Irish Derby

After being touched off in the Plate put some of the winnings on Trading Leather - made a nice end to the day :)

i'll stand by my view that the Derby sectionals were nothing special and lay ROTW here...poor value at evens
I'm not convinced the sectionals were the reason for both running so poorly today. The race probably just took a lot out of them.

I'm not convinced the sectionals were the reason for both running so poorly today. The race probably just took a lot out of them.

i would doubt that really as the race wasn't an energy sapper at Epsom..unlike other Derbys where the Epsom form is upheld at the Curragh after the winner has been in a real race at Epsom

given the early pace at Epsom..the late sectional should have been a lot quicker just to show an average Derby winner..today has demonstrated to me that the Derby was a below par edition as suggested by the comparatively weak finishing effort there

Last edited:
Fast times usually mean conducive conditions.

No Nay Never broke the record at Ascot last week. The next two home also ran faster than the old record.

The Irish Derby form is usually very good but ROTW and Libertarian clearly didn't turn up.

For mine, Trading Leather was incommoded by the poor pace in the Dante, and I remain convinced it was poor form overall. Libertarian got away with it again in a steadily run Derby, and clearly didn't run his race yesterday, but he remains another Godlphin ' pig in a poke', imo.

The Racing Post goes 119, so they obviously agree with you, Suny.

Mind you, they try to have it both ways by saying Trading Leather is not of the highest class at the moment but could get there, and that the race, while being only ordinary, could contain the winners of many future good races.

For what it's worth, I thought the field as a whole did not greatly impress in the parade ring. Ruler Of The World is a nice enough horse but he was sweating and most of the rest of them look ordinary enough. Libertarian is one with a bit of scope but he's already had quite a busy season.

Last edited:
Trading Leather's time was the 3rd fastest ever for the Irish Derby, only St Jovite and Galileo ran faster.

if you look at the times most of the other races you will see that they were faster than RP standard too...comparing the time to previous renewals won't tell you lots

the fastest race was Burn the boats race..2.55 seconds faster than standard...a massive amount for a sprint...especially one where the winner is rated in the late 80's..per mile that is 3.26 seconds fast against the Irish Derby time per mile of 3.22 seconds fast. I expect the straight course maybe quicker than the round though so even that comparison could be questionable...but it highlights that the ID wasn't exceptional on the clock..comparatively

i think the RP standards here are set more near Good/soft than Good as well though which means maybe the ground isn't as lightning fast as their figures suggest...hence the large faster than standard amounts

Last edited:
maybe it is really fast Slim..standard times in Ireland aren't reliable..if they are true good ground standards though...then its surely nearly hard ground just looking at that sprint time

Last edited:
Would take the RP standards on the straight course at The Curragh with a dose of salt EC - when I've done SF's the sprint races have regularly been a heck of a lot quicker than the races run on the round course.

Back