King George Chase

Sorry to hear that EC - hope you feel better soon.

Jesus. Even I can't defend those RPRs any more...

cheers Gareth..on the mend now

there always seems to be one horse that seems to throw a spanner in the works re ratings isn't there?

we had a similar scenario with the Tingle Creek I think it was...and a number of other races recently

IF AR has not improved then the KG in ratings terms is below average...maybe it was

maybe its just that every now and then a horse will run way above any previous rating ..and maybe never run to that level again

how does anyone make sense of AR's run?..improved...run to his normal level...put in a once a lifetime????

does seem a lot

also..if he had improved that much I can't see him going off at 25/1....someone would have been nibbling

also..if he has improved so much how come he went off at 8/1 when in a handicap off 155 previously?..surely would have been a lot shorter as those in the know..had a real snip running.

I don't pay much attention to Rpr but I think Albertas is underated generally. I will be backing him e/w for the GC especially if the ground is good. I fancy him to come home in front of Kauto, Neptune and Exotic but not a fit Denman so if you want my money lay him on betfair.

When Kauto smashed Our Vic in the King George last year, how many thought that Our Vic would beat him before the season was out?

When Kauto smashed Our Vic in the King George last year, how many thought that Our Vic would beat him before the season was out?

Something was amiss with Kauto Star then, I dont think anyone is suggesting that AR cannot reverse form if KS can only produce his Aintree type form.

I'll leave it up to Sheikh to clarify, but I thought it was implicit in his comment that he expects Kauto to under-perform at Cheltenham. Hardly a controversial opinion - plenty think he's never run to his best there.

I'll leave it up to Sheikh to clarify, but I thought it was implicit in his comment that he expects Kauto to under-perform at Cheltenham. Hardly a controversial opinion - plenty think he's never run to his best there.

Correct, and the real Denman still needs to turn up.Good ground and the extra distance will see more improvement from Albertas.

Excuse for Air Force One :

Torn muscles to blame for poor Air Force show

By Rodney Masters9.17AM 30 DEC 2008
A REASON has come to light for Air Force One's poor performance in the Stan James King George VI Chase at Kempton, where he was sent off third favourite but was beaten 40 lengths by winner Kauto Star.
The Charlie Mann-trained Hennessy Gold Cup runner-up was lame when taken out of his box the following morning, and a later examination revealed torn muscles across his back. He is now undergoing an intensive course of physiotherapy.

Mann said on Tuesday: "Unfortunately Air Force One is lame. At this stage I'm not sure when he'll be back on a racecourse because it will depend on how he responds to treatment.
"I believe he may have wrenched themuscles when making a mistake at the second fence because from then on he was never jumping or travelling with his normal fluency."
Noel Fehily, the horse's regular jockey who had to miss the Kempton ride due to a cracked collarbone received in a fall at Fontwell, said on Tuesday that he was hopeful of a return to the saddle in the middle of next week.

I think many are underestimating Albertas Run. He came off 2 poor displays on ground he patently didn't handle. He was never happy in the Hennessey whereas at Kempton he was striding out far better. I think he'l improve again come March providing the ground is on the good side and the extra 2f round a stiffer track will also suit. I'm not saying he'll beat either KS or Denman if both at the top of their game but if they aren't then he's a pretty good bet to me.

Back