Kauto Star

Would kauto star have won?

• Yes

Votes: 21 46.7%
  • No

Votes: 24 53.3%

• Total voters
To take on and beat the best around over any terrain, not with provisos of track, distance etc. His Gold Cup was the slowest-run for ages and also lacked a bit of class.

Sorry for the heresy guys, but he has just never got my pulse racing to either watch or rate.

Which horses live up to that?

To take on and beat the best around over any terrain, not with provisos of track, distance etc.

I actually find this astounding tbh. The horse has won two Tingle Creek's, two King George's and a Gold Cup. He goes on just about any ground. I just don't understand how you can say that.

Is Moscow Flyer not a "great" because he didn't win a Gold Cup by that definition?

Last edited:
By Redhead's definition Moscow Flyer isn't a great as he coudln't do it at all distances and we haven't in fact had a great since Dessie and prior to that Flyingbolt (Arkle didn't win at all distances against the best so he's not a great either).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not (or hasn't been) a great horse. I still have slight doubts though over stamina on occasions when he is put to the sword. Not that that takes anything away from him - it's incredible really to think he can win Tingle Creeks, King Georges and a Gold Cup, nevermind in the same season!

Of course it is always possible that he is on the downgrade, after all he has been fairly busy. That said I wouldn't want to write him off yet, I'm sure he's quite capable of bouncing back and routing the field at Kempton.

By Redhead's definition Moscow Flyer isn't a great as he coudln't do it at all distances and we haven't in fact had a great since Dessie and prior to that Flyingbolt (Arkle didn't win at all distances against the best so he's not a great either).

Please do not put words into my mouth or attribute thoughts to me that I have not had, much less expressed. I have said no such thing and have no intention of getting into a slanging match. The horse under discussion here is Kauto Star, no other.

That was just a rough outline of what I would look for as due to pressures of the NHS I didn’t have much time to reply in full to Gareth’s polite enquiry as to my views (don’t get a lunch break).

I don't dispute that Kauto Star showed some amazing versatility re distance and ground but what did he beat? If I recall, many of his wins occurred at a time that many people were bewailing the lack of strength in the chasing division.

If the quality of opposition was not that good, how does that make him a great horse, when it seems more likely that he was the only genuine Grade 1 horse around, beating Grade 2 and 3 horses because of the lack of class in that particular batch of chasers?

His 2 Tingle Creek wins were over Ashley Brook and Voy Por Ustedes and from what I have read on this forum the majority of contributors don't rate either horse that highly, which makes the benchmark somewhat questionable - to my view anyway. Either that, or some are going to have to revise their opinions of the pair that he beat in order to fit the foot to the shoe.

With opposition like that and the horses he beat in the Gold Cup, I just cannot see what the fuss is about.

Sorry guys, I remain an unrepentant heretic!

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying he's not (or hasn't been) a great horse. I still have slight doubts though over stamina on occasions when he is put to the sword. Not that that takes anything away from him - it's incredible really to think he can win Tingle Creeks, King Georges and a Gold Cup, nevermind in the same season!

Of course it is always possible that he is on the downgrade, after all he has been fairly busy. That said I wouldn't want to write him off yet, I'm sure he's quite capable of bouncing back and routing the field at Kempton.

On form, the likes of Snoopy Loopy and Tamarinbleu shouldn't be putting him to the test, much less the sword, Shads.

The idea that he is in decline is an interesting one - the theory that French horses peak earlier has been talked about a good deal recently - though I'm not sure I subscribe to it tbh.

I wasn't havig a go at you BTW, redhead; merely pointing out that your criteria for defining a "great" horse is rather lofty!

I wasn't havig a go at you BTW, redhead; merely pointing out that your criteria for defining a "great" horse is rather lofty!

No offence taken Trackside, its just that the standards set by the true greats are rather lofty, which is why they are so rare.

I agree with Shadow's point about a decline at 8 years-old. I have kept records for the past 20 years and it was a noticeable trend amongst the French-bred horses as long as 10 years ago, although it has only been brought to the attention of a wider audience over the last 5 years or so.

To take on and beat the best around over any terrain, not with provisos of track, distance etc. His Gold Cup was the slowest-run for ages and also lacked a bit of class.

It's hardly putting words in your mouth when you say they need to beat the best over any terrain regardless of track and distance.

Last edited:
Back