Kentucky Derby (was: Dunkirk)

What's your gut feeling about the horse Powerscourt & LBM? Likely to be found out or do you think he will be up to Grade 1 company?

I haven´t changed my mind about him, although I must admit his second race was much better than his debut.
I think his race times are not great (unlike Big Brown´s last year before the Florida Derby) and he will get beat this Saturday and therefore very likely will miss the Ky Derby. Having said that, the Florida Derby doesn´t look very strong in depth this year.

For fans of European racing Theregoesjojo is being touted as an Epsom Derby horse by connections - interesting to see how he goes today :)

If he's not up to placing in this he'd be better off missing the Derby anyway.

If he does not finish first or second he won't even get in to the Derby field as he won't have enough graded earnings.

I think he should be good enough to win on Saturday. He is a horse very much on the upgrade and has been training very well.

If he does not finish first or second he won't even get in to the Derby field as he won't have enough graded earnings.

I know - I'm just pointing out that it might be for the best!

There'll be a few long faces in Versailles if this horse doesn't line up in the Derby anyway!

Mind you, the same people were barking about Bandini and, though he lined up, he bombed out badly at Churchill Downs.

Point taken, Powerscourt. Had forgotten about that. He came back for the Met Mile the next year IIR but was never the same horse.

Dunkirk won $ 150,000 he still might get in.

He came with a wide run and took the lead but QR fought back gamely.

Thanks very much for that Circumspect.

Strange ride, big move on the bend after been set a stiff task. Winner well on top at the end though.

Gomez rode him like he was bloody pegasus. For a minute swinging in, it looked like he might have been right.

Hard to make excuses though; once the winner was asked a question he quickened impressively.

Quality Road looked like one of those pumped-up US horses to me, whilst Dunkirk looked like a normal thoroughbred. I wonder... Where is QR trained and what is the jurisdiction there?

Back