Getaway 7
Duke of Marmalade 8
Tartan Bearer 8
Ask 13
Youmzain 21
Doctor Dino 21
Peeping Fawn 23
Macarthur 28

Thoughts? I`d be surprised if New Approach turns up and with fast ground a real possibility i`d be against SoF.

I`ve backed Youmzain with a view to trading when the field cuts up. Would love to see Peeping Fawn turn up but they aren`t queueing up to back her on Betfair.

I would think Macarthur is an unlikely runner and I think I remember reading Doctor Dino was due to go for this. He should certainly get his preferred fast ground anyway.

Macarthur appears to be following the Scorpion route, so he could go for it and help make it a test for SoF?

I get the impression the most important race for Soldier Of Fortune this year is the Arc. I know Dylan Thomas won both last year but he was such a brute of a horse he was able for the campaign. Would not surprise me to see SOF skip this and be aimed at the Juddmonte and Arc.

I would love to see Duke Of Marmalade go for this.

And if DoM went for it, they probably wouldn't have a problem with a slowly run race.

Look quite a weak renewal in prospect.

I was hoping Ask would be a big bigger than 12/1, but I suppose that's a fair price.

Originally posted by trackside528@Jun 23 2008, 04:57 PM

I was hoping Ask would be a big bigger than 12/1, but I suppose that's a fair price.
Awful rather than fair. Youmzain is a half stone at least superior.

Arrgggghhhh, what is the obsession people on here have with bloody Youmzain??? Worse than that, the eternal notion that he's overpriced for every race he rus in, which he inevitably goes on to not win!!

Originally posted by Galileo@Jun 23 2008, 08:31 PM
Soldier Of Fortune and Getaway clash again on Sunday in France.
That sounds like a damn good race in the making. I think Doctor Dino was going for that too.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 23 2008, 09:44 PM
Arrgggghhhh, what is the obsession people on here have with bloody Youmzain??? Worse than that, the eternal notion that he's overpriced for every race he rus in, which he inevitably goes on to not win!!
66/1 place in the Arc was as good as a win.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 23 2008, 09:44 PM
I said to myself after the Coronation Cup that he was going to win a big one this year. All he needs is to be given a better ride in one of these contests, just a little closer up will do.

The King George is a race in decline. Without a sponsor, it is on its way to becoming a British equivalent of the Grand Prix de Saint Cloud. It used to be the supreme inter-generational test for UK and Irish horses, for whom the Arc was an afterthought, but not any more. Nowadays the prize money and international appeal of the Arc dwarf the King George.

Older horses and the classic generation do not meet as often as before, in spite of there being more older horses around. The concentration of the best horses in just a few yards means that the all aged races have, apart from the Arc, been reserved for the older brigade while the younger generation go after the classics.

The fact the first six home at Epsom might all re-oppose at The Curragh, with no French involvement in either race, says it all.

I just have it in my mind that Youmzain is a better horse in the autumn for some reason. If he wins a big one, I have a hard time believing it will be on fast ground either- though there is no guarantee it will be summer fast at Ascot, of course.

Duke Of Marmalade runs in the King George. Must be every chance now they will give Soldier Of Fortune a break (after Sunday) until the Juddmonte and then the Arc.

Originally posted by Sheikh@Jun 24 2008, 08:41 AM
He runs like he will stay but he's not bred to.
Not bred to get it that well, but there is enough stamina in his pedigree to give him a fighting chance. Whats more his style of racing and attitude will give him every chance to get the trip. I would be pretty confident about his chances.

I realise the place part of 66/1 was bigger than a lot of wins, but that's about all he's delivered really - you're not going to get much return on a place at 15/2, are you? Seemingly every time a big race comes about the old "can't understand why Youmzain's such a massive price" rears it's head - it's possibly because he hasn't won in nearly 2 years and although he's been placed a few times he hasn't realistically looked like he's up to winning the types of races he's always campaigned in.

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 24 2008, 11:20 AM
and although he's been placed a few times he hasn't realistically looked like he's up to winning the types of races he's always campaigned in.
You cannot seriously suggest he didn`t look like winning the Arc. My heart was in my mouth when i saw him make his challenge.

Back