Irish Champion Hurdle Weekend

The statue is rather nice actually. The hurdle is realistic in the flesh.

Met grey, chronic and the oh so chivalrous an capall.

Identity Thief let me down again

hurricane who looked every inch a superstar
attachment.php

attachment.php
attachment.php

Smiling paddy power during the arkle
attachment.php

The famous statue

attachment.php

There may even be a photo of forumites knocking around

Attachments

• 20170129_151601_HDR.jpg
    20170129_151601_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 76
  • 20170129_151422_HDR.jpg
    20170129_151422_HDR.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 79
  • 20170129_143327_HDR.jpg
    20170129_143327_HDR.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 78
  • 20170129_123649_HDR.jpg
    20170129_123649_HDR.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 81
Last edited:
It was great to meet granger at last, as well as chroniclandlord and his nephew Daniel, and an capall. Unfortunately edgt couldn't make it and was missed on the day.

Faugheen and Min were major absentees and were definitely missed, as were all the runners in the Irish Arkle Chase bar the sole finisher, Some Plan.

And then there were Grasshopper and Digger, who were supposed to turn up only to then announce their withdrawal from proceedings. A stewards enquiry has been opened into the disturbing explanations offered for their non-appearance. Evidence will be taken from family psychologists, the Scottish social services and a Mr P Sharkey.

UDS in the Champion Hurdle surely not - would be madness.

I think he should run in the Champion Chase and put it up to Douvan . Can't see 2m 5f suiting him round the New Course . No Sprinter Sacre to worry about this year he should have a go at the CC again .

I am afraid I must defer from the consensus of my esteemed colleagues in the matter of the statue. It looks like an angry bag of sausages belly bumping an ironing board.

This is the best angle I could find.

attachment.php

Attachments

• fly.jpg
    fly.jpg
    7.6 KB · Views: 191
I have PM 36lbs faster than Melon for the same C&D yesterday.

RPRs go 138 for Melon but I don't know if they've allowed for ease of victory.

I haven't done a comparison yet with other hurdles races on the day [over different trips] but it's hard to conclude anything other than that PM has put up a smart performance, which would imply that Footpad might be very well handicapped at Newbury.

That makes sense.

They need to decide now which should be the more important race, the Irish Gold Cup or the Lexus, and put some extra money into the pot.

That makes sense.

They need to decide now which should be the more important race, the Irish Gold Cup or the Lexus, and put some extra money into the pot.

I'd go with the Lexus

a) it's at Christmas and competes with the King george (to an extent)
b) gives a horse more time to recover in time for March
c) Lexus prob has a better winner list

Would you do the same with the December Hurdle and the Irish Champion Hurdle? To me the latter race is clearly the more prestigious one.

Would you do the same with the December Hurdle and the Irish Champion Hurdle? To me the latter race is clearly the more prestigious one.

No. Irish champion is the better race in that match up.

should actually be known as the Hurricane Fly hurdle now

im in for the festival meet up

Good stuff, PJ, it's going to be a popular weekend.

im going to take credit for the new festival.

I take a 3 week holiday every Feb and have on occasion missed the Irish GC. I voiced my concerns to the good folks at Leopardstown and the HRI over upcoming dates and they have satisfied me with this move.

Seven Grade 1s, three Grade 2s and the top handicaps with minimum race value 75k that weekend.
Meanwhile our Cheltenham Festival friends have first ticket price increase on July 5th, three months ahead of previous years.
hard Brexit indeed.

Should we go early with the GWID arrangements? Maybe the p*ssy-whipped from last year might make a show?

Flights booked for Digger and myself this morning.

The idiot Sharkey will get 72hrs notice if he wants to come, so he doesn't completely fu*ck things up like last time.

Edit: Hotel also now booked. Natch, if there are any freebie tickets going at the time, I will be pushing to the front of the queue Trump-style. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back