Kicking King

Yes he had stem cell treatment. Not too much evidence available as to whether or not it works, very new stuff, and also many different methods but he had the most advanced treatment.

Why do I need to read the whole thread? Do you really think these people on a whim said '3 months is enough if he breaks down so what'. I don't know the ins and outs but surely vets, trainer, owners and people whose input was required where consulted and in your opinion got it wrong. That says to me the injury wasn't as bad as first feared. You liken having a leg to being pregnant in as much that it is either black or white, that in the case of legs is complete nonsense. You even contradict youself by staing tendon injuries will be variable.

Goodnight.

I don't know why I'm bothering to repsond to you but I should set a few things straight that you have misread.

Firstly, why should I repeat myself because you can't be arsed to read back to the beginning of the thread?

Secondly, if you had been bothered to read the whole thread you'll see that Morris himself stated that the horse was being ridden within three months when they normally have a year off.

Thirdly, again you didn't read my post. The severity of the injury is variable, however once you have a tendon injury, you have a tendon injury, not a bit of one, even if it is not severe. IMO the best and only course of treatment is time - firing is an effective treatment but it is still combined with the year [or more] off.

Now I shall repeat myself no further.

FU - there IS no scientific evidence when it comes to stem cell treatment as to how successful it is since the sample size of animals treated in such a way is so small and the treatment itself is still in its early days. Still, why let facts get in the way of a scientific theory that doesn't actually exist yet?

Last edited:
Don't get me wrong, I hope the horse recovers well and gets back to the track in one piece - I just cannot understand why any set of connections would feel the need to rush a horse back into work when they could have been more patient and given them the time in the first place. As it happens, the horse did have the extra time off the track which begs the question why did they put him back in full work anyway when it wasn't needed? It could be argued that he needed the extra season off in the end due to them putting him back in work too soon in the first place.

FU - there IS no scientific evidence when it comes to stem cell treatment as to how successful it is since the sample size of animals treated in such a way is so small and the treatment itself is still in its early days. Still, why let facts get in the way of a scientific theory that doesn't actually exist yet?

I share your concern and agree with you on above, which is what I mentioned already. Will be interesting in future cases to be able to assess if this treatment does work.

War is fine at the moment, only time will tell if he can race again.

Shadow,
Firstly You shouldn't have bothered to reply.
Secondly I noted the he had 3 months off. (It's in my post)
Thirdly your're telling me you know more about legs than a qualified vet.
While I appreciate you have worked with horses I would take the word of a vet every time over yours.

Sorry, all tendon injuries aren't the same and saying any horse with a tendon injury needs a year off is far too simplistic. A 5% tear may take significantly less time with a horse that is a quick healer for example. Each horse is different and the 'year off' scenario tends to be the general line given it normall ends any racing opportunity for the current season which only happens in a six month window anyway.

Last edited:
I disagree, Maruco. Time is what heals tendons and I know of too many horses brought back too soon only to break down again.

Even a small tear should be given a year off IMO.

Taaffe's only concerns now are about the going, explaining:

"They are racing at Gowran on Friday and the ground would be quick enough.

"I just want it to be safe. The horse is in good form and we are looking forward to his first run of the season.

"I hope he'll run a good race. He's out early, but I would have looked at running in this sort of race in previous seasons if he had not been injured."

Oh God - I just looked down to log in here (keep having to log in dammit!) and just missed the fall - pray he is OK not a word of course from the dratted racecaller

Yes just saw him being led - looks none the worse - what a horrible couple of minutes that was!

Barry Geraghty just drives me mental. Horse jumps the first fence well, Geraghty boots the horse into the second fence when there was absolutely no need for it and it was no surprise to see him make his mistake at the third. By booting him into it he got the horse right hard on the bridle and keen.

The object of today should have been to get him around first of all, particularly early on. If he had a brain he would be dangerous...

Agreed the horse was being very bold and keen right from the first jump - needs a quiet jockey right now and certainly not a showman!

Barry Geraghty just drives me mental. Horse jumps the first fence well, Geraghty boots the horse into the second fence when there was absolutely no need for it and it was no surprise to see him make his mistake at the third. By booting him into it he got the horse right hard on the bridle and keen.

The object of today should have been to get him around first of all, particularly early on. If he had a brain he would be dangerous...

I suppose you would have done better. It wasn't a Beginners Chase that he was riding in.

Back