Kieren Fallon

Originally posted by Warbler@Oct 8 2007, 09:20 PM
I've only scanned the article but I didn't see any evidence to suggest covert tape recordings/ bugging had taken place.
Nope, you're right - can't imagine where I got that idea from! Oh, hang on.....

The jury heard that bugged conversations that Rodgers had in August 2004 with Fergal Lynch,Philip Sherkle and others would be produced in evidence.

They were taken from bugs in Rodgers's Mercedes car and in the car park of an Italian restaurant which he owns.

"It was from that car park that Rodgers would frequently make calls on his mobile when he did not wish to be overheard," said Mr Caplan.

I'm pretty sure Gareth is right. You haver to get permission to bug from a judge, not sure if it has to be a High Court judge or whether a Circuit judge will do - Ardross? - and have to have good prima facie evidence that it would be justified, for permission to be given. Allegedly. In theory. In fact very few judges ever refuse to grant such an order to the police.

What's being reported so far is too depressing for words.
I hate all this and dread to think how long it's going to drag on, and on, and on

Went and had a look back in the RP database at the result/analysis of the race in question (after which Fallon is said to have sent the latest round of texts. Analysis certainly makes for interesting reading:

"This was not a competitive maiden by Newmarket standards, with only Daring Aim and Articulation ever looking like winning.
DARING AIM, a half-sister to Oaks second Flight Of Fancy, is clearly not straightforward and appeared slightly reluctant to leave the stalls. Once underway, she flashed her tail on several occasions before Kieren Fallon got her mind on the job. Fallon, aware that there was no early pace, chose to take his mount to the head of affairs and it seemed as if the daughter of Daylami might be passed in the final furlong as her enthusiasm started to wane. However, she was kept about her business by Fallon, who wasn't about to admit defeat. She could win again - albeit at handicap level.
Articulation, up in trip after a promising debut over ten furlongs, certainly has the ability to land a maiden soon.
There was plenty to like about Garnett's debut at Windsor last month and this was probably a slight improvement on that effort.
This was Zuma's eighth race and he's somewhat exposed now. Yet to make the frame, he'll probably have to drop down in grade to break his duck."

As I said I stopped half way down the article, but also concur with Gareth that permission is needed. I had a feeling however that the Home Secretary was involved in sanctioning it? or is that where national security is the issue at hand.

Could well be wrong but bugging a place eg, a room or car, using a mike is one thing but getting phone taps into court is another as was seen in recent 'terrorist' cases. If I read correctly here they recorded, on a bug in a car, a person making telephone calls, they did not tap the phone.

I xas told over the weekend that there was going to be trouble over the police hiding evidence from the defendants,i presume they mean the phone bugging.

This scandal is beleived to be in the region of 2 million, this is a relatively small ammount considering the coverage it is getting. Im use to reading about drug scandals & fraud cases at the ol bailey that run into the hundreds of millions. i read a few posts up where someone said the home secretary had sanctioned the bugging, it all seems a little low level for him to be getting involved. My own theory is that the people behind the laying, who are not named (except miles rodgers) are in some way involved in other things which is at the attention of the powers that be?

I was always lead to believe that Kieran Fallon was easily "misled". I can't believe he if he is involved that the money would have been the driving factor behind it but possibly just easy to talk round or sell to. A real shame if he is found guilty of any wrong doing and if he is, let's hope he picks his "friends" more carefully in the future. This whole case has no doubt been a massive wake up call for him. If he is found guilty he is going to have to pay for it.

I am still trying to work out what the jockeys are meant to have got out of all of this. Presumably, a financial deal, but the amounts of money that were being gambled for what appears a rather small return seems, well too much of a risk for that profit then to have to be shared. I assume the jockeys would have been on a fixed amount per thrown race, which is why I am perplexed as to what would have driven someone like Kieran to get involved? shrug:: He is massively high profile, is presumably fairly well off, so why would somone like him get involved in such a tacky business of throwing races via Betfair if indeed he did? shrug::

‘There was a conspiracy between these defendants and other persons that races should be fixed'

by Paul Eacott

KIEREN FALLON was on Monday alleged to be part of a huge race-fixing conspiracy which staked more than £2 million but ended up making a loss of £278,000 after the six-time champion jockey won on five of the horses he was supposed to have stopped.

Fallon, along with former weighing-room colleagues Fergal Lynch and Darren Williams, were alleged to have agreed to ensure horses they were riding lost in 27 races between December 2002 and September 2004, the Old Bailey was told on Monday.

The prosecution alleged there was an agreement not to permit horses to run on their merits and that “riding practices would be used if necessary” to interfere with their running, in order for a number of Betfair accounts operated by professional gambler and former racing syndicate boss Miles Rodgers to profit.

The three jockeys, along with Rodgers, Lynch's brother Shaun, and Philip Sherkle, a barman from Tamworth in Staffordshire, all deny charges that they conspired to defraud by interfering with the running of horses to ensure they lost races, defrauding Betfair punters and others putting money on the races. Rodgers is also accused of concealing the proceeds of crime, a charge he also denies.

Jonathan Caplan QC, prosecuting in the case billed as Crown vs Rodgers and others, told the jury it would be invited to look at all the circumstances of the case and “at the pattern which we say clearly emerges from them”.
Caplan told the court that the betting was organised and conducted by Rodgers, who on racedays would have direct contact by mobile telephone with Fergal Lynch and Williams.

Fallon, however, was more cautious and Rodgers had indirect contact with him using an intermediary, Shaun Lynch, to a lesser extent Fergal Lynch, and latterly, Sherkle.

After Rodgers had been contacted by Fergal Lynch or Williams directly pre-race, or by Fallon indirectly via his intermediary, Rodgers would then begin to use the Betfair accounts to lay the horse in question, it wasalleged.

After Rodgers was arrested on September 1, 2004, a text message was found in a mobile phone belonging to him, which he received from Sherkle.

Sherkle had received a text from Fallon a minute before texting Rodgers on August 14, 2004, theday he rode Goodwood Spirit at an evening meeting at Goodwood.

The horse finished third, with Rodgers having laid it to win almost £30,000.

On other occasions, Rodgers staked over £100,000 on the Fallon-ridden Favour to win just over £12,000; on Romil Star, ridden by Williams, he wagered just over £92,000 to win just over £16,000; on CD Europe, ridden by Lynch, he wagered nearly £36,000 to win nearly £2,000.

These bets by Rodgers usually amounted to just over 50 per cent of the Betfair market.

The jury heard bugged conversations that Rodgers had in August 2004 with Fergal Lynch, Sherkle and others.

They were taken from bugs in Rodgers' Mercedes and in the car park of an Italian restaurant, Tiamo, which he owns in Penistone near Sheffield.
“It was from that car park that Rodgers would frequently make calls on his mobile when he did not wish to be overheard,” said Caplan.

The jury was also told how Racing New South Wales's chief steward Ray Murrihy had been asked to watch recordings of 27 races and expressed concern about 13 of them.

Although the defendants have firmly denied there was a plot, some agreed they had phoned each other for the innocent purpose of passing on tips or betting information.

Caplan told the court that Fallon had admitted discussing the prospects of his own rides with Fergal and Shaun Lynch, but claimed to be unaware they passed this information on to Rodgers.
He also said that Fallon had admitted giving some tips to Sherkle so that he could have his own “couple of quid” on them but he claimed he was completely unaware whether Sherkle passed these tips to Rodgers. Caplan said it was “inconceivable” that Fallon gave information to the Lynch brothers and to Sherkle and they all passed it on to Rodgers without him knowing.

Fallon rode in 17 of the races and it is alleged that his five wins between mid-May and mid-August 2004 cost the group £436,579, leading to a temporary fall-out between Fallon and Rodgers.

The wins included one on the Queen's horse, Daring Aim. This was said to have cost the conspiracy some £138,000.

The day after the race at Newmarket on July 23, 2004, there was an exchange of text messages between Fallon and Sherkle.

Fallon,the court heard, said: “They will take my licences off me if they drift like that last night. They are watching me.”

Caplan said there was no evidence that Fallon ever received any money or benefit from Rodgers or anyone else connected with the conspiracy. But it was the prosecution case that he held himself accountable for losses that cost the conspirators about half a million pounds.

“He would have to earn that money back for the conspirators by stopping horses before he would receive any benefit himself. The inference to be drawn is that he was clearly involved for reward,” Caplan said.

Evidence, it is alleged, showed Rodgers talking about some of those who had lost money laying bets on Fallon, saying they “were going to go and see” him. At one point Rodgers says: “He has left us all in the ######. We are all fucking sat here fucking short.”

He tells Sherkle, allegedly acting as intermediary for Fallon: “He's not playing with a full stack, is he?”

Fergal Lynch had ridden in six of the races and only lost the group money once by winning on Familiar Affair. He earned a net profit for the conspiracy of just over £5,000. It is alleged he won on the one occasion because he was “playing” three races for the conspirators in one day.

The court heard that Rodgers was “clearly upset” at the win, which lost him £43,000, and the jury was played a recording of a phone call before the third race, in which he tells Lynch: “You cannot make a mistake.”

The jury was also played a recording of a mobile phone call between Rodgers and Fergal Lynch, in which the former can be heard saying: “I can get money to you . . . Kim can pick money up and Kim can fetch it to you.”

Examinations of Fergal Lynch's cash withdrawals showed that he made no such withdrawals between August 26 2003 and January 6 2004 and only drew out about £3,000 in the first six months of 2004. When Rodgers was arrested, Lynch's bank details were found in his briefcase.

Darren Williams rode four of the races and won £55,000 for the plotters each time by losing, the court heard. Jurors were also shown surveillance footage of Williams emerging from a pub, the Bridge Inn Hotel at Walshford, in August 2004 with the former jockey Gavin Faulkner, following a meeting with Rodgers, with awhite envelope.

When he was arrested the next day, on September 1, £520 cash was found at his home, and a white envelope was stuffed under his mattress, the court heard.

The trial continues on Tuesday

I know some people thrive on "living on the edge", but this just seems to be a ludicrous scam to get involved in.

I wonder if scams such as these get addictive. People plot and plan, get away with it a few times, so they up the stakes thinking it's all too easy not realising that they are leaving behind a paper trail. Seems an absolute no brainer to me.

Getting more distasteful by the day.

The people suggested to be on the fringes of this thing, their suggested operating methods plus the use of undercover police plus extensive bugging ........

What a mess.

GAMBLERS 'ANGRY AT FALLON WINNING'

By Shenai Raif, PA

Members of a race-fixing syndicate were spotted driving towards Kieren Fallon's home late at night after he won a race he was expected to lose, the Old Bailey heard on Tuesday.

Syndicate boss Miles Rodgers and his backers were angered after losing �160,000 on Russian Rhythm because the horse came first, the court was told.

After making unsuccessful attempts to confront Fallon face to face, Rodgers, Shaun Lynch and Philip Sherkle were seen driving towards his house near Newmarket by an undercover policeman, said Jonathan Caplan QC, prosecuting.

Rodgers's Mercedes car was followed along unlit country roads by the officer.

But after the policeman parked, the Mercedes, with its headlights on full beam, came up behind him, it was alleged.

The policeman drove off towards Newmarket and stopped to explain to a colleague what had happened.

Mr Caplan said: "The Mercedes then passed by slowly and turned to drive slowly back.

"As the officer attempted to pull away in the car, the Mercedes attempted to block his path.

"The Mercedes followed him. He saw a marked police vehicle and accelerated over a mini roundabout.

"The police car then stopped the officer's vehicle and the Mercedes drove slowly past again, and then it drove off."

Mr Caplan added: They would not have known that he was a police officer but they were obviously concerned that they might be being watched."

Twelve days earlier on May 15 2004, Fallon had won the Juddmonte Lockinge Stakes on Russian Rhythm, a horse trained by Sir Michael Stoute, at Newbury.

The race was of "some significance and value" and the only Group One event involved in the conspiracy, said Mr Caplan.

The prosecution alleges that Fallon and two other jockeys were involved in the conspiracy to allow 27 horses to lose.

Rodgers bet on the horses to lose but lost money if they won. Fallon was said to have lost 12 races for the syndicate but won five others when he was due to lose.

The six-times champion jockey and three-times Derby winner and five men deny the charge.

The court also heard that Fallon was booked on a trip to see the "Big Man" in the �2 million conspiracy.

But Fallon was a "no show" on a trip to Malaga in Spain, said Mr Caplan.

He said the confirmation for the journey was found in the glove compartment of Fallon's car after his arrest in September 2004.

Mr Caplan said that on August 3 2004, another jockey, Fergal Lynch, was on the same plane to Spain with Rodgers.

He said an undercover policeman was also on board and after they left the plane, Rodgers was heard to say to Lynch: "When you meet the big man, play up to him. He's coming down internally..."

Mr Caplan added: "The prosecution say the journey was to meet one of the unknown men in the conspiracy."

They returned to Britain on August 5. A ticket had been bought for Fallon from August 1-4.

Mr Caplan said: "Although Fallon did not join them on the trip to Spain, a ticket for him had, in fact, been purchased by Fergal Lynch.

"The ticket confirmation had been seized after Fallon's arrest from the glove compartment of his car. Fallon was a 'no show' on the flight.

"That trip was made, at least in part, to enable Rodgers and Fergal Lynch to meet with the persons residing in Spain who were parties to this conspiracy.

"Mr Fallon did not use that ticket and he did not go."

Fallon had also angered the syndicate in July 2004 by losing members �105,000 by winning on the Queen's horse Daring Aim.

But in March 2004, Fallon lost a race which he appeared to be winning.

He said Fallon appeared to stop riding Ballinger Ridge as he came into the home stretch with a huge lead at Lingfield.

Fallon told a stewards' inquiry that he had given the horse "a breather" and was afraid he would become "legless" if he kept up the pace, the court was told.

A racing expert said Fallon dramatically slowed his momentum "to the point where he is doing virtually nothing".

Jockeys Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland; Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire; and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire; Lynch's brother, Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast; former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire; and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, deny conspiracy to defraud users of Betfair online exchange and punters.

Rodgers also denies concealing the proceeds of crime. All the defendants are on bail.

The trial was adjourned to Wednesday.

I hope I am being careful enough to respect Gals caution not to offer opinions - but even on the face of this unchallenged evidence howdefuq did he remain cool enough to be so good for the last season and a half? Ice for blood.

It's really hard reading it without being able to pass an opinion tbh.

Can we not talk about the situation in that Dick Francis novel?

That one where champion jockey Ginger Townley was charged with throwing races for some nasty men. norty

We wouldn't be treading on toes then would we?

Might be prudent to take the thread down indeed, as it seems we're virtually limited to reproducing RP reports which are available on their site anyway..

AC, I don't think Fallon has been half the jockey he was since this all broke, and I get the feeling he would admit as much himself..

Betfair are "squashing" all discussions in any of their forums. Service notice was put up at about 1:30 this afternoon saying any mention will be taken down.

I'm inclined to agree at this state, to be honest. It's not much of a compromise, but one possible idea would be to keep a locked thread which mods can reopen to post any new stories (or links to) as the trial continues so that people - particularly those who might not be able to access sites like the RP - can keep abreast of it?

Sounds like a plan Gareth..

A "media round-up" style thread of coverage of the trial in the papers would be a good idea IMO..

It's very dangerous territory, and after all we can all read the reports on the RP site, or any other newpaper. Anything else written on here is bound to come into the catefory of comment, and as such is dangerous for the forum. I too vote the thread is pulled.

It's only a matter of time, if it stays up, before someone says something which could prejudice the trial. It's that serious. Only a year or so ago, a trial was pulled at vast public expense due to something carelessly written in The Mirror.

Back