Kicking King

Guest_

At the Start
Now I know they never come back etc etc but Tom Taaffe has done really well by this horse and has generally been exceptionally honest and forthright regarding his well being and come back. So it is encouraging to see him talk so confidently ahead of what is a make or break race for Kicking King on Wednesday. Wouldn't it be wonderful to see a display of his previous best and put the King George of 2008 back on the programme for next season. I know it's unlikely but I for one will be rooting for him on Wednesday (and Beefy to get home safe and sound- why in Gods name are they doing this).

'REAL' KING READY TO GO FOR GOLD

By Thomas Deane, PA Sport

Tom Taaffe believes Punchestown racegoers will see the "real Kicking King" in action when he lines up for Wednesday's Guinness Gold Cup.

The former Cheltenham Gold Cup winner missed this year's Festival at Prestbury Park as he was failing to sparkle beforehand, but is back in top shape for another crack at a race he won in 2005.

"He's great and his preparation has been uninterrupted," said Taaffe.

"He's in great form, he looks well and we're very much looking forward to Wednesday.

"The only reason he missed Cheltenham was that he just wasn't sparkling and I couldn't get him to fire at the time so we had to be patient.

"He's a livewire for next week and you'll see the real Kicking King.

"The only place you can really tell is on the racetrack but he's looking well, eating well and working very well.

"He's giving the right vibes and his eyes are big and bright," he told At The Races.

Kicking King features among the 15 horses engaged, along with last year's winner Neptune Collonges and Ryanair Chase runner-up Mossbank.

Other interesting possibles include Cloudy Lane, Mister Top Notch and Beef Or Salmon, who is set to bring down the curtain on his tremendous career.

William Hill's Irish spokesman Tony Kenny said: "Neptune Collonges looks like he'll be the one to beat on Wednesday.

"On all known form he's entitled to be favourite for the race and I wouldn't be too surprised if he went off around even-money.

"Beef Or Salmon's best years have been and gone and it would be a massive surprise if he won the race.

"However, he is a massive favourite with the punters, and we're expecting to see a good bit of sentimental money for the old fella on Wednesday."

SALMON SET FOR RETIREMENT
By PA Sport Staff

Michael Hourigan envisages a happy retirement for Beef Or Salmon, who brings his illustrious career to an end at Punchestown on Wednesday.

The popular 12-year-old bids a fond farewell to competitive action after the Punchestown Guinness Gold Cup, a race he won in 2004.

"He'll have a good retirement," Hourigan told At The Races.

"He'll be ridden every day and will be well looked after.

"It will be sad to see him go but hopefully he'll come back safe and sound and enjoy his retirement."

Beef Or Salmon was a revelation in his pomp, and leaves behind a legacy consisting of at least 10 Grade One victories and over £983,000 in prize-money.

Despite his stellar achievements in Ireland, he failed to win a race in Britain and consistently struggled in the Cheltenham Gold Cup.

"He's been a super horse in Ireland and ran well three times at Haydock," added the County Limerick handler.

"I think the fall at Cheltenham (as a novice in 2003) took it out of him and he always remembered that bad fall.

"He's 12 now and we wouldn't want to drive him into the dirt."

Then why bloody run him on ground likely to be much too fast against horses that have the legs of him these days!?!

He's been a super horse for connections ..Come back safe & sound ....and enjoy your retirement :)

Anyway the betting for the big race with Paddy Power...

Neptune Collonges 13-8
Mossbank 5-2
Kicking King 10-1
Mister Top Notch 12-1
New Alco 12-1
Snowy Morning 12-1
Cloudy Lane 14-1
Beef Or Salmon 20-1
Hi Cloy 20-1
One Cool Cookie 20-1
Pomme Tiepy 20-1
Cailin Alainn 25-1
Bewleys Berry 33-1
Sher Beau 40-1
Bothar Na 100-1

Originally posted by LUKE@Apr 20 2008, 12:09 AM
Paddy Power said on tv last night that they haven't taken a decent bet for Neptune Collonges.
That's probably got more than a little to do with the fact that Paddy Power aren't in the business of laying "a decent bet"!

Originally posted by Shadow Leader+Apr 20 2008, 07:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Shadow Leader @ Apr 20 2008, 07:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-LUKE@Apr 20 2008, 12:09 AM
Paddy Power said on tv last night that they haven't taken a decent bet for Neptune Collonges.
That's probably got more than a little to do with the fact that Paddy Power aren't in the business of laying "a decent bet"! [/b][/quote]
Very true Shadow-I opened an account with them in January which I have now closed.For me its betfair and cash betting only.Where I live there is red hot competition betwen the various firms and its possible to get a decent bet with some nice concessions attatched.

It's very much that way for me too Luke. A lot of my accounts (especially the PP one) are as good as closed as the max bet allowed tends to be in the region of £4-£12 each way on pretty much any given selection!

You might be interested to hear that a friend of mine tried to get a bet on in a PP shop in Dublin. When they knocked him back, he asked for a cream cake and two doughnuts. The confused cashier asked him what he was talking about so he told them "well, you don't lay a bet, so I thought you might sell cakes".

He seemed to be travelling ok from what I could see (tiny ATR online screen) but then just stopped.

Tom Taaffe said beforehand he had got the horse back to the best he has ever had him?

Was he saying this to keep the horse's owner sweet, or is someone in the yard telling him porkies?

Whatever the case, he is a shadow of his formerself (that was obvious well before today).

Retirement surely beckons.

Found plenty of mucus. Coming back next year, and I have to say - despite being cynical - there was encouragement there that it would be worth it. He's not going to be the force of old but he's a racehorse and if he is capable of racing a high level - which I still think he is - then why not keep him at it unless he seems not to be enjoying it. My example, again, is the quiet first season Archibald had back before coming to himself a bit more this time around.

There would seem to be something lingering in the yard, Taaffe's form is not good in general and he was travelling well until going out like a light. Mr clarkson knows enough a bout racing to know if someone is taking the p***. He's worth another chance next year and I think if he needs to be retired he will be it won't be a long drawn out thing like it was for BOF.

Originally posted by Bobbyjo@Apr 23 2008, 05:10 PM
Found plenty of mucus.

Where, on the fences?
Never in a 100 years I will be able to understand this. Taking the trainers quote in the RP in to account also, this is just a joke, clearly.

What sort of racecourse spin, granger? I take it you mean he was on parade, rather than actually cantering on the track?

Cheers, granger.

Why on earth would they be working away with War Of Attrition at this stage?! There was me thinking he was out for another season to give him time to get over his injury!

Surely they're not thinking of running him until the end of the year at the earliest? In which case the horse shouldn't be having racecourse gallops, for God's sake! And people wonder why their horses break down again/don't heal properly in the first place......

It was a light canter Shadow, not a racecourse gallop in the traditional sense. You really had to see it to know.

Fair point above re: KK relevant to how all Taaffe horses have ran this week. I wouldn't be giving up on him. He jumped and travelled until going out like a light, and there was a proper enough pace out front.

I was only going on what granger had said, ie they were "going a decent skelp".

Besides which, I'd wonder why the horse is even cantering? It's April - if they are planning to run him in the autumn, he should be out in a field, letting his leg have as much time as possible to heal. Morris even said himself that they started riding him only 3 months after his surgery when they should have a year off.

The main healer with leg injuries is time. KK's connections know that - they started him back in training too soon and they too had to miss an extra season. Ditto Well Chief.

If you had a Gold Cup winning horse that had a tendon injury why on earth would you not give it at least a year off and rush it back into training? In December they admitted he was in "strong work" - why, unless you only want to break them down again?

Sheer madness.

Back