King George Chase

Seems a funny one, possibly worried about the leg on firmer ground.

Well they obviously think he can win the Gold Cup, and thus he can beat Kauto Star.

However I don't think that anyone thinks beating an on form Kauto would be anything less than extremely hard work.

Why risk leaving that performance behind in the King George?

Winning a big Grade One in Ireland will be no small feat with a horse that many of us feared we had seen the last of at this level.

And if it sets him up for the big one... all the better.

I previously believed he wouldn't get his ground at Leop, that is why I thought he would run at Kempton. It now appears that he may get his ground.

I thought he lost at Haydock because he was going left-handed? Now he was unfit too?

The the track is too tight for him (though bizarrely not for Denman)...

Kauto Star might well win the King George by 10 lengths but it will not be for any of the reasons mentioned on this thread. If he wins it, it will be because he has simply returned to form or is in the right mood.

His trainer (who refreshingly speaks his mind) would be better off admitting that he does not know why the horse has disappointed at Cheltenham, Aintree, and Haydock rather than blaming the ground, track, timing of the race etc. He is just guessing...

All in my opinion of course!

Agree with you Gal about Nicholls...He likes to blame a bad performance on a lot of things....80% of the time though will be solved by a wind op!

King George

While it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Kauto justified the odds, I've preferred to side with VPU, who I think this will suit very well. I'm also expecting Air Force One to run a very big race and we should not ignore Our Vic. Snoopy Loopy has a squeak, but I don't really want this one. Could be a decent sort of race. I'd quite like Kauto to win for a third time (he had the stuffing knocked out of him last time by being ridden into the wing, so I wouldn't be put off by that). However VPU is not far behind him on Kauto's best form and posted his best rating to date when slamming Master Minded at Aintree. The race will suit VPU and I reckon he'll take the beating.

I'm sure that's right. Pros and public alike will likely figure that VPU is where the value resides.

Ladbrokes have gone 11/8. Only 2.32 on Betfair to lay. Some firm will go 6/4.

Value?

Last edited:
2.34 to back 2.36 to lay. It's going to take some money just to get it to 2.52 on Betfair.

Cannot oppose KS lighly and I think VPU is the worst value in the race so I`ll be going in win and place on Air Force One who seems to have his optimum conditions.

Easy enough for Kauto there - grand run from Alberta's too, didn't think 3m on a speed track would suit him so has to be in the shake up for the "big price placed horse" in March.

Back