ISIS...Islamic State Victims

Really folks, it's kinda undeniable that many on the Left -- in public life and on here -- have at times tried to offer a "reason" for Islamic extremist acts of terrorism and murder. Reasons that are claimed to be that the cause is based on western interference in Muslim lands -- when this patently just doesn't stand up to historical analysis. Long before Afghanistan, before Iraq and Libya, Islamic fundamentalism was in slaughter-mode ................. going back to the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria; to the Mahdists of the 19th century and even to the expansionist campaigns of Mohammed himself. All of these were marked by large massacres of civilian non-Muslims. What the western Left has often refused to recognise is the true nature and aim of Islamic fundamentalism -- the ultimate aim to establish a world-wide caliphate and the elimination of all "unbelievers".

What is even more pronounced is western Left and liberal overt support for Hamas -- a bunch of nazi-worshippers. This is surely a contradiction for the Left?
And I say this as a Left-leaner myself. Such support for Islamofascist tendencies can only be a hypocrisy of the Left.

That's pretty well all i was saying.

Its all a case of "if we didnt do this and didnt do that" . They will always find an excuse. Surely the Rushdie affair taught us all we need to know?

I slightly disagree with the comment about hamas though because the extreme left and extreme fascist right are pretty interchangable and fairly close in views.

Last edited:
Really folks, it's kinda undeniable that many on the Left -- in public life and on here -- have at times tried to offer a "reason" for Islamic extremist acts of terrorism and murder. Reasons that are claimed to be that the cause is based on western interference in Muslim lands -- when this patently just doesn't stand up to historical analysis. Long before Afghanistan, before Iraq and Libya, Islamic fundamentalism was in slaughter-mode ................. going back to the Armed Islamic Group of Algeria; to the Mahdists of the 19th century and even to the expansionist campaigns of Mohammed himself. All of these were marked by large massacres of civilian non-Muslims. What the western Left has often refused to recognise is the true nature and aim of Islamic fundamentalism -- the ultimate aim to establish a world-wide caliphate and the elimination of all "unbelievers".

What is even more pronounced is western Left and liberal overt support for Hamas -- a bunch of nazi-worshippers. This is surely a contradiction for the Left?
And I say this as a Left-leaner myself. Such support for Islamofascist tendencies can only be a hypocrisy of the Left.

What I take offence to, Ice, is the suggestion that anyone on here has EVER suggested that it's OK to fly planes into buildings, or indiscriminately kill in the manner of ISIS, on the basis of Western policy. In fact, it gets my back right up......though not so much that I plan to have another barney with you.

Here is how the discussion played-out on here. Naturally, it is heavily summarised.

There are those who warned at the time that the incursion into Iraq was a grave mistake, that the reasons for doing so were invalid, and that no good would come of it. These arguments were countered (on here and elsewhere) by those who said Saddam had it coming to him, and that it was entirely appropriate that the West should 'remove a dictator', because there was a moral perogative to do so.

Fair enough.

However, the myopia demonstrated by the 'remove Saddam at any cost' brigade, has come home to roost......in the shape of IS. You will therefore forgive me if I don't buy the line that 'Lefties' are ISIS apologists, when they are the creation of 'Righties' in the first place.

Those stating (at the time) that the Iraq invasion was a foolhardy endeavour have been proven right, rather than wrong. It is those who supported the Iraq invasion, and were wilfully ignorant of the potential fallout, are the ones who want to be hanging their heads in shame.......not the so-called Lefties who inhabit this site.

For the record, I have never been anything other than a vociferous opponent of Islamic Fundamentalism, in all its flavours. This is something that can be backed-up by anyone wishing to peruse the relevant archive on this site (and probably over at TRF too, for that matter). It is on this basis, that I refuse to be put away as some kind of apologist, by anyone.

This is a very personal response, and I speak only for myself.......however, I have felt compelled to do so, given I've been labelled as a site 'Leftie' on more than one occasion.

Shalom.

Last edited:
I'll send you a link to a search engine called google if it helps

All you need to do is provide working links to back-up what you say. You didn't first-time round, and I'm fu*cked if I'm putting in the legwork to see if your claims are right or not. :cool:

Why's does it have to be here? Ice was talking in general and again, the difference between actively cheering on the attacks (which few do publicly) and those seeking to claim that it's partly or largely "our fault" has been made clear. Your post misses the point entirely.

its probably worth remembering that even without 9/11, aq were in all probability killing and attacking far more than before the invasion of afganistan and Iraq than they are now .

i was for the toppling of saddam because he was an extreme threat to regional security and thus the world. thats before a the internal human rights issues. There was no reason why the place had to be continually policed for decades to come. The error was the awful lack of a plan after invasion.

The clue is in the words "in public life and on here" - I expect you probably missed that point entirely.

And you're still hopelessly wrong about Saddam......though no-one - least of all me - would ever expect you to admit it.

Last edited:

This is just traditional demonisation of an enemy, wearily similar to the 1970s theories in Britain which said the Irish would always fight each other and didn't require any reason to do so.

It won't get anyone anywhere.

No it isn't.

you said it's about "scale" . It was on a big scale with the training camps right across afganistan before 9/11.

You cannot possibly equate saddams killing of "opposition" with the attacks on the jihadists. He killed them because of who they were not because of what they intended to do FFs

thats a shocking opinion. Saddam gassed whole communities regardless. Drones against targeted aq operatives are nothing like the same thing.

If I were going to be honest Clive, i was hoping someone else might have picked this one up for me, as you've been told enoguh times previously.

In terms of scale there is a world of difference between a small group of about 300 holed up in the north of Iraq, and falling under the protection of John Major's no-fly-zones called Ansar-al-Islam, and the Islamic state, which numbers about 30,000 fighters. If you can't see which group is the bigger, and therefore operating on a larger scale, then frankly there really is no point. It's not just scale of numbers though, albeit that's pretty compelling in itself. It's scale of reach too, and where they're drawn from. I provided you a link a few pages back by country of origin (which it was curiously suggested was invalidated because it was 6 months old? - a remarkable conclusion, but one I couldn't be bothered to respond to) but it clearly points to fighters being drawn from all over the world, even if we'd accept that a majority of those fighting in Iraq are Saddamists. There's also an issue of capability which is also on amuch greater scale, helped in no small part by the dissolution of the Iraqi army that fled and abandoned their weapons. Saddam had radical under Islamists pretty well under control. Those he was permitted to get at by the west, (the Sadrists) had been killed - lets be honest about it, of course he killed them, that's what dictators do to people who would try and kill them in a power struggle. There's nothing pure and moral about a game of brutal survival.

This does of course lead onto the plight of Kurds and Halabjah which is often cited. The Peshmurga had basically assisted Iran in the war that Iraq had spent 8 years fighting with them. The KDP and PUK both supported and fought for Iran. The Iraqis egged on and financed by America, and supplied by France, Russia, and Germany, had made early gains, but slowly the Iranians reversed these to a point of stalemate. I don't think people realise how many people were killed in this conflict. A figure of 1 million is normally felt to fair.

Saddam, not unreasonably, had taken the Kurdish position as one of beligerent. Tell me? how else was he supposed to interpret it? They were fighting his troops, and engaged directly and indirectly in killing Iraqis. This is war Clive, bad things happen, real people get killed. With a truce agreed between to the two principal beligerents, Saddam then set about removing opposition, or Ali Hassan Al Majid did, albeit no one is going to argue that this didn't come without Saddam's complete blessing.

Saddam attacked Iran in the first place because he recognised the threat that radical islam posed to him. Dictators normally have an enhanced appreciation of threat! it's sometimes called paranoia, but he was probably right. This was a threat that needed a final solution in his eyes, and for the most part the west has been engaged ever since 9/11 in trying to achieve similar ends, albeit we haven't resorted to something as crude as gas attacks. I should point out incidentally that in September 1988 the Democrats passed two motions in both houses for sanctions to be issued against Iraq and Saddam only for President George H Bush to veto them and extend Saddam another round of credit. It was only when he invaded Kuwait, (with mixed messages from America, as he'd asked what their position would be ahead of doing so) that he became their bogeyman. He cemented this place when in 1996 the Secret Service broke up a plot to assasinate George H Bush visiting Kuwait accompnaied by his daughter in law, Laura (George W's wife). This is why I often think it's important to remember the extent to which a family feud was ultimately allowed to enter world politics resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands in the pursuit of personal revenge.

So to come back to your assertion that "He killed them because of who they were not because of what they intended to do FFS" you might hopefully start to realise that you're only half right. He killed them because of who they were? Yes. They were actively engaged in trying to overthrow and kill him. "Not because of what they intended to do". No. They were targetted because of what they had done already. In other words, by dint of deed. Saddam didn't have the advanced technology that we have today. He was broke and militarily degraded after an attritional war of 8 years with his neighbour. He was always going to struggle to send troops in to arrest and garrison these areas. He knew there was a clear and demonstrable threat to him (there always would be in such a badly cobbled together country) so resorted to a method that was brutal but effective. There is a similar argument/ justification (often debated of course) concerning America's use of nuclear wepaons on Japan. Saddam used the most potent weapon available to him against a demonstrable enemy with whom he hadn't made peace.

Just for context too, I don't accept that AQ training camps (most of which were aimed at dealing with the Northern Alliance) is anything on the same scale as IS and the spread of a global caliphate. To suggest they are is just plain wrong. These training camps were occasionally bombed by cruise missiles after the attack in Nairobi and Sudan (not that there was anyone in them) but you're over-stating their scale Clive.

Last edited:
The clue is in the words "in public life and on here" - I expect you probably missed that point entirely.

And you're still hopelessly wrong about Saddam......though no-one - least of all me - would ever expect you to admit it.

Really? No track record of annexing other countries then....? And iran? Think the Saudis might disagree too. Jesus

Last edited:
First line of your post and I stop there. No one "tells" me anything least of all a saddam apologist

Really? No track record of annexing other countries then....? And iran? Think the Saudis might disagree too. Jesus

The Kuwaiti's (themselves the product of Saudi annexation incidentally) were 'slant drilling' Iraqi oilfields Clive. Saddam asked them stop, they denied it and carried on. What would you do? Does it not have echoes of another flashpoint. Someone operating just over a border etc

Watching his oil disappearing from under his feet (literally) he asked the American ambassador (correct protocol) for a view on what Washington's response would be were he to cross the border and stop the Kuwaiti's himself. They gave him an ambiguous response that America would likely stay out of any conflict. The rest as they say, is history

It's when George H Bush, first compared him to Hitler (2 years earlier he'd vetoed the sanctions resolution passed in both American houses and extended him additional credit at the same time). It also saw Syria join the coalition against Saddam, their participation allegedly coming in return for the US no longer pursuing them for their facilitating role in PanAm 103 in support of Iran. It was widely regarded as a diplomatci triumph for Bush (41) to have gained the support of Syria. Unfortunately for Libya, Gadaffi spoke up in support of Saddam at this time, and he subsequently became the focus of PanAm 103 thereafter, effectivbely replacing Syria as the Iranian accomplice

Indeed, you only need to use your own atenna here. How (or why) does a country that sends troops to support your coalition in 1991 and wins widespread support and plaudits for doing so, end up on the axis of evil 10 years later accussed of sponsoring terrorism when they haven't done anything in between? Their inclusion was a legacy of Pan Am 103

Last edited:
If I were going to be honest Clive, i was hoping someone else might have picked this one up for me, as you've been told enoguh times previously.

In terms of scale there is a world of difference between a small group of about 300 holed up in the north of Iraq, and falling under the protection of John Major's no-fly-zones called Ansar-al-Islam, and the Islamic state, which numbers about 30,000 fighters. If you can't see which group is the bigger, and therefore operating on a larger scale, then frankly there really is no point. It's not just scale of numbers though, albeit that's pretty compelling in itself. It's scale of reach too, and where they're drawn from. I provided you a link a few pages back by country of origin (which it was curiously suggested was invalidated because it was 6 months old? - a remarkable conclusion, but one I couldn't be bothered to respond to) but it clearly points to fighters being drawn from all over the world, even if we'd accept that a majority of those fighting in Iraq are Saddamists. There's also an issue of capability which is also on amuch greater scale, helped in no small part by the dissolution of the Iraqi army that fled and abandoned their weapons. Saddam had radical under Islamists pretty well under control. Those he was permitted to get at by the west, (the Sadrists) had been killed - lets be honest about it, of course he killed them, that's what dictators do to people who would try and kill them in a power struggle. There's nothing pure and moral about a game of brutal survival.

This does of course lead onto the plight of Kurds and Halabjah which is often cited. The Peshmurga had basically assisted Iran in the war that Iraq had spent 8 years fighting with them. The KDP and PUK both supported and fought for Iran. The Iraqis egged on and financed by America, and supplied by France, Russia, and Germany, had made early gains, but slowly the Iranians reversed these to a point of stalemate. I don't think people realise how many people were killed in this conflict. A figure of 1 million is normally felt to fair.

Saddam, not unreasonably, had taken the Kurdish position as one of beligerent. Tell me? how else was he supposed to interpret it? They were fighting his troops, and engaged directly and indirectly in killing Iraqis. This is war Clive, bad things happen, real people get killed. With a truce agreed between to the two principal beligerents, Saddam then set about removing opposition, or Ali Hassan Al Majid did, albeit no one is going to argue that this didn't come without Saddam's complete blessing.

Saddam attacked Iran in the first place because he recognised the threat that radical islam posed to him. Dictators normally have an enhanced appreciation of threat! it's sometimes called paranoia, but he was probably right. This was a threat that needed a final solution in his eyes, and for the most part the west has been engaged ever since 9/11 in trying to achieve similar ends, albeit we haven't resorted to something as crude as gas attacks. I should point out incidentally that in September 1988 the Democrats passed two motions in both houses for sanctions to be issued against Iraq and Saddam only for President George H Bush to veto them and extend Saddam another round of credit. It was only when he invaded Kuwait, (with mixed messages from America, as he'd asked what their position would be ahead of doing so) that he became their bogeyman. He cemented this place when in 1996 the Secret Service broke up a plot to assasinate George H Bush visiting Kuwait accompnaied by his daughter in law, Laura (George W's wife). This is why I often think it's important to remember the extent to which a family feud was ultimately allowed to enter world politics resulting in the deaths of hundreds of thousands in the pursuit of personal revenge.

So to come back to your assertion that "He killed them because of who they were not because of what they intended to do FFS" you might hopefully start to realise that you're only half right. He killed them because of who they were? Yes. They were actively engaged in trying to overthrow and kill him. "Not because of what they intended to do". No. They were targetted because of what they had done already. In other words, by dint of deed. Saddam didn't have the advanced technology that we have today. He was broke and militarily degraded after an attritional war of 8 years with his neighbour. He was always going to struggle to send troops in to arrest and garrison these areas. He knew there was a clear and demonstrable threat to him (there always would be in such a badly cobbled together country) so resorted to a method that was brutal but effective. There is a similar argument/ justification (often debated of course) concerning America's use of nuclear wepaons on Japan. Saddam used the most potent weapon available to him against a demonstrable enemy with whom he hadn't made peace.

Just for context too, I don't accept that AQ training camps (most of which were aimed at dealing with the Northern Alliance) is anything on the same scale as IS and the spread of a global caliphate. To suggest they are is just plain wrong. These training camps were occasionally bombed by cruise missiles after the attack in Nairobi and Sudan (not that there was anyone in them) but you're over-stating their scale Clive.

Could someone please summarise this for me, I've had a long day..

First line of your post and I stop there. No one "tells" me anything least of all a saddam apologist

That's fine, others will read it, and they'll decide one way or the other.

For well over a decade now you've been preaching what we should do in this part of the world You've been wrong and wrong again. All that your strategic thinking has done is lead us into a spiral of more deaths, more conflict, and the creation of much more potent and dispersed enemy than we would otherwise have been facing.

Incidentally I did permit myself a smile at this piece of aftertiming "The error was the awful lack of a plan after invasion."

I don't recall you forewarning us of this and counseling that a plan was needed to reintegrate the Saddamists. Smash up and kill him I think was the extent of your foresight. Well that's what they tried doing, that's why you ended up creating AQ in Iraq, and from that span out all sorts of radical opposition groups that morphed into IS. Grasshopper comapred you with Sarah Palin, I think he's being harsh on her - or perhaps not actually

Could someone please summarise this for me, I've had a long day..

Clive is wrong and doesn't learn from his mistakes.

There were no neat or morally correct answers in the late 1980's. Everything was a sub-optimal solution, but the invasion of Iraq was as immoral as any given the pretence it was done under (WMD!!!), and only succeeded in enhancing the threat we now face. Anyone who supported it must surely realise they were sold a pig in a poke by now and were wrong. It was also wrong (more so imo) on a strategic level. Clive isn't the only one who doesn't learn though, we've repeated the same error in Libya and I expect that to become a second front within a few years now

Last edited:
I was for the toppling of saddam because he was an extreme threat to regional security and thus the world. thats before a the internal human rights issues.

Thank Feck we got Al Qada in Iraq, and more recently ISIS, instead then

Last edited:
it gets my back right up......though not so much that I plan to have another barney with you.

Nor do I have any wish to provoke you down this path; my ears are still red and ringing from the tongue-lashing I got during the course of the last one.

Please, I have not implied that anyone has applauded 9/11 or the murderous activities of Islamic extremists.
But there is a persistent subtext that the cause-and-effect of ISIS outrages is western interventionism in Muslim lands. I don't buy that for one minute; ISIS are a murderous band of thugs high on Islamic fundamentalism, simple as.

FWIW, I recognise that you have been consistent in your condemnation of islamic terrorism, and I admire you and salute you for it. Actually you were the last person I had in mind when making my previous post.

There is a big difference between saying that part of the reason ISIS exist is due to the West's involvement in various foreign lands and saying that it excuses ISIS behaviour. if you both are too simple to see this...

But there is a persistent subtext that the cause-and-effect of ISIS outrages is western interventionism in Muslim lands.

If there's been any of that on here, then it has honestly passed me by. It's dangerous, imo, to look for a subtext, because - by default - they are generally open to an interpretation which may or may not be accurate.

ISIS are a murderous band of thugs high on Islamic fundamentalism, simple as.

I agree 100%

FWIW, I recognise that you have been consistent in your condemnation of islamic terrorism, and I admire you and salute you for it. Actually you were the last person I had in mind when making my previous post.

That's edifying to know - genuinely.

FWIW, I also agree 100% with Hamm on this bit...

There is a big difference between saying that part of the reason ISIS exist is due to the West's involvement in various foreign lands, and saying that it excuses ISIS behaviour.

It's my estimation that this Fundamentalist 'awakening' would have happened regardless, without any Western intervention in foreign lands. It is a simple matter of Medieval Mindset versus the Modern Mindset. It seems so obvious now, but these two worlds were always destined to clash at some stage.

Last edited:
It's my estimation that this Fundamentalist 'awakening' would have happened regardless, without any Western intervention in foreign lands. It is a simple matter of Medieval Mindset versus the Modern Mindset. It seems so obvious now, but these two worlds were always destined to clash at some stage.

Yes, but their first point(s) of conflict would be with the country they were embeded in. The soviet leaning dictators had them under control. You might not approve of the way they had them under control, but then again, you might! Removing these dictators only opened up a vacuum that allowed them to flourish, and especially so, since the disenfranchised seemed to throw in with them too (the displaced Saddamists in Iraq, or criminal in Libya). As I've pointed out, a significant percentage of ISIS current fighting strength would be taking them on, on the battlefield, were Saddam still in power.

Where radical Islam got a toe hold of course was in failed states like Afghanistan, Yemen, and Somalia

This goes back to the issue of scale again. Icebreaker's right to say Islam has always spawned intolerant extremists. All societies do to a greater or lesser extent. The threat is really defined by capacity though, and very often that means scale. There are armed right wing nutters in training camps in North Dakota, but they're numerically small and manageable. ISIS and the wider radical islamic family is starting to become unmanageable now. Once they cross a critical mass, conflict and war becomes inevitable. Our first line of defence was those who had the most lose by their gaining traction, who were also those who had the best appreciation of how they operate, who they were, and had the levers to .... well kill them ... lets not beat about the bush. We systematically removed these people on some particularly poor pieces of strategic judgement that got wraped with all sorts of personal agendas ranging from Saddam tried to murder my wife (George W Bush), to it's my only hope of getting re-elected in May (Sarkozy) and of course, I'm too stupid to know any better and am an excitable war mongerer out of my depth in high office (Hague)

There is a big difference between saying that part of the reason ISIS exist is due to the West's involvement in various foreign lands and saying that it excuses ISIS behaviour. if you both are too simple to see this...

That's a typically ignorant and arrogant comment. Isis could quite easily have come about with teh collapse of any of those states without the west being involved. Saddam was going to go eventually and it may well have been before now.

the ignorance is consistently blaming the Wests actions for every Islamic groups existence.

Clive, can you please decide whether Saddam was an evil dictator who would have snuffed-out the fundamentalist threat as soon as it reared its head.....of if he was a bewildered clown who would have had this threat develop unchecked in his borders.......because you can't have it both fu*cking ways, you infuriating retard.

Also, if you'd been paying attention, you would have spotted that no-one is blaming the rise of miltant Islam on Western actions.....but there's little doubt - using Iraq as an example - that some of those Western policies have acted as facilitators, due to the power vacuums they have created. So please stop peddling this inferred support for ISIS - it is horse-sh*it verging on slander.

I mean that in the nicest possible way, so no need to get chippy in your reply. :cool:

Last edited:
Islam produces infinitely more extremists than other societies warbler. Im sure you accept that . Frankly you would struggle to find other societies producing "convert or die" scum wouldn't you?

trying to equate it with a handful of nutters in North Dakota is a bit whataboutism. It's not the point, not a threat and not relevant

Clive, can you please decide whether Saddam was an evil dictator who would have snuffed-out the fundamentalist threat as soon as it reared it's head.....of if he was a bewildered clown who would have had this threat develop unchecked in his borders.......because you can't have it both fu*cking ways, you infuriating retard.

I mean that in the nicest possible way, so no need to get chippy in your reply. :cool:

he would have snuffed it out but at what cost? He snuffed out anyone who raised the slightest dissent. Killing quarter of a million Kurds for instance. There is nothing to admire about it

You could snuff it out by nuking a few countries in the Middle East. Is any solution acceptable?

Last edited:
Back