Irish Champion Hurdle Weekend

Had the artist been reading Terry Pratchett's Discworld novel Mort? "[FONT=&quot]Death once tried a skeleton horse after seeing a woodcut of himself on one - Death is easily influenced by that sort of thing - but he had to keep stopping to wire bits back on."

[/FONT]

I hope this doesn't distract from the brilliantly appropriate statue of Snow Fairy on the other side of the ring. When I think of Leopardstown, Snow Fairy is the horse that always springs to mind.

Faugheen or no, the show goes on.

A few of us will be meeting at 12.00 in the cafeteria on the first floor of the main stand.

Anyone who'd like a ticket for the balcony level and seats please send me a PM.

Would it be utterly ridiculous to reroute Un de Sceaux to the Champion if Faugheen does not recover.

Yes. Completely vulnerable at 2m on quicker ground, imo. Think he has a bigchance in Ryanair though.

Good luck to all the lads going to the track today. Hope you have a grand old time, and we will be back in 2018. :cool:

Last edited:
Recent history would suggest that he might get the softest ground on the Tuesday. Yorkhill the more likely candidate to be rerouted, but I think allowing UDS blast off in the Champion would be very interesting.

I'll be there today. Have heard some word for Samanntom in the handicap chase at 3:00. Aside from that I don't think I'll back much. I Like Bleu et Rouge, but probably a bit sharp for him today. Be interesting to see what Melon does.

Good luck all.

Identity thief is one of my biggest ante post bets so do hope he runs very well today.

Arctic fire is too actually, a few of us got on at the same time

Already thinking next years Arkle with Petit M

Recent history would suggest that he might get the softest ground on the Tuesday. Yorkhill the more likely candidate to be rerouted, but I think allowing UDS blast off in the Champion would be very interesting.

Fair comment, HW - though he would want it genuinely soft.

Already thinking next years Arkle with Petit M

Indeed, chances are we aren't going to have a Douvan/Altior type winning the Supreme so if PM is 4th or 5th in the Champion he could be a very nice price. Like when Sizing

Europe was 20s the Autumn before his Arkle when the previous years Supreme was pretty average.

Last edited:
Petite Mouchoir Arkle? 4th or 5th in the Champion Hurdle........We'll see but I think you are vastly underestimating the horse's hurdling ability

I'm liking that run from Footpad. Stiffer stamina test at Cheltenham sure to suit.

Petit Mouchoir good effort though. Deserves to be short for the race.

He was OR 147 before today's race. Imagine he'll go up at least 6lbs anyway, probably more.
Regarding Cheltenham, were you thinking Champion hurdle Grass, or one of the Handicaps?

I've had a handful of kopeks at 400 in the Champion Hurdle, DH.

Probably flattered today, but he went close against a very good French horse called Device at Auteuil, and isn't a complete and utter no-hoper. Would probably need it quite deep at Cheltenham to have any sort of chance (and Faugheen would need to miss the race), but I'd be hopeful he would outrun odds of 399/1! :lol:

Handicaps probably going to be off the agenda near-term, because I expect him to be violated by both OH's, given his proximity to PM.

Last edited:
I think Daryl Jacob got quite a shock that he got as close as he did. He looked like he had settled for 3rd when he was still well behind after 2 out and he took a look around to see where Gorby was.

Petite Mouchoir wouldn't want to be going off like that at Cheltenham

Hopefully Faugheen turns up and he can let him do the donkey work and "let the race begin" from 4 out where I think he'll outgun the Mullins star

Don't know how it will rate as a race if Faugheen doesn't turn up but either way today was a perfect trial and I'm sticking with Petite Mouchoir.

Back