Kauto Star

EC1

On a break
I would like to start a thread to remeber this horse at his best..to remove that image i just watched.

We have so many memories..plenty to talk about to celebrate this great horse.

I remember watching the 2009 Gold Cup in the Northern Snooker Centre in Leeds where I was playing in a snooker tournament.

The only bet I can remember having was Neptune Collonges to place - I didn't dare back Kauto as I didn't want to scud him but was convinced he was absolutely bomb proof.

I spent the last four furlongs roaring myself hoarse at Kauto. A guy came up to me and asked "How much did you win?". When I told him I hadn't won a penny, he clearly thought I was out on day release :)

I feel sorry for people who don't get horse racing - the spectacles that Kauto and Denman have given us over the last 5 or 6 years have been the highlights of the entire time I have spent watching racing (25 years since I was 5 years old).

Kauto is quite simply the greatest National Hunt horse in my lifetime and I wish him a long and happy retirement.

Kautos first Chase (Exeter I think) he fell early and was remounted. He was over a furlong behind and got up to be beaten in a photo, you just knew a star was born that day. The rest is history as they say,

Edited to make it factual - just looked this up and about the only thing I got right was Exeter - it was his second chase and he tracked leader, led on bit approaching 4 out, 12 lengths clear and cantering, when fell 2 out, re-mounted, hit last, ran on well and beaten a shd.

Either way it was a brilliant effort - never to be repeated on these shores.

Last edited:
I was at Punchestown the same day as his first Betfair chase triumph. I remember legging it in to watch the race on the screen just after Vic Venturi got mugged in a novice chase.

He beat an on-form Beef or Salmon around 20l, on a flat galloping track with a bit of cut. It was his first attempt at over 3m, and from that day I believed this was the best staying chaser of my race-watching lifetime.

I loved the way he travelled in the final 4f of races. He could really turn on the taps, and maintain his savage jumping. I believe that most of his mistakes in his heyday were caused by him relaxing and looking around.

He is in my top 5 horses ever, along with Florida Pearl, Limestone Lad, Istabraq and Giant's Causeway.

Actually top 6, forgot Beefie.....

Last edited:
I was at Punchestown the same day as his first Betfair chase triumph. I remember legging it in to watch the race on the screen just after Vic Venturi got mugged in a novice chase.

He beat an on-form Beef or Salmon around 20l, on a flat galloping track with a bit of cut. It was his first attempt at over 3m, and from that day I believed this was the best staying chaser of my race-watching lifetime.

I loved the way he travelled in the final 4f of races. He could really turn on the taps, and maintain his savage jumping. I believe that most of his mistakes in his heyday were caused by him relaxing and looking around.

He is in my top 5 horses ever, along with Florida Pearl, Limestone Lad, Istabraq and Giant's Causeway.

Perfect top 5 although I would swap Limestone Lad with Moscow Flyer. Never really took to his connections especially after the objection at Cheltenham.

top 5 fav jumps horses for me..only in my interest in racing lifetime that is

NIGHT NURSE
SEA PIGEON
DESERT ORCHID
KAUTO STAR
MAKE A STAND

Night Nurse and Kauto would both be on my list too. Arkle would head it. Denman, Baracouda, Moscow Flyer... one or two others.

Kauto will do for me as the best chaser of my lifetime. His consistency has been remarkable, and his versatility made him my favourite. Graded chase wins at Aintree, Cheltenham, Newbury, Haydock, Ascot, Sandown, Kempton and Down Royal, over distances from 2m to 3m2f.

Great that he's stayed sound to run in five consecutive King Georges and Gold Cups.

I was on the rails today and he was beaten passing me. Ruby was jut at him and they weren't going fast. As he came home, he was applauded by those in the stands and received applause all the way from the track to the parade ring. When he past me, Nicholls said to Ruby "we didn't expect THAT", so he must have been in good form beforehand. Age catches up with the best of them. Just look at Brave Inca. One day he wins the Irish Champion when things go right, at a decent age, and then runs down the field twice on better ground. I think Kauto is the same. Just one race too many. Some career though.

Simply the best chaser I have ever seen much as I loved Desert Orchid and Best Mate .

I feel privileged to have been there to see his GC wins and his valiant efforts in defeat most of all this March and two of his KG wins - his 2009 KG performance surely the greatest by a chaser since 1966 .

A true sporting crowd there, Cantoris - Ruby seemed to crack a joke with some security guys on the way back in, and I could see people clapping. The camera lingered on KAUTO's face for some time, possibly to see if he'd bled at all (couldn't see any sign of that), but in all honesty, the horse looked quite happy and bright.

I was on the rails today and he was beaten passing me. Ruby was jut at him and they weren't going fast. As he came home, he was applauded by those in the stands and received applause all the way from the track to the parade ring. When he past me, Nicholls said to Ruby "we didn't expect THAT", so he must have been in good form beforehand. Age catches up with the best of them. Just look at Brave Inca. One day he wins the Irish Champion when things go right, at a decent age, and then runs down the field twice on better ground. I think Kauto is the same. Just one race too many. Some career though.

Didn't Paul Nicholls tell ATR that they had slacked off his work before this race?

Whereas most chasers have a not-so-good second (somtimes third) season, Kauto has only just flattened out. His consistency has been remarkable, particularly as there was speculation earlier in his career about French-breds maturing and deteriorating early.

A seriously classy horse through and through.

300 views but just a few individual replies..on a thread dedicated to one of the greatest chasers of the last 40 years

how many replies if he had been Irish trained I wonder?

oh deary me

Starting a thread because you're upset an 11yo didn't run well in a race in May has got a lot more responses than it deserved.

Pack in the pathetic comments about Irish horses..

Starting a thread because you're upset an 11yo didn't run well in a race in May has got a lot more responses than it deserved.

Pack in the pathetic comments about Irish horses..

well..thats just the answer I expected from you Hamm

i'll say what I like if its true..and you are in no position to tell me how to post..in the same way i'm not in a position to tell you to straighten out your obnoxious posting manner

so..you are supposed to be a racing fan..but view KS as just an 11yo in May..some racing fan you are then

EC1, Kauto Star hasn't been retired yet, so your thread is jumping the gun somewhat. It might get more replies when KS is eventually officially retired.

Reads-to-posts ratios are a poor way to determine interest in the thread.

Good to see you back. :cool:

PS. I shall say this only once........Hurricane.......Fly........:D

It wasn't a retirement thread as such Grass..i thought likeminded racing fans might want to think of the horse in a better light than yesterday..hence the thread

HR..very impressive..didn't that horse that finished 2nd let the form down though:D

no seriously..superb CHurdler..i got that seriously wrong..you were spot on.

mind you..some folk are wrong day in day out but you wouldn't know it to read their posts;)..no names no pack drill:lol:

Back