Kieren Fallon

One other thing guys....the report of the trial in the Irish Times today Wednesday, top of page 11, names the Irish guy who was involved and his domicile, something which I haven't seen mentioned in any of the Sporting Life or Racing Post articles over the last couple of days.

I dont think this is the only forum where the trial is being discussed. I woudlnt want to discuss this in my local, in case the local is closed down either.

The mods do what they have to do, but I think we are giving ourselves a little too much credit by comparing ourselves to the Daily Mirror.

I think we are giving ourselves a little too much credit by comparing ourselves to the Daily Mirror.

True, but how much of a chance would you want to take if you were liable?

Correct, and not my decision to make. I would be more fast and loose on this than is probably prudent, but as I said its not my decision to make. I couldnt see anything that has been said to date causing a problem, but who knows where this will go. It woul need more careful monitoring than other threads, but that is what the moderators get paid for, isnt it???

I for one would appreciate the thread being kept open for the reports from the RP and ther sites I can't access from work to be copied.

I think people are sensible enough on here to know that they just have to be very careful in what they say. If the mods felt more comfortable with restricting comment, then Gareth's idea is a good one. Surely, we are allowed to "comment" on the RP's reporting on the case though aren't we? shrug::

I don't see any reason for the thread to be locked as long as it carries on like it is. Just think before you post :)

Yes I agree I don't think we need censorship on here (like we had prior to the departure of you know who?)

I think common sense must prevail on this forum! And a very large element of free speech also, which does not obviously contravene the boards rules..

I personally don't think the judge or jury are going to listen to what we got to say, either way.....

So I think people are going overboard if they think this will happen! It's like someone posted we have not the reading - clientele of the Daily Mirror or the War cry either???? :P

Fallon 'driven by desire to win'

by Shenai Raif

THE suggestion that Kieren Fallon was deliberately trying to lose raceswas "simply ridiculous", a betting scam trial was told on Wednesday.

Fallon was six times champion jockey and a man "driven to win", said his barrister, John Kelsey-Fry QC.

Fallon listened a few feet away as Mr Kelsey-Fry told a jury at the Old Bailey: "He is a man driven by the desire to win."

Fallon and five others are accused of plotting to make 27 horses lose in order to win money on bets.

But the prosecution say he ended up owing the crooked betting syndicate money because he won five of his 17 races.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said: "The very fact that a man described as the greatest jockey of his generation ends up unable to help winning when he is trying to lose is simply ridiculous."

Fallon had, in fact, won more races - an average 29.4% - during the time of the alleged conspiracy, than the 19% he normally averaged.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said this meant Fallon's winning rides were 150 times higher "when he was trying to lose than when he was trying to win".

It alleged that the six defendants were involved in a conspiracy with others between December 2002 and September 2004 to defraud Betfair customers and other punters.

Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland, Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire, deny the charges.

Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast, former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire, and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, also plead not guilty.

Rodgers also denies concealing the proceeds of crime. All the defendants are on bail.

The quotes in that piece make it look as though Kelsey-Fry is working for the prosecution, although I presume that this is just poor reporting.

Yeah, it's a bit slapdash. I expect it'll be updated, added to and re-edited by this evening.

As expected:

Fallon 'driven by desire to win'

by Shenai Raif

THE suggestion that Kieren Fallon was deliberately trying to lose raceswas "simply ridiculous", a betting scam trial was told on Wednesday.

Fallon was six times champion jockey and a man "driven to win", said his barrister, John Kelsey-Fry QC.

Fallon listened a few feet away as Mr Kelsey-Fry told a jury at the Old Bailey: "He is a man driven by the desire to win."

Fallon and five others are accused of plotting to make 27 horses lose in order to win money on bets.

But the prosecution say he ended up owing the crooked betting syndicate money because he won five of his 17 races.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said: "The very fact that a man described as the greatest jockey of his generation ends up unable to help winning when he is trying to lose is simply ridiculous."

Fallon had, in fact, won more races - an average 29.4% - during the time of the alleged conspiracy, than the 19% he normally averaged.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said this meant Fallon's winning rate was higher "when he was trying to lose than when he was trying to win".

It alleged that the six defendants wereinvolved in a conspiracy with others between December 2002 and September 2004 to defraud Betfair customers and other punters.

Fallon, 42, formerly of Newmarket, Cambridgeshire, but now of Tipperary, Ireland, Fergal Lynch, 29, of Boroughbridge, North Yorkshire, and Darren Williams, 29, of Leyburn, North Yorkshire, deny the charges.

Shaun Lynch, 37, of Belfast, former racing syndicate director Miles Rodgers, 38, of Silkstone, South Yorkshire, and Philip Sherkle, 42, of Tamworth, Staffordshire, alsoplead not guilty.

Rodgers also denies concealing the proceeds of crime. All the defendants are on bail.

The defendants in the case have been allowed to sit next to their lawyers in the well of the court during the rest of the trial.

Mr Kelsey-Fry was addressing the jury after the judge invited defence counsel to make a speech following the prosecution opening of the case.

Fallon and the two other jockeys, Fergal Lynch and Williams, are alleged to have passed on information to syndicate boss Rodgers that their rides would lose.

Fallon is alleged to have used intermediaries to pass on information but Mr Kelsey-Fry said he was only talking to friends about races.

He said: "Nothing wrong with that. If you're champion jockey six times, you will find, you readily accept, the whole world wanting to know your opinions about every horserace there is.

"You will hear evidence demonstrating that Mr Fallon was content to do so to any number of such people."

Mr Kelsey-Fry said Fallon had even been asked for his opinion in a BBC interview before he rode in the Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe in France at the weekend.

He won on Dylan Thomas but had fancied another horse, Soldier Of Fortune, because of the soft ground.

Mr Kelsey-Fry said the prosecution case showed "signs of desperation".

Earlier, Peter Kelson QC, for Rodgers, told the jurors that there were factors in the prosecution which would cause them anxiety.

The officer in charge of the inquiry, and who is soon to retire, had been offered a job with the Jockey Club which had originally called in police to make an independent investigation.

Mr Kelson said: "We submit that this matter goes to the root of impartiality in this matter."

He said Rodgers was a professional and prolific gambler who had not done anything illegal.

He had openly "boasted" of his contacts and made no secret of the fact that he relied on tips.

The trial was adjourned until Thursday.

Very little to do with the case but I was at St Paul's tube station with Mrs Stodge this evening and saw David Ashforth buying a ticket.

THis should be "safe" in terms of issues of sub judice etc, etc :D

I've read everything I can find on the case. It will get very interesting when the defence put forward their evidence.

Originally posted by Gearoid@Oct 10 2007, 09:33 PM
I've read everything I can find on the case. It will get very interesting when the defence put forward their evidence.
your right, and even better at cross examination.

with regards to liable. what can actually happen if someone was to say something otu of turn? can we be arrested??

The owner/controllers of the board could be held in contempt of court and then sued civilly for defamation subsequently.

Has this ever happened on a forum of this size. Are there 50 active members??

I dont advocate complete laissez faire but if those posting show some common sense, then I think forums of this size are safe.

I said could Garney. It has a much chance of happening as a fish riding a bicycle or Dom prostesting against fox hunting.

But it only takes three people to create a libel.

0702newdesign.jpg

absolutley An Capall. Much prefer this forum's brave new attitude compared to the Ancien Regieme where merely mentioning Kieran Fallon would inevitably have led the forum into a court case, brought a plague of locusts on the moderators houses, taken the first born son from each of the forums contributors, and the thread to disappear.

just reading about rodgers betfair activity. courtesy of ATR.
January 2002 to August 2004;

total bets = 8,217.
total risked = £14,942,732
potential winnings = £8.043 million
actual profits +£169,028

i wonder what betfair will do with their % of commision made on this??

Back