Kentucky Derby (was: Dunkirk)

Minor ankle injury apparently. Connections playing it safe, but you can just imagine the uproar if something had happened to him in the race...

Track sloppy at the moment but expected to dry out.

Sheik Mo is at Churchill Downs today for the first time. He has hired a camera crew to follow him around so he must be expecting good things from his two runners.

Usually Tabor is here. Demi O'Byrne was at the Derby draw sitting with Pletcher.

Magnier usually only comes over for the BC and the sales.

No bet race for me, but Dunkirk looks a little big at around 6/1. Weather throws everything up in the air though.

Mine That Bird wins. 50s on track, any price you wanted over here! Calvin Borel of Street Sense fame on his back.

I would never have had that one!

And agree with Gal, very ugly race. Hate that ground when it is slop.

This horse sounds like the Norton's Coin of Kentucky Derby.

Last edited:
Calvin the Hill Billy wins it again!

You've got to love him; talk about heart-on-the-sleeve. Thought he'd never be the same after he lost the Preakness on Street Sense but he's gone and done the Oaks/Derby double now.

Edit: I think he's lost it totally now :lol:

2nd? 3rd? 4th? Thought I knew the form of the main protagonists pretty well - but then, of course, Mine That Bird wasn't reckoned to be one of the main protagonists. A shocker.

Remember that Breeders' Cup at Churchill a few years back where everything on the rail won?

Winner's a gelding, too. Another Funny Cide?

My God did you see how far back he was early??? Makes Giacomo's race look normal!

Edit: I'm not just parroting RUK, honest.

Was entertaining in laws since yesterday afternoon missed the Kentucky Derby and 1000.I understand the winner finished 4th in Sunland Derby-absolutely shocking.

Back