Irish Guineas

Harbinger

At the Start
Henrythenavigator runs if the ground is Good or better - anyone got a forecast?

New Approach re-opposes, as it seems Ibn Khaldun might.

Of those that haven't run in a Guineas, Famous Name might be of interest.

Scratch that about Ibn Khaldun; looks like he's off to hit a brick wall half way down the straight at Epsom instead.

Looks like Fast Company will represent Godolphin at The Curragh. Forecast looks pretty good, unless there is a big change it should ride Good at least (it is currently Good To Firm).

Surely only a handful of runners for this. Henry may not any cover this time and I could see New Approach setting some serious fractions. Think NA will get his revenge.

On fast ground I think Henry will win easier than at Newmarket. He reminds me of Rock Of Gibraltar- scraps home in the 2000 Guineas only to keep progressing with racing.

The idea that he needs cover or that NA didn't go fast enough in the 2000 Guineas ( which would have made it harder for Henry to come from where he did) will be disproved this weekend.

The Sunday card should be even better, plenty of the 1000 Guineas also rans are due to renew rivalry and the likes of Duke Of Marmalade, Ask etc due to clash in the Tattersalls.

1000 Guineas always a tricky affair usually with a big field.

DOM will love this kind or ground ..will surely have a pacemaker on Sunday. I reckon Saddex will not be going after winning today.

Originally posted by Powerscourt@May 18 2008, 08:11 PM
Interesting race in prospect all the same. Should be a massive crowd on hand this weekend.
I hope to make it..cracking weekend's racing ahead. :clap:

Any word on Soldier of Fortune, Aidan? Would have thought that the Tatts Gold Cup would represent his best chance of a Group 1 over 10f.

Declarations for Saturday.....

Curragh Sat 24th May

Entries
3.45 Boylesports Irish 2,000 Guineas (Group 1) 3-y-o
1m. 2nd - €80,000.00, 3rd - €40,000.00, 4th - €16,000.00, 5th - €12,000.00, 6th - €8,000.00, 13 Entered
For three yrs old entire colts and fillies
Weights - 9st; Fillies allowed 3lb ;

1 162-1 Famous Name D K Weld 111
b c Dansili (GB) - Fame At Last (USA)
(47)(D) (K Abdullah)

2 314-2 Great War Eagle David Wachman 106
br c Storm Cat (USA) - Cash Run (USA)
(19) (Michael Tabor)

3 1123-1 Henrythenavigator A P O'Brien 121
b c Kingmambo (USA) - Sequoyah (IRE)
(21)(D) (Mrs John Magnier)

4 41111-0 Ibn Khaldun Saeed Bin Suroor
ch c Dubai Destination (USA) - Gossamer (GB)
(21)(D2) (Godolphin)

5 11- Jupiter Pluvius A P O'Brien 109
b c Johannesburg (USA) - Saratoga Honey (USA)
(208) (Mrs John Magnier)

6 Luminaire J S Bolger
c Green Desert (USA) - Luminata (IRE)
(Mrs J S Bolger)

7 47184-6 Minneapolis A P O'Brien 103
b c Sadler's Wells (USA) - Teggiano (IRE)
(20) (Michael Tabor)

8 11111-2 New Approach J S Bolger 126
ch c Galileo (IRE) - Park Express
(21)(C3) (HRH Princess Haya Of Jordan)

9 Nownownow David Wachman
c Whywhywhy (USA) - Here And Now (FR)
(Fab Oak Stable)

10 3133- One Great Cat A P O'Brien 103
br c Storm Cat (USA) - Blissful (USA)
(252) (Michael Tabor)

11 1- Sammy The Snake B W Duke
b c Diktat (GB) - Love Emerald (USA)
(426)© (Joe Duke)

12 3213-53 Stubbs Art D R C Elsworth
ch c Hawk Wing (USA) - Rich Dancer (GB)
(21) (Matthew Green)

13 8518- Windsor Palace A P O'Brien 100
b c Danehill Dancer (IRE) - Simaat (USA)
(208)(D) (Derrick Smith)

Oh god yes..even from someone with Aiden O brien and John magnier posters all over his bedroom...thats very true

:D

Ladbrokes betting...

New Approach 6/4
Henrythenavigator 7/4
Famous Name 7/1
Jupiter Pluvius 10/1
Stubbs Art 14/1
Ibn Khaldun 16/1
Nownownow 20/1
Great War Eagle 33/1
One Great Cat 33/1
Sammy The Snake 33/1
Luminaire 50/1
Windsor Palace 50/1
Minneapolis 66/1

Originally posted by Galileo@May 20 2008, 02:52 PM
Ladbrokes betting...

New Approach 6/4
Henrythenavigator 7/4
Famous Name 7/1
Jupiter Pluvius 10/1
Stubbs Art 14/1
Ibn Khaldun 16/1
Nownownow 20/1
Great War Eagle 33/1
One Great Cat 33/1
Sammy The Snake 33/1
Luminaire 50/1
Windsor Palace 50/1
Minneapolis 66/1
Some each-way backing of Famous Name is quite interesting as is Stubbs Art being supplemented, but realistically it should be between the top two again.

Henry is better suited to the mile and New Approach will improve again at 12 furlongs. I hope New Approach can hold off Henry this time but may again be vulnerable to something with a finishing kick.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@May 20 2008, 03:39 PM
Stubbs Art is a cracking each way price.
Not sure about that... It seems that four of them are running for the spare place position besides the top two. Unless you're backing place only, you'll only get returned a little over 2/1 on an each-way outlay.

I happen to think that at 20/1 Stubbs Art is a daft price. It is the fact that he is trained by Elsie, and not Ballydoyle, that makes people dismiss him so readily IMO. There is nothing to suggest that he cannot improve on the few lengths he needs to make up on the "top two" and that is assuming that they both run to form. Elsie is no mug and he wouldn't have forked out the supplementary fee if he didn't think the horse was up to it. It was he who insisted that the horse run in the Guineas, remember - on reading that I had a couple of quid in him myself as the man is no fool.

I think he has a monumental task against the front two and with the likes of Famous Name, Jupiter Pluvius and perhaps a revived Ibn Khaldun going for the other place he must be as likely to finish out of the frame than in it.

I'd supplement SA if I owned him. It doesn't mean he'll be placed. This sort of horse has few options at this level.

Good luck if you decide to take the price. I'd advise a place bet at best. If you think he can beat either or both of the front two go for it. I'd be very doubtful.

Back