Juvenile Hurdlers 2015/2016

tocororo has just confirmed the fast time figure recorded by Ivanovich Gorbatov at Leopardstown on 27 December. IG is top of my figures up to press for the TH. The 2nd 3rd in that race need keeping right side of too...Let's Dance+ Lagostovegas..in fact i'd be watching the runners from that race up to the 7th just for more conformation.

Lagostovegas..runs in the 12.45..6/4

Nice one Ec1. Had a few quid on. Ivanovic gorbatov looks head and shoulders above everything else as far as 4yos in Ireland are concerned

yes indeed..Ivan buried the field last time....very strong speed figure race.....3 have now run from that race and all won..how impressive was Lago?.

will need to be seeing something very special to beat Ivan at Cheltenham..always looking though..you never know what will turn up in the next few weeks

Spring Hurdle in Feb will be some race..looking back to when Our Conor won that race..his speed figure in that race was only 2 lengths better than what Ivan threw up. That figure for OC made him near on unbeatable in a Triumph hurdle..so Ivan is probably one of the best juveniles of recent years based on that last run

Last edited:
This was from the RP in the first few days of the new year. With all the racing to be digested I said i'd post it here in case anyone missed it. Apologies if it's up somewhere already;

O'Brien excited by Triumph hope Ivanovic Gorbatov

JOSEPH O'BRIEN is relishing a new career following in his father's footsteps as a trainer and hopes JCB Triumph Hurdle favourite Ivanovich Gorbatov can give him a dream start to his new venture.

The two-time Irish champion Flat jockey, who admitted on Thursday his appearances in the saddle would be very rare in 2016, will concentrate on training this year and is hoping to acquire his own licence in the coming months.

Ivanovich Gorbatov could provide him with a fairytale first chapter if he were to win at the Cheltenham Festival in March, a prospect the 22-year-old is very excited about.

Punters certainly think that fairytale could happen as Ivanovich Gorbatov was a big mover on Thursday, shortened into 5-1 favourite with most firms following his impressing jumping debut at Leopardstown over Christmas.

'More to come'

"Ivanovich Gorbatov was a natural from day one," said O'Brien. "He jumped brilliantly from the word go and that's a huge asset. We thought he would run well at Leopardstown but, to be honest, he didn't have an ideal preparation for the race so we think there's a fair bit more improvement to come from him.

"When you have a horse of his ability on the Flat who jumps so well it's hard not to get excited.

"He has a very strong constitution and takes absolutely everything in his stride. He doesn't bat an eyelid at anything."

Aidan O'Brien deflected all the praise on to his son after Ivanovich Gorbatov won at Leopardstown and, while Joseph might not have his own licence in time for Cheltenham, he is the one doing all the work with the jumpers behind the scenes.

Team of about 70

He is running a yard at Owning Hill in Pilltown where an exciting team of about 70 - a mixture of jumpers, Flat horses and yearlings - are situated and it is a role he is relishing.

He said: "I love what I'm doing at the moment. It's really enjoyable. I suppose I've been doing this for about a year now so am starting to get used to it. We have a lovely team of about 60 or 70 horses.

"I missed the last chance to get my trainers' licence last year because I was at the Breeders' Cup but I hope to have it in the next few months. Whether I get it in time for Cheltenham I'm not sure.

'Ones to look forward to'

"Ivanovich Gorbatov was good at Leopardstown but we have a few others I like as well. Outspoken might have won at Fairyhouse had he not made a mistake at the last but he picked up a little injury so we might keep his novice status for next season.

"Best Kept Secret ran well at Punchestown and Edwulf looked like he was going to win a nice beginners' chase at Navan only for falling at the last. All of those are ones to look forward to."

O'Brien is very much concentrating on his new venture, and said: "You won't see me riding too much this year. It will be very rare."

I'm working less than 10 miles from Ballydoyle & there were a few whispers about this lad before Christmas from some of the lads there who'd knew what this fella was doing in Pilltown.

Got a few bob on him at 6/1 for March but wishing i'd got a bit more on. The fact he reckons there's a good bit more improvement to come from the horse is very encouraging too. That Christmas form is working out super.

If he wins again in February he'll go off a seriously short fav for the triumph. If Joseph doesn't get his trainers licence in time it'll have the feeling of those wonder days with Istabraq all over again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

interesting race in the 1.10..

the toccoro form gets a run out..its interesting that cradle mountain is expected to reverse form with swamp fox..Geraghty is on now..but what isn't mentioned in RP form write up is that Swamp Fox is 5lb better off in this race today . CM made many errors in that race and is probably the better horse now with Barry..but that 5 lb could be crucial...never again.. put a good run on the figures last time as well so isn't out of it.

Good call Ec. 5lbs definitely made the difference there. All the Irish juvenile races are running to the form of previous races making it a profitable little exercise for you.

Obviously a weak race but Fixe Le Kap had a 7lb penalty and looked very smart there. The presence of Ivanovich Gorbatov means that he's still available at 16s for the Triumph and that's a nice e/w play.

that looked competitive:)..bit like the novice at leopardstown last week..OR was there in 3rd to 3 out but made a few novicy jumps..now that does look heavy ground

Last edited:
The two favourites went for it much to far out. I reckon they're both still decent and if they turn up in March might be under bet. It'll be interesting to see if Nicholls sends Clan des Obeaux to the Triumph as he may be ew value against the O'Brien horse.

Footpad is equal on my calcs to Ivan after todays win..i didn't think we would see two this good in one season...IG has run below par clearly..but it looks like he might have struggled anyway. This is an exceptional year for Juveniles for sure..well it is in Ireland.

Its fair to say..that if there was an excuse for today re the going?..that IG earned his figure FTO whereas Footpad's wasn't.

Either way..these two are undoubtedly very smart youngsters. Will Ivan improve for better ground?..will Footpad not like it as much or improve for it again..who knows..complete guessing game.

I'd be stunned if either of those won the Triumph EC, Senor King seems to be holding all the aces, the Irish have a v poor record in the race too

I don't know.. The difference in putting ratings on the irish ones compared to ours is that they run in competitive races and tend to show more on figures than this side of the water. Got one decently run race for Sceau Royal but its not as good as those two.

Then throw in the different ground..thats if we get it..and whole race is hard to weigh up. Ours haven't really thrilled me yet though on figures..don't mean they aren't capable but..nowt there that blows me away yet

Gibralfaro schooled over hurdles in cheek pieces this morning and definite runner in Triumph, WH on board.

Clan Des Obeaux has been a fancy of mine for the Triumph since his last run, so I'm a little disappointed to see STD has chosen Connetable instead. Does anyone know if there's any loyalty to owners going on here or not?

on days like this..i'm a very happy man

Spring Hurdle in Feb will be some race..looking back to when Our Conor won that race..his speed figure in that race was only 2 lengths better than what Ivan threw up. That figure for OC made him near on unbeatable in a Triumph hurdle..so Ivan is probably one of the best juveniles of recent years based on that last run

Last edited:
Back