up better.

Looking at the Coventry - is Murtagh confirmed to ride Samuel Morse? He is 3/1 while Zoffany is as big as 7/1. They will flip flop is Murtagh surprises a few and goes for Zoffany.

Be surprised if they run both in the Coventry Gal - think I've seen Samuel Morse has an entry in the Windsor Castle so presume Zoffany has other entries also.

Back