Irish Champions' Weekend

I'd agree Sheikh, even the recent upgrading of the Sandown Celebration Chase to Grade 1 seems as much to discourage the best British two milers from going to Punchestown as anything else.

5/2 DoW
3/1 The Fugue
4/1 AK
5/1 Trading Leather
6/1 Kingsbarns
10/1-12/1 Magician, Camelot, Ruler of the World.

I'd be all over ROTW or Magician but fear DoW will be the only worthwhile Ballydoyle runner.

ROTW?? What's the angle cuz I dont see him with the proverbial snowball's chance in hell of winning this unless it's a walkover.

I think he has a lot of scope and see him as the winner of a bad Derby rather than a bad Derby winner. If he's the secondary Ballydoyle rep rather than Camelot, Kingsbarns or Magician chances are he'll still be 8/1+ but I would consider him better over this sort of trip on decent good ground than the likes of Trading Leather and The Fugue.

I cannot have D of W at those prices . I suspect The Fugue will be too good on fast and Al Kazeem too good if it rains.

If there wasn't a band of rain due to come in from the Atlantic on Friday into Saturday, the Fugue would be a max for this. They'll surely wait for the Vermeille if this materialises?

If the owner has got over Da Re Mi's farcical disqualification

Whilst he's a shadow of himself and I think he should be retired, if it really does absolutely flog it down, then surely Cirrus is a bit big at 14?!

DOW is a terrible price.

There won't be that much rain.

I know Leopardstown can have it's own microclimate at times, but it's missing all of this??

Friday night : Rain will develop in the east and northeast, with a risk of some heavy bursts, especially near the east coast.

Saturday : Cold and wet in the north and east and possibly in parts of the midlands, with rain, heavy at times. (Totals of 25 mm or more are likely in some parts of the east and northeast from Friday to Saturday night). However, most of Munster, Connacht and west Leinster will be brighter on Saturday, with just a few scattered showers. Highest temperatures only 12 to 15 Celsius, in a fresh to strong northerly wind.

Hold all bets until the day.
While it should take substantial rain to change the going Declaration of War and The Fugue need it to be as fast as possible.

Is DoW really as ground dependent as I keep hearing? He's won on soft and heavy, albeit at a much lower level, but his Goodwood run on GS is every bit as good as some of his GF form, like at Newbury.

Last edited:
Pity that Gus.
Wannabe Better is interesting there.
Improving at a rate of knots and really quickened clear in her two latest races.
She is big and strong and has plenty experience. Surprised they entered her but the Stacks know their fillies..

Is DoW really as ground dependent as I keep hearing? He's won on soft and heavy, albeit at a much lower level, but his Goodwood run on GS is every bit as good as some of his GF form, like at Newbury.

He was 'wrong' at Newbury, and wasn't able to show his customary change of gear on softened ground at Goodwood.
He's a speed horse, and needs better ground to show it, plus his stamina for this would probably be compromised by significant rainfall, anyway.

Last edited:
2mm since 8am. Raining now though. Not 100% convinced of the ground excuse re AK and I'm chancing Kingsbarns at 7/1.

Back