Kauto Star

Clive Smith doesn't seem best pleased. He was "unhappy" with the fall and thought the news should have been broken sooner. I wonder what happened. Reading between the lines, Ruby seems to be suggesting he took off a bit early, Smith says he hit the top, Nicholls has said nothing. I wonder did Ruby ask him for a big one!!

Saturady: Ruby was here on Friday morning to school some of our big guns. He schooled Kauto Star, Big Buck's, Al Ferof and Join Together to name but four and I was delighted with them all.

Today: Kauto took a tumble when Ruby schooled him at the end of last week. I say tumble, but in truth it was a pretty awful fall

Does anybody still listen to PN, he talks more shite than any other trainer and that's saying something. Surely better to say nothing than seemingly coming out with outright lies.

Last edited:
It's really disappointing that he probably won't be at Cheltenham but I can't help being a bit relieved - at least I won't have to watch from behind the couch in case he falls! I don't really think that Cheltenham is 'his' track anyway and IMHO he wouldn't/won't win another Gold Cup (will be pleased to be proved wrong though) so maybe it's all for the best and at least he is OK which is the main thing.

Maybe a touch more positive this evening. Nicholls saying that Clifford was happier with him tonight and that he just needs to improve over the coming weeks. He's now back into 2nd favourite for the Gold Cup too, albeit by a small margin. At least he isn't 20.0 which indicates that there is still a fair chance he'll show up when it matters. Finger, toes, etc all crossed.

just wondering how much matched with Betfair since the fall? Given PN is attached to them should he have perhaps given the info earlier? a pity to hear such bad news. Historians will remember JP increasing his bets on Jack Of Trumps on hearing of Gay Spartans injury before anyone else the sat before GC 79 only to be told that his horse was also injured. Also Imperial Call tripping over loose leg bandages on a Curragh gallop early 97 in prep for GC. Twelve yr olds will take longer to recover one would think.

Will be very disappointing if he doesn't make it but as long as he's ok in the long run, that's the main thing.

It goes without saying that the kautos welfare will be first priority,just hope they don't go to the festival if he is not 100% bang on

Half? I was thinking more like a non-event. I am so gutted that I can't really put it into words.

The one positive is that if he does make it the appreciation he will get for entering the paddock will far exceed that which any other horse gets for winning, and if he were able to do the unthinkable then it would be even more brilliant than anybody could have expected. We can but hope.

I am only going to see Kauto - will also be gutted if he doesn't make it.

Are they not able to postpone the festival a couple of weeks to give him extra recovery?

He's been cantering everyday. It is just that Clifford is not quite 100% happy with him. Nicholls saying he has "a great chance" of making the Festival this morning so possibly a little more positive. Apparently Clive Smith was very doom and gloom on 5Live last night but the news direct from Ditcheat seems a lot more upbeat.

Postponement sounds like a fantastic idea. Cheltenham Racecourse to Paul Nicholls - "Let us know when Kauto Star is fit and well and we'll sort out putting the race on when you're ready". :whistle:

Last edited:
Anyone who is going to Cheltenham solely to see Kauto Star needs to come to terms with the fact that they are an equine stalker, and not a racing fan per se. :whistle:

...I didn't make it to the Gold Cup one year and was outraged that they staged it anyway!

Last edited:
A bit of overreaction from nearly everyone on here - he's 50/50, not definitely out. Relax, wait and see what happens, and then you can say how glad you are he is safe and not running. Every chance as not he will still line up.

Pumpkinhead is the derogatory Betfair forum name for Nicholls.
I only switched on after the interview had started but Nicholls lost his cool,said Lydia was making accusations.Lydia asked him about his Betfair piece last week and did he regret it.

Fair dues. As per what a previous person posted, he has been exposed as an outright liar, and anyone who thinks his media 'openness' is a positive for racing would want their head tested.

Back