Is This The Countries New "worse" Racing Club

No, he's just one I like, he was a little unlucky not to be a Grp 1 winner and he has a strong damside not to mention how well Sons of green desert are doing. He seems good value too. I haven't seen any of his foals yet though.

I've only seen this one DIAMOND GREEN -and a couple of MAJESTIC MISSILES - we've one of those here as well. It's sort of strange that GREEN DESERT has only just come into his own as a sire of sires - hope the trend continues!

What's the majestic missile like, is he going to be a producer of early speed balls ?
Their could be a niche over here for him in that price range as Fayruz is getting old and Tagula is getting on a a bit too.

Songsheet read your post and Krizons response on another site, according to you someone on here said and I quote

"I believe someone on TH posted yesterday that it was pretty easy to breed horses as long as you knew what you were doing.... Huh!!!"

to which Krizon responded

"Do they think it's just picking out a nice horsey from the Stallions Yearbook, a quick bonk, and that's it - next Derby winner nailed on?? Plonker."

Songsheet, Who was the "Plonker" who suggested it was "easy" ?

Apologies to the Mods if I have broken any rules here.

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 18 2008, 10:45 AM
Songsheet read your post and Krizons response on another site, according to you someone on here said and I quote

"I believe someone on TH posted yesterday that it was pretty easy to breed horses as long as you knew what you were doing.... Huh!!!"

to which Krizon responded

"Do they think it's just picking out a nice horsey from the Stallions Yearbook, a quick bonk, and that's it - next Derby winner nailed on?? Plonker."

Songsheet, Who was the "Plonker" who suggested it was "easy" ?

Apologies to the Mods if I have broken any rules here.
Sheikh,

it's a well known fact that Krizon is the country's foremost breeding expert; she'd have that Tony Morris for breakfast. :D

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 18 2008, 11:07 AM
Thanks Rory but I wasn't actually questioning their credentials. :)
It's fair to say that your post was rather taken out of context by the time Krizon opined on it. Your original point that trying to breed on a small scale and sell the offspring was better than being in a racing club is obviously more than valid, although not as good as the suggestion that we all simply pretend to own some of the better horses in training; personally, I plan to change my name to Sheamus Mohammed and move somewhere with gullible locals.

All depends on the individual and the level of involvement they want I suppose.
I think it's fair to say that all the options will provide moments of elation and a lot of heartache.

Originally posted by Bar the Bull@Jun 18 2008, 12:00 PM
I had a great run when I owned China Castle a few years back on the all-weather.
As a much younger man, I once owned all grey horses jumping fences ~ I had some thrills, I can tell you. Sadly I sold up just before Desert Orchid came along. Talk about your bad timing!

Originally posted by Songsheet@Jun 18 2008, 03:18 PM
Not biting ....
Au contraire Songsheet ~ you already have bitten, and Sheikh has merely asked you to explain if you were deliberately being offensive about him or whether there was a subtext to your comments that he failed to see. FWIW, I think there was indeed a hidden subtext, but you have been less than polite, to say the least.

OK, so some of you think £195 a year is expensive, fair enough but personally I wish Mark and Jenny Pitman all the best in their latest venture.

It was nice to see that with their current (and only horse) horse, Machinist, who ran at Royal Ascot and then at Glorious Goodwood last where he came a very respectable 4th. I think that those that have already joined may have already been enjoying their membership. Not for everyone admittedly as some of the extras have to be paid for but with a visit to Dandy's yard coming up in September I think some of the members may actually think this is good value for money.

The website has now been updated, and may not be the flashiest around but it now gives plenty of information and has plenty of photos including those taken at Royal Ascot.

Good luck to them.

I don't think anyone's saying that it's expensive - just pointing out that for what you get in return (virtually nothing) it is no value for money.

They hardly have a product to market - if you're lucky you might get a few days out at the races and a look around a yard or two. Nobody who joins owns anything, has any say in anything nor receives any percentage of the prize money. Not only that but you have to pay extra for the hospitality events!

So what are you actually getting for your £195? It's pretty much a way of getting someone else to pay for Jenny and Mark Pitman to have some horses in training, run in their name and colours and with the potential to earn them some prize money. Sounds like bit of a con to me too!

Each to their own. Some people would have loved to have an opportunity to go as an owner to either Royal Ascot and/or Glorious Goodwood with Jenny and Mark Pitman. Some people pay for very small parts of racehorses that never even see the racetrack, or if they do, the horses just plainly are not good enough. Other people have horses that cost a fortune that are then off injured for a year that they still have to pay for. I know someone who recently purchased a 2yo who has paid for about 8 months and the horse is clearly going to be a 3yo. Is that what some people think is value for money? I certainly don't.

People have to realise that horseracing means different things to different people and they want different things and have different expectations. Some people want to own a whole horse others just want to be part of a syndicate and can have lots of mileage at the dinner table saying they have been racing at Royal Ascot with Mark and Jenny Pitman and were at Royal Ascot the day The Queen had a winner. They may just want to meet other like-minded people and just learn about racing from people that clearly know what they are talking about.

I am sure that some of the syndicate members would have recouped a little of their £195 if they had put a bet on Machinist on Saturday and who cares if he is only leased. What does someone expect for £195 a year!:cool:

I think you'll find that all members of this "club" certainly won't have gone to Royal Ascot as owners, Kathy. I doubt that they could have got in more than around a dozen people into Ascot (if they got any of the members in on an owners badge) or Goodwood as owners - unless they had to pay for the additional badges that is and again, owners badges aren't on a limitless supply, especially at the big meetings.

I see you used the phrase that was used on the website (I remember commenting on how twee it was at the time on a forum!!) about being at Royal Ascot when the Queen had a winner. Them and the 70,000 other racegoers that were there on the day, that is!!

The whole concept is a big con, IMO. I'm wouldn't be the only person to say so, either (look at the rest of this thread, for starters!)

Last edited:
Kathy I get your point;

but Machinist earnt £4,670.00 for coming 4th on Saturday, however none of the people who have shares in the racing club get any prize money. Meaning a nice earner for the Pitmans. Also Dandy has only leased the horse (which he owns himself) to the Racing Club. The only outgoings for the Pitman's are training fee's and bingo 3 months were covered on Saturday.

Also these people who pay £195, they dont get to see the horse run for that, they have to pay to go and see the horse run, as they have hospitality for each meeting, in which all members have to pay, so whilst the initial payment is £195, they have to pay alot more on top.

Yes they do get a couple of stable visits a year, but any of my members who probably wouldn't end up paying much different than the Pitmans (600 a year for 2.5% lease share) get to go to our yard whenever they like, racing every time it runs, part of other stables visits arranged, mornings on gallops and Christmas parties thrown in. Also they get 2.5% of any prize money earned. Okay we aint talking Glorious Goodwood or Royal Ascot but at least they don't have to pay 100 - 150 for hospitality every time the horse runs.

I just don't see any value in this Pitman Racing Club.

Last edited:
I think it is kind of sad that she is doing this as it tends to sour her fine reputation earned from hard graft when a national hunt trainer.

It's not as if they are turning their full attenton on this one either, does Mark not live in Spain and have a business out there washing boats or something?

Personally I cannot see the club lasting very long. However Kathy is correct that different people have quite different reasons for wanting to be involved in racing and this will no doubt appeal to someone.

Back