Battle Axe 09,00
Tasman 09,00
Toofarback 09,00
Hold The Pin 08,12
Tawnies 08,10
Shesadoll 08,07
Mustangsallyrally 08,06
73 horses Listed

Presumably AP's ride on Wichita Lineman at Cheltenham would have been infamous rather than famous if the race had been run under the new whip laws, so it makes sense to run the horse in Ireland.

Irish National weights hinge on Notre Pere run

By Tony O'Hehir6.48PM 9 APR 2009
THE alternative handicap rule, which provoked controversy when it was invoked for the Pierse Hurdle at Leopardstown in January, will come into play again for the Irish Grand National on Monday, should top weight Notre Pere miss the race.
Notre Pere has 11st 12lb in the 3m5f Powers Whiskey-sponsored event and, with Air Force One, next in the weights on 11st 8lb, a non-runner, Wichita Lineman, who has 11st, will be the second highest-weighted horse declared on Friday.

If Notre Pere, who needs going on the slow side of good, is withdrawn on Monday, the amount which the weights will rise will depend on the original weight allotted to the lowest-weighted horse after final declarations on Friday.

Notre Pere's trainer Jim Dreaper said on Thursday: "We're fairly close to Fairyhouse and we've had little or no rain today.
"I'm told it's the same story at the track. The wind is drying it out and a few people who have already walked the track say it is good, with just a few yielding spots.
"We're hoping for rain tonight but from midday on Friday it's supposed to be dry for the weekend. We intend declaring Notre Pere tomorrow, and a decision about running will probably be left until Monday morning, but it's not looking promising."
Dreaper added: "I realise this could present problems for connections of other horses because of the situation with weights, but trying to guess three days in advance what the ground is going to be is almost impossible."
Weights for the Pierse Hurdle were raised by 8lb a few hours before the race, following the withdrawl of top-weight Newmill.
That meant 50-1 winner Penny's Bill was in the handicap proper, instead of being 6lb 'wrong'. He won by a head from 11-2 favourite Psycho, who ended up with 11st 4lb, instead of 10st 10lb.
The rule was introduced in 1998 in an effort to get as many horses racing off their correct mark as possible.
In the aftermath of the Pierse, Willie Mullins and Dermot Weld were among trainers to describe the rule as "unfair".
A field of 30 is the maximum for Monday's race, and 9st 10lb the minimum weight.
Josh Byrne, registrar of the Irish National Hunt Steeplechase Committee, explained on Thursday: "Should Notre Pere be declared on Friday and be a non-runner on Monday, everything will depend on the original weight of the horse declared at the bottom of the handicap.
"If the bottom horse declared has 9st, weights will go up 10lb. If the bottom weight has 9st 1lb, weight willrise by 9lb, etc.
"However, the lowest weight Wichita Lineman can carry if Notre Pere doesn't run will be 11st 7lb."
Frank Berry, racing manager for Wichita Lineman's owner, JP McManus, said: "We're aware of the weights situation and Wichita Lineman remains an intended runner."

The rule was introduced in 1998 in an effort to get as many horses racing off their correct mark as possible.

Roughly translated:
...to make sure certain trainers couldn't manipulate the weights in their favour.

I think the rule is sensible and transparent. Credit to Frank Berry for not making an issue out of it.

Last edited:
Roughly translated:
...to make sure certain trainers couldn't manipulate the weights in their favour.

I think the rule is sensible and transparent. Credit to Frank Berry for not making an issue out of it.

In any case a rise in the weights ought to suit Wichita.

Thank God for Fairyhouse this weekend...otherwise there would be very little racing to get that excited about despite the status of some of the Kempton races.

Roughly translated:

I disagree -there should be absolute certainty about the weights carried on the day of the race.We all know the topweight is doubtful tomorrow but what if Wichita Lineman was to be withdrawn after that-would there be a further rise in the weights.Its all very unsatisfactory.

If we are going to go on about "ifs"....imagine Kauto Star or Denman were declared to run in it or the Grand National at Aintree only to be pulled out leaving a light weighted gambled on horse win the race from the same yard....what would that do for punters? Nicholls did it with Sporazene at Cheltenham so we know the big yards are not afraid to do it on the biggest stage.

Punters often have to hold bets due to the ground or weather, this is no different.

Last edited:
I have several selections in the race.

My two winning chances are; One Cool Cookie and Drumconvis.

My two big-priced outsiders with an each way chance are; Church Island and Selection Box.

If I was nailed down to back just two, it'd be One Cool Cookie and Selection Box.

Apart from the Sporazene case which was in 2004 how many times has it happened-has it happened since.

Talking of Sporazene - anyone got any news on him? He hasn't run since when I watched him at Kempton and that must have been Oct/Nov, when he finished in behind Snap Tie and Katchit. Has he been retired, is he injured or what?

I cannot think of other examples other than Sporazene but that is hardly the point. No point locking the stable door after the horse has bolted..

There is a doubt about Wichita Lineman according to the Racing Post-this could lead to an absolutely ridiculous situation with two weight rises on the day of the race-crazy stuff.

Back