Kauto Star

So it would be better if he had said nothing at all and still said nothing until hes withdrawn on the day? Strange.

Hes dropped a bollock here IMO but i will take his overall communication rather than a Stoute type approach anyday

Paul Nicholls is honest and fair,and he was in this interview. In typical interviewers style Lydia tried to antagonise him,but he responded genouinely and with concern, and if anyone looked the castigated one after, it was the matron

if PH was really dishonest then he could have said nowt at all and just took a very large backhander from a prominent bookmaker to run KS and pull him up before the first fence

Paul Nicholls is honest and fair,and he was in this interview. In typical interviewers style Lydia tried to antagonise him,but he responded genouinely and with concern, and if anyone looked the castigated one after, it was the matron

I missed the start of the interview but got the impression there was a bit of niggle or previous form between the two of them.

So it would be better if he had said nothing at all and still said nothing until hes withdrawn on the day? Strange.

Hes dropped a bollock here IMO but i will take his overall communication rather than a Stoute type approach anyday

So you prefer him telling you lies?! Kauto worked great thay day, eh?

Speaking to a friend who has a friend in the yard who has a brother who works for Nicholls................................. and he says he won't run. Says he hasn't been great since the last run.

But don't quote me ;)

Speaking to a friend who has a friend in the yard who has a brother who works for Nicholls................................. and he says he won't run. Says he hasn't been great since the last run.

But don't quote me ;)

Jinny, it looks like the bookies agree with you.....all shortening

Apart from admiting he's a top dog trainer and businessman I am the last person who would stand up for Paul Nicholls as he does my head in with some of the things he says.

However with regards to Kauto Star's fall it would have been far worse if he'd jumped on the phone and told the media he had a bad fall right after it happened.

If he had the horse would immediatly drited like a barge and had he been 100% 3 or 4 days later and backed all over the place before he could say so Paul Nichols would have been called every name under the sun.

When something like this happens any sensible trainer will hold fire until the picture is clearer. If the horse seems ok he can then say what happened but say it was a scare but he's fine and no harm done. In this case he wasn't fine so they announced when they knew 100% it may well be he wont run. G

Granted anyone who backed the horse over the last few days may be a bit peeved but I think the way Paul Nichols has conducted himelf during this has been the better of 2 evils.

Last edited:
He obviously writes his RP piece for Saturday's newspaper on Thursday :D

A jackanory trainers article as they called it on the Betfair forum.Nicholls gives a few details to Tony Calvin and he pads it out.
Tony Calvin has been at the heart of this story and the Voler las Vedette incident-I can't see him lasting the year at Betfair.

'a huge step forward' - look I hope Kauto makes it as much as anyone (and i think he will) but these skysports news like updates are starting to bug me.

"Nicholls is referred to by some as the Sir Alex Ferguson of racing"......according to Mike Bushell on BBC Breakfast this morning.

It's not a comparison that I have heard at all.

'a huge step forward' - look I hope Kauto makes it as much as anyone (and i think he will) but these skysports news like updates are starting to bug me

Which just goes to show that they're on a hiding to nothing - too little information, too much information .... hey ho ..

It must have been easier to be a trainer in the days where all you did was train horses and keep your owners happy. Being a PR man as well must be tiring at times; I think it would get on my nerves.

While I agree with the general comments of waiting until you know what you're talking about, it is disinformation I object to: i.e. saying everything is perfect after he had had the fall but before the announcement about it.

Apparently he worked with What A Friend this morning and they were "delighted" with him, so things seem okay.

I just hope that next week Nicholls doesn't tell us he's done a tendon in the same work.

A jackanory trainers article as they called it on the Betfair forum.Nicholls gives a few details to Tony Calvin and he pads it out.
Tony Calvin has been at the heart of this story and the Voler las Vedette incident-I can't see him lasting the year at Betfair.
Spot on - it'll be the same for all RP and Betfair columnists. There's one noteable exception who does write their own column in the RP Weekender but that's largely down to the columnist being of the opinion that it looked like a 5yo had written it one week.

Martin

He might be on the mend physically, but it took him a long time to get over his Cheltenham fall, mentally.

He might be on the mend physically, but it took him a long time to get over his Cheltenham fall, mentally.

This. Bad falls can really scare horses, and it would be interesting to know how much (if at all) they are going to school him before the race now - youd think they would have to school at least once, and hope that its not affected him too much.

Hoepfully it wont have bothered him too much at all and he will be back to his best for the race so that Long Run can beat him fair and square. :whistle:

Something just really doesn't add up about this Kauto Star saga, it really wouldn't surprise me if the horse never even had a fall in the first place. The horse never even drifted on Betfair until Nicholls gave his blog where he said it happened a few days later. Now he may have trustworthy staff and so on, but I fail to believe for one moment that in those days prior to his announcement that some one wouldn't have made a phone call to a punter saying that the horse had fallen and had vets in looking at him and he was stiff, it just doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Also correct me if I'm wrong but given I have horses and my trainer if a horse had not been ridden for 5-6 day's having had a bad fall and only been on the walker and so on, there is no way in hell any trainer would give the horse "a strong canter over ten furlongs" especially upsides a race fit horse as his comments give us the impression as that could cause the horse to tie up and that would create further problems. I just really don't buy all this story and not sure what to think.

Flame, you seem to have missed a fair old chunk of reporting.

Kauto hasn't been just on the walker, he has been cantering since it happened. He cantered on Saturday, the day after the fall and hasn't missed a canter since.

And just because some stables leak like sieves doesn't mean that all stables do.

:DNothing like a good conspiracy theory to start the day.

Can just imagine Ruby Clive Smith and big Paul sitting round the breakfast table hatching the plan.

PN. Ok Ruby you get Kauto to lie down and pretend he's hurt. I'll clatter 2 bin lids together and and Clive can shout Oh My God Kauto Has fallen........that should fool all the lads in the yard.

Ruby: Why?

PN Fooked if I know

Ruby: We'll think of something

Clive: You guys are nuts I'm taking Kauto out of here

Last edited:
Back