Jumps Season Previews, Stable Visits, Horses To Follow 2016/2017

Racing Post Stable Tours start today:

Today - David Pipe
Tues – Alan King
Wed - Gordon Elliott
Thurs - Harry Fry
Friday - Neil Mulholland

Let me know if you want any snippets as will buy the rag all week

Can you tell me if David Pipe includes a horse called Espoir De Teillee, was a £200k purchase by Roger Brookhouse but don't know where he's gone.

And now Willie: http://jumps.attheraces.com/stable-tours/willie-mullins

A couple of interesting ones…

Douvan - “He’s obviously very exciting. I think we’ll start him off at two miles and work our way through the season, with trying longer trips being a possibility.”

Black Hercules - “We started him off campaigning him as a stayer over fences, but his style of racing led to us bringing him back in trip and he was very good at Cheltenham. We see him as a middle-distance chaser, but he could possibly try even shorter trips.”

Vautour - “He’s in good shape and his first half of the season will probably be similar to what he did last season, with the King George being in the picture. I’m going to see how he races in his first few starts before making longer-term plans. He’s in every picture with regard to potential targets.”

Yorkhill - “He has won a point-to-point and jumps fences well, but we haven’t made a final decision whether he stays hurdling or goes chasing yet. I think he could make a fantastic hurdle horse. He isn’t too far away from a run.”
[FONT=&quot]
[/FONT]

I sort of knew as soon as I saw the words "And now Willie" that the update would do nothing other than yank my own.

FWIW, I reckon Vautour will go straight to Cheltenham after Kempton. Two season's on the bounce now they have had issues getting him ready, after preps in Jan/Feb, and I reckon they will keep him a fresh horse for the Festival.

Just for Fun - who will ride which Mullins horse in the Gold Cup

Djackadam
Vautour*
Killugtah Vic
Black Hercules

*who knows where he'll end up

Last edited:
Great to see Min goes novice-chasing. Proper athlete this one, and a great run in hindsight behind the more experienced Altior, in the Supreme.

Timeform reckon "every inch a chaser", PJ.

I think that pre-Festival pick of him looking all shiny like a Flat 2yo, has given the wrong impression.

Also love his assertiveness, and the way he wants to get on with it. Good traits to have in a 2m novice chaser, imo.

PS. If the cu*nts end-up running him in the JLT, you will find me somewhere between the edge of the Dean Bridge, and the Water of Leith, at the end of a sturdy rope.

Last edited:
FWIW, I reckon Vautour will go straight to Cheltenham after Kempton. Two season's on the bounce now they have had issues getting him ready, after preps in Jan/Feb, and I reckon they will keep him a fresh horse for the Festival.

didn't have a jan/feb prep last season. went from KG straight to Cheltenham

reading that it does seem there's a fair chance faugheen gets stepped up to pave the way for annie to have her shot at back-to-back champ hurdles, should she stay healthy

Last edited:
Of course you're right, James - my bad.

For whatever reason, the horse gives out the wrong signals at that time of year. I wonder if they should (ie I hope that they) just ignore how he works ahead of Cheltenham, because the evidence would suggest it makes not a blind bit of difference to the way he performs, once he gets there.

Last edited:
Back