ISIS...Islamic State Victims

http://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ng-no-insulation-wars-arab-muslim-woworldwide

ec. Apologists do not mean support (publicly anyway) it's making excuse and shifting the blame.

as in the above piece, from someone who crowed over 9/11. The Paris attacks were all our fault blah blah...

what the sinister prat couldn't pick up was that France was not in Iraq and as ive said over and over, isis kill regardless of involvement.

Last edited:
That link doesn't work for me?

Aside from that (and it is a retarded example) brand is a clear admirer
Apparently he admitted this in his book but most significantly he was up in arms and protesting against forces preventing isis from murderimg 40000 christians

oh Brand..oh well i don't count him Clive..he only does it for publicity..no one has told him yet that encouraging people to think you are a complete dimwit and that to show any type of excuses/support to cowards/mass murderers/beheaders isn't really that good or smart

Aside from the Isis thing though..you know if someone wiped my family out in a bomb raid..i'd devote my life to getting back at them..wouldn't you?

What we have done in the past is plain wrong..and we have many enemies because of it..but thats nowt to do with Isis sh1te..thats pretty clear with the Japanese issue

So yes..some of our enemies..we deserve...but no one deserves Isis...lets hope the whole world can unite against them..its clear now..that no one is safe.

I still think we should let anyone who wants to go and join them go..in fact encourage it...its the very best chance we have of ridding this country of sh1te like them..as they leave..their passports are taken of course and they are told they will never come back here..a really easy cleansing process for us. I don't care if its against any European law..we have a really good chance to take a positive out of a negative.

That won't happen..shame..but if there are any people who want them back then they personally should made to have them move into their homes and they are responsible for them. That should keep those voices quiet.

Last edited:
Clive, with the amount you reference it, you must have dozens of examples to hand - could we have some please?

Clive, you sometimes make a decent point but your problem is you always try to frame them around things you have a complex about (the left, the Guardian, and so on). They can stand on their own without these references.

The NUS are a laugh and a joke after the student protests - never was Newsnight such a walkover for Paxman - does anyone remember that militant female student?!

Aside from that (and it is a retarded example) brand is a clear admirer
Apparently he admitted this in his book but most significantly he was up in arms and protesting against forces preventing isis from murderimg 40000 christians

Can we please have an example of Brand being "a clear admirer" of ISIS, because the follow-up statement - caveated as it is by the word 'apparently' - suggests a degree of guesswork on your part.

Ordinarily, I'd let it pass.......but given it's offered as compensation for a link that doesn't work, I'm compelled to question the robustness of what you purport to present as evidence.

As Hamm accurately states, if we cannot trust (or even view) your sources, the natural tendency is to think that you're just making shi*t up, in the hope that it sticks.

Last edited:
Warbler knows as well as I do that many on the left will always stick the blame on Islamic attacks on the west. In fact in a round about way warbler tried to blame Iraq for the charllie attacks although unlike some columnists and some on that wing, he despises Islamists for what they are.

Oh it's still a contributing factor Clive. I can appreciate that the likes of yourself, who called the Iraq invasion so catastrophically the wrong way would like to think that this nice neat line has now been drawn, but ISIS is very much on the same geneology line. I'm angry about it because we're the architects through our own stupidity, but now we're in it, we've got to try and do something. The time where we could say sorry and get ourselves out of this mess is gone

Many of the Islamic State fighters are former Saddamists, something which caused the Iraqi army to run (I'll come back to that). This is the supreme irony though, had the Bush/ Blair axis not gone off in pursuit of settling a family vendetta whilst also trying to boost the pension stocks of Dick Cheney, many of these same fighter would now be actively involved in putting down what would be a much smaller rebellion in both Iraq and Syria. Instead they find themselves embracing ISIS

In other words it's too simplistic to point to Belgium, France, or Japan and say there's no connection

What's clearly happened is the initial invasion and the hundreds of thousands who died resulting from it (direct and indirect) has provided a springboard. As EC suggests, is someone who joins ISIS in response to losing his job, his standing in society, and for all we know friends and family really behaving that irrationally? Revenge is a powerful motive and there will be all sorts going on by way of influences in the composition of the ISIS.

Had Saddam been brought in from the cold, he would currently be putting down ISIS using the Republican guard. If they got a toehold in Syria he would probably invade in much the same way as he did Iran when they had the Islamic revolution. Saddam was probably the single most effective squasher of radical Islam in the entire region, and the west removed him :thumbsup: Smart thinking!!!

Instead they spend 10 years and an absolute fortune training and equipping an Iraqi army who ran as soon as ISIS came calling (and in doing so dropped a whole load of weapons which fell into ISIS hands). It's this which also gives the lie to the Hague/ Blair/ Hillary notion that had we equipped the so-called moderate opposition in Syria, that they would have prevailed. Or to put it more bluntly, like they have done in Libya you mean?

I don't think you can divorce the invasion, and prosecution of a war in Iraq with the growth of ISIS Clive.

I think you can argue that these are murderous fascists in a western context. I think you can also argue that they'd have come to the fore anyway as they've always existed. I think you can equally argue however that the invasion of Iraq has helped fuel grievance which if it hadn't happened would have ensured they were smaller in number, and faced a much more formidable governmental structure in Saddam

It's this link that's important.

Sure they'll murder anyone, but that doesn't necessarily prove that much other than the fact that extreme Islam is barbaric. We know that. Were it not for the invasion of Iraq, I personally doubt very much that ISIS would have got off the ground.

Grasshopper is talking a lot of sense here in terms of the inept tactics that the west are using and the poor strategic decisions we make based largely in an over-estimation of democracy. We need to blind eye Assad as by far the less of two evils, and recognise that huge swathes of the Syrian population support him (as Libyans did Gadaffi who right now I reckon they'd rather have back).

Last edited:
ISIS foot-soldiers are - in the main - Sunni ex-Iraqi Army..........which the Bush Administration chose to disband.......and which were less-than-well served by the Shia regime of Nouri Al-Maliki, because they kicked with the wrong foot.

IS is - at least in part - a creation of US policy following the invasion of Iraq. This is undeniable fact, imo.

Last edited:
Oh.... and in anticipation of Clive's protest that Tunisia is a best practise model that has embraced the values of the Arab Spring, you might like to look at which foreign country is supplying ISIS with their most foreign fighters!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29043331

I'm actually more worried by developments in North Africa than I am Iraq and Syria for now. Libya has all but fallen to radical Islam, and could quite easily become a second Islamic State by the end of this year. Tunisia is verging towards moderate Islamic politics (can't remember what the outcome of their elections were recently) but there's clearly support there, as there is in Algeria. Had the Egyptian army not intervened on democracy the Muslim Brotherhood would be ruling there still. The capacity clearly exists for an Islamic north African riparian border on Europe's doorstep if we aren't careful, and it isn't difficult to foresee. Libya is right at the centre of this as the most deteriorated country.

Thankyou Nicholas Sarkozy and David Cameron, you are a pair of strategic geniuses

Last edited:
Can we please have an example of Brand being "a clear admirer" of ISIS, because the follow-up statement - caveated as it is by the word 'apparently' - suggests a degree of guesswork on your part.

Ordinarily, I'd let it pass.......but given it's offered as compensation for a link that doesn't work, I'm compelled to question the robustness of what you purport to present as evidence.

As Hamm accurately states, if we cannot trust (or even view) your sources, the natural tendency is to think that you're just making shi*t up, in the hope that it sticks.

it doesn't exactly take a lot of research to find that he protested against the attacks on isis does it? Do you have to be fcking spoonfed?

is it really difficult to understand that someone who protested against attacks on a genocidal force which made it clear that it was going to wipe out 40000 Christians might just be a tad sympathetic?

ISIS foot-soldiers are - in the main - Sunni ex-Iraqi Army..........which the Bush Administration chose to disband.......and which were less-than-well served by the Shia regime of Nouri Al-Maliki, because they kicked with the wrong foot.

IS is - at least in part - a creation of US policy following the invasion of Iraq. This is undeniable fact, imo.

Precisely - Clive - can you not see this? can you not make a direct link between the two?

I do wonder how many times we need to explain this to you? Had we not been pursuing this perverse strategy in Iraq, these ISIS fighters would be defending the Saddam regime against radical islam and quite probably attacking it in Syria too. You simply can't divorce the two things because you want some kind of closure on your own poor previous judgement

Does it really need pointing out (as many gleefully pointed out to seamus milne after his warped article) that jihadists aattacked "the west" before Iraq or afganistan were invaded? And that was going to be the first of many attacks ?

This has been gone over before but there were thousands of recruits to aq in afganistan and elsewhere well before 9/11. From all over.

Cant believe this needs pointing out again.

Precisely - Clive - can you not see this? can you not make a direct link between the two?

I do wonder how many times we need to explain this to you? Had we not been pursuing this perverse strategy in Iraq, these ISIS fighters would be defending the Saddam regime against radical islam and quite probably attacking it in Syria too. You simply can't divorce the two things because you want some kind of closure on your own poor previous judgement

And they would be gassing Kurds and marsh Arabs

Last edited:
To be fair to Clivex, you are putting words in his mouth, to make a point which is open to question at best, and lacks relevance at worst, given the stats you offer are 6 months old.

Equally, your suggestion that Libya has "all but fallen to radical Islam" cannot be backed-up in any meaningful way. The country is split between two non-IS, non-radical (in the IS sense) factions. IS are of course trying to exploit this split, and are having a degree of success......but your initial description is inaccurate.

Your wider-point regarding North Africa is well made, and is something the West would be ill-advised to ignore.

Last edited:
it doesn't exactly take a lot of research to find that he protested against the attacks on isis does it? Do you have to be fcking spoonfed?

No - I just like unequivocal statements to be backed-up by facts.

When I'm debating, I don't think that this is too much to ask, because if the person I'm debating against chooses to evade the request, they end-up looking like a fu*cking idiot.......and I don't wish that on anyone on a public forum.

Last edited:

the disbandment was a disaster and there was a vacuum. But that's not the point I was making.

Does it really need pointing out (as many gleefully pointed out to seamus milne after his warped article) that jihadists aattacked "the west" before Iraq or afganistan were invaded? And that was going to be the first of many attacks ?

This has been gone over before but there were thousands of recruits to aq in afganistan and elsewhere well before 9/11. From all over.

Cant believe this needs pointing out again.

ISIS is a new creation - indeed they are a creation of the very vacuum, you reference above.

You cannot keep playing this card. It has a certain relevance in a wider context, but not when it comes to IS.

Last edited:
No - I just like unequivocal statements to be backed-up by facts.

When I'm debating, I don't think that this is too much to ask, because the person I'm debating against chooses to evade the request, they end-up looking like a fu*cking idiot.......and I don't wish that on anyone on a public forum

http://www.theguardian.com/books/2014/oct/27/revolution-review-russell-brand-beverly-hills-buddhist

last paragraph although frankly wasting time on this pea brain again is a waste

Oh.... and in anticipation of Clive's protest that Tunisia is a best practise model that has embraced the values of the Arab Spring, you might like to look at which foreign country is supplying ISIS with their most foreign fighters!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-middle-east-29043331

I'm actually more worried by developments in North Africa than I am Iraq and Syria for now. Libya has all but fallen to radical Islam, and could quite easily become a second Islamic State by the end of this year. Tunisia is verging towards moderate Islamic politics (can't remember what the outcome of their elections were recently) but there's clearly support there, as there is in Algeria. Had the Egyptian army not intervened on democracy the Muslim Brotherhood would be ruling there still. The capacity clearly exists for an Islamic north African riparian border on Europe's doorstep if we aren't careful, and it isn't difficult to foresee. Libya is right at the centre of this as the most deteriorated country.

Thankyou Nicholas Sarkozy and David Cameron, you are a pair of strategic geniuses

frankly I will not answer posts that are "in anticipation" of what I'm supposed to say next. It's also virtual trolling because then I am under some obligation to Respond. which i wont

You have tried this tactic before when pretty disgustingly accusing me of supporting apartheid because I didnt take the usual TH hard left line on some completely different issue.It's tiresome to say the least.

Last edited:
The last paragraph does not demonstrate support for ISIS by brand. All it does is provide a very limited quote from Brand, with even less provided in the way of context....and thereafter it's all interpretation on the part of Nick Cohen (who I usually have some time for).

I've no axe to grind. If you can find a quote from Brand where he supports IS, then I'll concede the point.

ISIS is a new creation - indeed they are a creation of the very vacuum, you reference above.

You cannot keep playing this card. It has a certain relevance in a wider context, but not when it comes to IS.

its not "a card"

it has been an endless line from certain quarters that jihadist attacks, aq or isis, are a response..

the murders this week yet again prove that they are an attack and not a response.

that is my point

frankly I will not answer posts that are "in anticipation" of what I'm supposed to say next. It's also virtual trolling because then I am under some obligation to Respond. which i wont

You have tried this tactic before when pretty disgustingly accusing me of supporting apartheid because I didnt take the usual TH hard left line on some completely different issue.It's tiresome to say the least.

I have already pulled Warbler up for putting words in your mouth.

Am I part of the "usual TRH hard left", the "unusual TH hard-left", or will you credit me with a mind and opinion of my own??

Back