Jockey's You Feel Confident Backing

• Thread starter Thread starter useful
  • Start date Start date
Would have to agree with Richard Hughes as a jockey that I would generally avoid on the flat. Philip Robinson and Kerrin McEvoy, though not the most original choices, are jockeys I tend to follow as well.

Can't agree at all with Carberry as a jockey to avoid. Absolute genius IMO.

As has been previously stated though, it is of course all relative to the circumstances.. anyone backing jockeys rather than horses will find themselves in the poor house sooner or later (more likely sooner)..

Originally posted by useful@Feb 1 2008, 06:08 PM
Paul Carberry (a bit like Russell) tried his luck over here as Ogden's retained pilot but was exposed as not up to the job.
Eh????!!!!!! Eh?????!!!!!!! Eh?????!!!!!!!!

C'mon useful - you have got to be ripping the proverbial with that comment in particular?

Paul Carberry is one of the most, if not THE most, gifted horsemen I have ever seen sling a leg over a horse's back. He is also a superb jockey [yes, there is a big difference, not that many can comprehend that - and there are very, very few who excel at both]. He may be a little bit of a nutter, but they do say that there is indeed a very fine line between genius and insanity.

I would fall over myself in the rush to say yes if he were to indicate he wanted to ride my horse - I could not think of anyone better suited to not only educate a young horse but to kid it into thinking it's not in a race in settling it the way many others cannot and also in giving it a ride.

I cannot get my head around why you have Paul Moloney (another very, very good yet seriously under-rated jockey) Tony Dobbin and Davy Russell in your "not to back" list either.

....and where the hell is farmer Tizzard??? He should be top of the "not to back" list, closely followed by Andrew Thornton!

I'm also bemused that Choc Thornton doesn't figure in your "to back" list, and that Sam Thomas does - that'll be Sam Thomas the horse wrestler, who suffered a rare break in his usual form and managed to win a few races for Nicholls when Ruby was out of action without wrestling them to the ground when jumping?!

Nevermind who you'd back and who you wouldn't - which, as trackside points out is ambiguous as you surely have to alter your ideas according to the individual circumstance of each runner - I have thought long and hard about who to put up on my boy when he eventually goes hurdling. Bearing in mind I want a jock who will 1) hopefully be available to ride him most of the time rather than be claimed for a main retainer 2) be honest with me about the animal and know that I can trust what comes out of their mouth 3) would hopefully be prepared to come and sit on him before they ride him 4) is a horseman who will help him, educate him and not batter him senseless unnecessarily if they feel his chance has gone, nor sit up on him and pull him up in said situation 5) that I can trust to give him a decent ride [ok, so that kind of coers point 4 as well!] and 6) that I can trust to follow riding instructions as well as they can without disregarding them completely, I have settled on one of two of either Mark Bradburne or Jimmy McCarthy. I'm still deciding on which one; I've got a few months yet and I might have a chat with them both and see if they'd come down and sit on him for me. I know plenty will be critical of the pair but to be quite honest, in my eyes they both fill my criteria very well and I would be more than happy to put either of them up.

K Gundowry is a future star, a very confident youngun.

I'd put Dane O'Neil and R Hughes out to pasture. :(

Originally posted by betsmate@Feb 2 2008, 12:09 AM
I want to see your 'Wouldn't Back' list Suny! I have a sneaking suspicion who might be top. :D
you are right

jockeys to avoid

flat
Super crying Soumillon
T. Gillet
T. Thulliez
Y.Take
M.Hills
Spencer (most of times)

NH

B. Gerathy
P. Brennan
A. Thornton
D. Elsworth

I have to say, Geraghty - for all that he may not be a nice character - gets a hard time

Sure, he's not top drawer. But I do think that he is overly criticised. Yes, he has a track record littered with presenting horses at the wrong time at crucial stages in races. Fair enough. Yet I believe he is a pilot very adept in getting a horse from A to B - in terms of getting him there in the first place. For example his ride on Slim Pickings at Aintree last year was excellent in my view. May have looked like a steering job but it required much more than that.

nots ;

NHunt

Carberry P
Johnson R
Thomas S
McGrath R
Williams C
Jacob D
Durack S
Lucey-Butler R
Doyle T
Geraghty B

Flat

Murtagh J
Quinn T
Hills P
Hughes R
Spencer J
Sweeney F
Kirby A
Gibson D
Hitchcott S

probably think of more later :laughing:

Snap to Bar!! and Snap to Chris too! - tho I prefer Ann of the two :P
another negative is Carson Junior

Jockeys which are a plus on horses I fancy, in no order [ecl Fallon, hors de combat]:

Flat:
On turf: Moore, Robinson, Egan, Kinane, Manning, Dettori
A/W currently: Catlin, Callan, Baker, Milkzarec, Doyle

Jumps:
Walsh, Fitzgerald, AP, Choc; several others not far behind
Sam Thomas is really good at riding Sandown as he showed today - and ffs he has *improved* this season in leaps and bounds, as he was entitled to!

SL totally agree about Mark Bradburne, excellent choice. And I remember Arbo used to use Jimmy McCarthy for schooling his few hurdlers at Saxon Gate, inc the horse I had a share in - shame he never went over jumps due to collapse of the syndicate!

Great ride from Davy Russell today in the Maiden Hurdle at Fairyhouse! Did he think he was in a 3 miler??

Goober, have you fallen on your head? Carberry and Daryl Jacob are very good horsemen, you at least should recognise that if no-one else can! Cop on, wouldya?! :D

HS - I'm very much of the opinion that both Mark and Jimmy are very much under-rated by many and criticised by those who know little. Both are excellent horsemen; they can both give either strong, patient or sympathetic rides (traits that do not tend to all be possessed by many jockeys - the majority tend to ride one way or the other); you can rest assured they will consider the horse and they will be honest with you afterwards. Both are also very hardworking at home with the important stuff that a lot of jockeys consider to be beneath them (ie riding work or schooling on a regular basis).

Goober, have you fallen on your head? Carberry and Daryl Jacob are very good horsemen, you at least should recognise that if no-one else can! Cop on, wouldya?!

Not interested.

The thread is about jockeys you feel confident backing and jockeys you dont feel confident backing, not which jockeys are good horsemen, gifted, brilliant, and so on.

Therefore, unless someone has great insight into how each forum member FEELS, and under what circumstances each member finds their confidence at a high or low, there can be no argument about anyones lists ! They are not lists of who is best and who is worst.

Originally posted by betsmate+Feb 3 2008, 10:10 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (betsmate @ Feb 3 2008, 10:10 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'><!--QuoteBegin-Dante@Feb 2 2008, 10:41 AM
Negatives
McEvoy
That's an interesting one Dante. Any particular reason?[/b][/quote]
Think he's weak in a finish and if he meets trouble in a race at a vital stage he rarely recovers in time to win the race when others would and do. He cannot galvanise a horse when it's required.

Jumpers
Pluses
McCoy
Carberry
Walsh

Minuses
Russell
Any jockey who rides long.

I'll have to watch for that. He seems to have a lofty reputation, but I can't say that I have any strong feelings either way.

There are better jockeys in a finish than McEvoy, but he is brilliant on 2yr olds and on horses which need settling and finessing. He's a veyr sympathetic jockey and has a pair of the most sensitive hands in the business. He's very good at what he does for Godolphin which is bring along the new recruits, educate them and teach them to race.

Back