Kauto Star

I thought it was a nice idea for a thread; there has to be some room for sentimentality. Best Kauto moment for me has to be the 1st gold cup - the talent we could all see finally vindicated, winning the ultimate prize.

If they retire the horse after the King George this thread would run to quite a few pages. Like Denman he still has more to offer imo, but running both after Cheltenham probably wasn't the best of ideas. Especially as both have run well below form after Festival exertions even when they were in their prime.

I do think age has caught up with him, or at least the miles on the clock have finally taken their toll, and I hope he is retired after his summer break because he owes his connections nothing. I would have loved to see him go out with a final '1' against his name, but he doesn't deserve to be hawked round on the decline looking for a 'soft' race to get it. There are no soft races when you're rising 12 and have the h'cap mark he has.

I'll never forget his 2006-2007 season; unbeaten in six chases including the Tingle Creek, KG and Gold Cup. I also loved the quote from AP after the following season's KG, when he said he knew he wasn't going to win at the fourth-last because he was scrubbing away on Exotic Dancer when Kauto jumped past them with Ruby going "whoa boy, whoa".

I'm too young for Arkle, I loved Desert Orchid but Kauto is the horse of my lifetime.

Watching the Clive interview can't see him keeping the horse in training
And good for him

Last edited:
I do think age has caught up with him, or at least the miles on the clock have finally taken their toll, and I hope he is retired after his summer break because he owes his connections nothing. I would have loved to see him go out with a final '1' against his name, but he doesn't deserve to be hawked round on the decline looking for a 'soft' race to get it. There are no soft races when you're rising 12 and have the h'cap mark he has.

I'll never forget his 2006-2007 season; unbeaten in six chases including the Tingle Creek, KG and Gold Cup. I also loved the quote from AP after the following season's KG, when he said he knew he wasn't going to win at the fourth-last because he was scrubbing away on Exotic Dancer when Kauto jumped past them with Ruby going "whoa boy, whoa".

I'm too young for Arkle, I loved Desert Orchid but Kauto is the horse of my lifetime.

Eloquently put and agree with everything you've said. The best chaser I have ever seen and the national hunt horse of my lifetime.

Like Desert Orchid, those of us living around SW London have been very lucky to have seen him a good few times at Sandown, Kempton, Newbury and so on (dont think DO ever ran at Newbury come to think of it..)

Last KGV win was the high point. Apart perhaps from Master Minded's QM, I have never seen such a dominant display in a top chase. It was a bit of a Frankel moment when the crowd realised they were watching something very special indeed. A sort of communal awed WTF

A great great horse

Like Desert Orchid, those of us living around SW London have been very lucky to have seen him a good few times at Sandown, Kempton, Newbury and so on (dont think DO ever ran at Newbury come to think of it..)

Last KGV win was the high point. Apart perhaps from Master Minded's QM, I have never seen such a dominant display in a top chase. It was a bit of a Frankel moment when the crowd realised they were watching something very special indeed. A sort of communal awed WTF

A great great horse

yes..its when they go to the view from stand and you see how far back the others are and how easily the horse is winning...very few horses can impress with that view as it tends to shorten their lead..when there is a massive gap and the horse is going easily it looks very special

Watching the Clive interview can't see him keeping the horse in training
And good for him

I thought that when I watched it after the race - it sounded very much to me like he wants the horse at home in a field now.

Wonderful wonderful horse - is a fabulous advertisment for NH racing.

PN had said he''ll always have a home at Ditcheat; would be good for him to just stay there and follow a nice routine every day. Seems to me he still loves his training but not racing. For some reason, although I've probably got more emotional about Denman over the years, the thought of seeing Denman running in races like the Hennessey and coming fourth or fifth doesn't bother me as much as seeing the bright light that was Kauto slowly fading. And I want a dvd out of Kautos' races so I can sit and watch the story unfold, safe in the knowledge that he came back safe and sound at the end of his journey. Even better would be being able to go and see him parade before some of the big races, because I've never seen him in the flesh and I desperately want to do so.

Kauto even manages to disprove a forum thread that he was a gonner.... A true legend that keeps on surprising and amazing in equal measure! !

An unusal request but keen to see what can be unearthed

I am trying to find the defining picture of Kauto - there are quite a few

Perhaps someone on here can post or link to their favourite

4c8453f61eb5c06ae3046d4104c504de.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back