Juvenile Hurdlers 2021/22

My thinking is I’m likely to be properly p1ssed off having not backed him when he wins but my approach will be to take him on with something else at the price he is.

If Slim’s contacts judgement proves correct on the day - and the fact he’s headed the market (by some way) for a while implies they probably are - then it’s hard to see him beaten but I just can’t bring myself to betting on a relatively short priced fav in a race such as this. Primarily because if I back a loser through bad analysis, I can live with it. If I’ve backed one through nothing but somebody else’s opinions then I’d question why. I’ve looked at the form and googled race videos as much as I can but I’ve no context.

And it’s a bit like calling the all in when you know you’re beat but the pot odds mean you’ve no choice and I’ll be one of the first to congratulate those that profit on here if he wins.

I hadn't been following the race or the betting but they way it was being spoken of I'd presumed it was something like 5/2 so when I saw 5/1 I took that!

I hadn't been following the race or the betting but they way it was being spoken of I'd presumed it was something like 5/2 so when I saw 5/1 I took that!

Good business and allows you the scope to build around it on the day if you need to.

My thinking is I’m likely to be properly p1ssed off having not backed him when he wins but my approach will be to take him on with something else at the price he is.

If Slim’s contacts judgement proves correct on the day - and the fact he’s headed the market (by some way) for a while implies they probably are - then it’s hard to see him beaten but I just can’t bring myself to betting on a relatively short priced fav in a race such as this. Primarily because if I back a loser through bad analysis, I can live with it. If I’ve backed one through nothing but somebody else’s opinions then I’d question why. I’ve looked at the form and googled race videos as much as I can but I’ve no context.

And it’s a bit like calling the all in when you know you’re beat but the pot odds mean you’ve no choice and I’ll be one of the first to congratulate those that profit on here if he wins.

Nothing stopping you looking at the videos and 129 versus his French rating.

Looking forward to the Adonis tomorrow to see how Rubaud gets on. Nicholls also has Pleasant Man in the race with Cobden up which probably goes some way to explaining the big drift in Rubaud's price out from 8s to 12s. (Another reason might be that it's a donkey.)

Still, fortune favours the stupid. I've taken 11/1 to four places and keeping my legs crossed.

I also notice Iceo is in the Dovecote and could have the winning of that. I'm as sure as I can be that Iceo held a Triumph entry but may have been scratched after the Pied Piper race.

Gaelic Warrior is 4/1 NRNB with Bet365, 4/1 antepost with Boyles and 7/2 NRNB PP/Betfair/Betfred. Everyone else is 3/1.

Now we just need the handicapper to be straight and give him the 129 he was letting him run off a month ago.

Last edited:
Gaelic Warrior is on 129. The words you are all looking for is Thank You Slim.

Gaelic Warrior is on 129. The words you are all looking for is Thank You Slim.

When this goes in, I shall respond with my standard “Thank you, you horrible cu*nt”, and you will gratefully accept the accolade.

I've joined the party late and took the 3s NRNB with B365, but it just looks an absolute gift off 129. Could go off a silly price.

“Another lightly-raced hurdler is Gaelic Warrior ahead of the Boodles Juvenile Handicap Hurdle, so unexposed he had his three qualifying runs in France and has yet to be seen on UK or Irish shores.
Favourite for the Fred Winter since January, confidence is high about the Rich Ricci-owned market leader.”
“He’s a horse we like a lot,” Patrick said. “His work at home is very good, he’s a strong horse and one who’ll jump a fence no problem.
“A mark of 129, look, when we’re buying these horses we hope they’re 140-plus so we definitely expect him to be better than that mark.
“Off that mark we’re very excited to be running him.”

Last edited:
I've laid PP at 11/4.

It's not often I get involved in lays (unless I'm already on at longer) so this was a calculated risk on my part. I can't say I was in squeaky bum mode at any point in the race but he did travel well for a long way.

Job done and the EW return on the JP horse in fourth.

Really good performance by Vauban there. Hope he progresses as he looks he should.

Yes, looks good. I wonder if PT is transmitting a bit of nervousness to his horses at the last after GDC, that’s both Allaho and Vauban have been clumsy.

Back