Is This The Countries New "worse" Racing Club

Flame

At the Start
A nice advert in the post about Jenny & Mark Pitman's new launched Racing Club but is it me or is it just a con.

Check out the following terms and conditions:

A) The Jenny & Mark Pitman Racing Club (“the Club”) offers each member an opportunity to follow all of the horses owned or leased by the Club, share in the Club’s colours and enjoy certain benefits during the membership period mentioned herein.
B) This membership offers entertainment and is not an investment opportunity.
C) Membership is effective for a full 12 month period from the date of joining.
D) There is no commitment to remain a Member after the expiry of the membership period.
E) The Member will not be subject to any additional requests for payments towards the training fees over and above their annual membership fee.
F) Any monies accrued will be re-invested into the Club.
G) Hospitality events at race meetings and other venues plus our Annual dinner will be charged at commercial rates and advised in advance.
H) We will endeavour to obtain discounts at as many race meetings as possible and these will be listed on our website.
I) A telephone information line (not premium rate) will keep Members up-to-date on race days with predictions from Jenny, Mark and our Trainers, this information is for Members only.
J) All decisions relating to the horses, trainers, admin and running of the Club will be decided by the management of the Club.
K) Members must be aged 18 years or over.
L) All horses are owned by the Club and the Member does not have any legal or equitable title to any of these horses.
M) Members are permitted, under British Horseracing Authority rules, to back and lay horses on betting exchanges and with bookmakers.
N) The Jenny and Mark Pitman Racing Club is the trading name for Mark Pitman Racing Limited (Company No: 6472440).
O) For Health & Safety reasons, flash photography is not permitted at any of the racing yards during stable visits.
P) These terms and conditions have been submitted to the BHA (British Horseracing Authority) for Code of Best Practice compliance guidance and may be updated from time to time.
Q) All benefits to the Member are for the Member’s use only and may not be leased, sold, form part of a loan, or offered as security to any third parties.

----------

So the bottom line is you pay them £195, so they can run a horse which you own no part of, receive no prize money if it wins, have to pay more money to watch it run, then pay again to go on the organised hospitality days, have the option to join a ballot system to go to a sale (a free public place), and visits to the yard are selelcted by them and you get to go on a set date. Oh and that you must wait for them to send updates and you can't ring them.

finally a nice 08712 phone number to ring to find out if a horse is fancied, charging 10 - 12p a minute, 25 - 35p a minute from a mobile.

So if you pay all these hidden extras, what does you £195 go towards? I know, so Jenny and Mark can have horses in training for free.

This really looks a proper con to me, but best still is what a tacky website.

http://jennyandmarkpitmanracingclub.com/index.html

I give this a year max, surely people wont buy into a ridiculous club like this, also I got someone to make an enquirey about going to join the club and going to Ascot on Saturday and the quote to go to their hospitality was a good few hundred on top.

People will buy into it just because of the household name, incredibly frustrating. I struggled to shift shares in Brut with my syndicate when he was in blistering form with a decent website.

Also, Machinist is hardly a spring chicken. You'll get a win about 1 in every 10 runs and the other 9 runs will be to get down the handicap!

It's virtually a direct copy of Elite - same terms almost exactly but fewer and poorer horses, more expensive phone lines, no weekly newsletters, and no broodmare band for great extra interest.

I can't see why anyone would join this when they can get better value from Elite, with 20+ decent horses and 6/8 broodmares, a caouple of them of proven quality, also Soviet Song's progeny to come. Granted that is a bit more expensive to join - tho not much, and the price soon goes down

I don't personally see any benefits in Elite to be honest Heads, as again you pay for something that isn't yours.

I would have thought any racing club with one horse that can realistically hope for a win every 10 runs,should be beating them away with a stick...

Originally posted by chrisbeekracing@Jun 15 2008, 05:59 PM
I don't personally see any benefits in Elite to be honest Heads, as again you pay for something that isn't yours.
Having been a part owner and also in Elite for a good many years, I do see the advantages.
It's a lot less stressful and expensive than having your own, I can vouch for that!!

You get a lot of fun and interest in the horses both running and as mares/foals, quite a bit of social life, discounts to racecourse, tips from the trainers, the odd O&T badge, all for c£15 quid a month after you've been 'in' a while... You get a good 'loyalty discount ' for staying in the 2nd year, then it keeps going down a little each year. And you get winnings, which in the SS/NewSeeker/Penzance couple of years, were a sizable % of the membership fee even given the numbers involved. I ended up one year only paying c£98 quid for my annual membership.

It is very good value for 20 horses + in training, some with top trainers. And you typically get at least two stable visits per season per trainer, usually followed by a lunch at cost - currrently c£17 - at a decent venue [eg in Newmarket it's usually the Bedford Lodge, Wantage the Bear etc etc].

Owning one outright is obviously very different, but having a share in a horse, even a 1/8th as I've had twice, doesn't give you any more control over what goes on than being a racing club member tbh! Whereas you do get much bigger bills......

Originally posted by Headstrong@Jun 15 2008, 11:47 PM
It's a lot less stressful and expensive than having your own, I can vouch for that!!
It's also a hell of a lot less enjoyable than having your own, I can vouch for that!!!!

Seriously, do people really think that getting two stable visits a season is a bonus?? I prefer it whn you can drop in on your own horse whenever you like (that includes being in partnerships) and having more or less open house to see them.

Obviously it's not comparable, but then neither is paying c£200/£350 pa, to paying full training and vets' bills at over £20,000 in most cases! It's a different kind of involvement altogether.

With c8/10 trainers, and 2/3 yard visits to each, you get to go on quite a few stable visits if you don't mind the hordes who turn up. When the club had the stables at Clive Cox's you could go 2/3 times a week anyway - I miss that keenly, esp evening stables on a Monday, when there was never more than a handful there and you could really chat to Clive and the staff. The bottom fell out of Elite when Clive quit, imo.

If people want to pay a fairly minimal for a bit of extra personal involvement - and you DO get involved in some if not all of the horses - then what's to knock? - the fact so many stick with it year in year out is testimony to the value they get.

Better to back any horse you fancy and pretend to yourself you own it... but be careful - had to stop myself from pushing Tabor out of the way to collect Montjeu's King George prize.

buy a mare amongst a couple of mates and sell everything, another reasonable way to get involved (if you do your homework) and a chance of some payback.

Well, I didn't realise it was that easy or I'd have done that years ago, Sheikh!!!

Seriously now, it really doesn't work like that - if it did we'd all be breeding horses.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 16 2008, 03:02 PM
Well, I didn't realise it was that easy or I'd have done that years ago, Sheikh!!!

Seriously now, it really doesn't work like that - if it did we'd all be breeding horses.
...aren't we?!!

well I suppose it depends on who's doing it and what their judgment is like.People do breed a lot of crap I agree but if you have reasonable expectations ,stick to a budget and do your homework it's a dam sight better than any of those racing clubs. Your genuinely involved, every one you sell that runs feels like your own and there is a small chance of some payback.

Originally posted by SteveM+Jun 16 2008, 04:05 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (SteveM @ Jun 16 2008, 04:05 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Shadow Leader@Jun 16 2008, 03:02 PM

...aren't we?!! [/b][/quote]
So how's the breeding empire going, then, Miller? :P

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 16 2008, 03:01 PM
buy a mare amongst a couple of mates and sell everything, another reasonable way to get involved (if you do your homework) and a chance of some payback.
I was involved last year in a "pinhooking" syndicate (not exactly the same). I had a good friend in Kentucky who manages a stud buy a foal and then prep it for a yearling sale.

Only got to see the colt twice and then the sale (Keeneland Sept. Part II) but it was a very insightful and enjoyable experience (made money as well). Not the thrills and excitement of the races though, I suppose.

The Lucky Owners/EO filly may just turn out to be alright though

Lucky owners was/is one of the best bred stallions around,I don't think he got the mares to make a go of it but he did have some nice individuals. Who is the dam ?

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 16 2008, 04:06 PM
well I suppose it depends on who's doing it and what their judgment is like.People do breed a lot of crap I agree but if you have reasonable expectations ,stick to a budget and do your homework it's a dam sight better than any of those racing clubs. Your genuinely involved, every one you sell that runs feels like your own and there is a small chance of some payback.
After my day yesterday, this did make me smile..... apologies if it offends any 'rules' on here but for anyone interested, see FF and Stud Season thread....

No, I'm not joining a racing club and, at the moment, my DIAMOND GREEN is having a very big adventure at the vets, having his eye sorted out!! He's a very nice colt but quite plain, as Songy's usually are when foals. Very laid back, so I guess DG must be too, as he seems to have escaped the major tantrums we expect from her foals!

Back