Irish Champion Stakes Day

I too agree he's better at 10 furlongs, however I also think he'd be effective at 12f and wouldn't be without a chance in the Arc. His 12f performances have hardly been poor!

I would think he's best left until the BC Classic now however, if that's the route they want to go with him.

Gal, any ideas where they'll go with Await The Dawn now?

Gal, any ideas where they'll go with Await The Dawn now?

Not a clue - I would just be a little wary of him considering a number of factors. Firstly he was left in the Leger, racing on softish ground that seemed to favour horses being ridden handy plus the market hardly suggested connections expected that. It will be interesting to see where he goes next though - think he is entered up over Arc weekend.

I could see both RIP and Cape Blanco going for the BC Classic this year.

With the Breeders Cup being held at Churchhill Downs this year and next year it would be a good time to see if Cape Blanco can handle the dirt with a view to next year and his schedule.

Cape Blanco is improving all the time and the distance of the Classic is perfect for him.

And if he is finishing over 10f "full of running" then he's got to have a chance of running nearly as well over 12f!

Would expect his finishing speed to be slower than Ascot given the tactics employed today to be fair.

Given how he was ridden today in comparison to virtually every other one of his wins - it is impossible to surely put his improvement down to solely the trip? Appeared to thrive for the aggressive ride rather than being ridden for a turn of foot - incidentily I am under no illusions that the aggressive ride was for Rip Van Winkle's benefit not Cape Blancos.

Given how he was ridden today in comparison to virtually every other one of his wins - it is impossible to surely put his improvement down to solely the trip? Appeared to thrive for the aggressive ride rather than being ridden for a turn of foot - incidentily I am under no illusions that the aggressive ride was for Rip Van Winkle's benefit not Cape Blancos.

he was ridden with the pace at Ascot though...its not that much of a difference in tactics..just 2 furlong shorter:D

Interesting that about the times - I wonder is the reason why some of the fields are well spread out due to maybe loose ground (rain on watered ground) and some horses not handling it rather than it being necessarily slow.

I was at Leopardstown and the ground was certainly loose on top.

I'd have thought that the Champion Stakes was the ideal target for Cape Blanco, they might try Await the Dawn there too. Another possible target for Await the Dawn might be the Prix Dollar on the Arc weekend.

I thought Long Live the King very promising in the maiden. He was very green but finished well for second under a gentle enough ride.

Someone on the Betfair forum claimed he would be favourite for the Guineas after he won today.will be a very short price next time out.

I think Music Show would have gone very close under a different jockey. Not saying by any means that she definitely would have won but Berry's tactical idiocy cost her any chance .

Just home from Leopardstown. Good day's sport. The ground seemed loose on top, but hardly a surprise given the rain on top of watered ground. Were they really still watering last night with that rain forecast? Never ceases to amaze me.

Anyway, having told Galileo :) that RIP would be running, I was a little disappointed by him in the pre parade ring. I'm not the best judge of a horse (I used to love One Cool Cat on looks!) but he's not the most impressive beast. Cape Blanco, on the other hand, is a fine specimen and did it well.

Given how many of the races were won by horses racing prominently, you'd have to be impressed by Lillie Langtry coming from off the pace. It was certainly the best finish with her nailing Spacious near the line.

Of the 2YOs, I can't imagine the fillies race was up to the usual standard. The colts race might have been ok. I wasn't convinced by the Eagle Canyon form and both his stablemates look better prospects. Long Live the King was an eyecatcher, but Exodus looked to be going nowhere and came from further back to show some promise.

Great day's racing which, IMHO, deserved a much bigger crowd.

Tricky one, after the International I thought 1m2f+ was his optimum but I'm not so sure today, he didn't pick up at all like at York.

I'd think the BC Mile will be run ideally for him though and the tight track should suit.

Tricky one, after the International I thought 1m2f+ was his optimum but I'm not so sure today, he didn't pick up at all like at York.

I'd think the BC Mile will be run ideally for him though and the tight track should suit.

none of them really did though to be fair

i'd like to see Rip back at 8f..the York race was won with speed..thats his strength..when he is stretched out to a fast run 10 he doesn't look as good..imo

Fair point, speed is a great tool to have in the BC mile too.

seems likely Stan

lets hope he isn't gone for the time being..i'm guessing that apart from CB they were all disadvantaged today..seems odd how nothing came at the end to challenge..possibly a run best forgotten for all of the beaten horses

Thanks, Nora, for confirming what I said looked like a skiddy time of it, especially on the turn in - I wonder if many today - bar a very bold, brave, and inexhaustible CAPE BLANCO - didn't feel confident of what lay underfoot if they let themselves down into it?

when he is stretched out to a fast run 10 he doesn't look as good..imo

I'm not convinced by that argument ~ his run in the Eclipse last year surely proves that being held up off a strong gallop over 10f should hold no fears.

I can't get my head around today's race to be honest, but I would tend towards thinking the form is probably somewhat unreliable. My initial impression was that they had given Cape Blanco too much rope, but watching it again none of the beaten horses are making up ground hand over fist in the final furlong by any means - they all finished in a heap.

Back