King George VI And QE Stakes

Originally posted by Shadow Leader@Jun 24 2008, 10:43 PM
Of course since I've said all this Youmzain'll finally win, the bugger!
:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Yes and she will know we are only pulling the leg

I wouldn't put the King George past him anyway with that under his girth, and a really strong pace as he seemed to get today

Well he's third fav on Betfair now - behind an injured horse and a possibly doubtful stayer.

Edit: Make that 4th fav, with Frozen Fire hiding down the bottom of the list. Doubt he'll run in it though.

Great credit too to Channon for keeping a 5yr old entire in such good heart
He'd already won over a million before today's race. Great to see perseverance rewarded

I would give the credit to the horse, being able to win a group 1 race being trained by such an inept.

A bit harsh there, you two, surely.

Channon isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has plenty of winners with some rather ordinary horses.

Inept, in my opinion, is not the right word.

Originally posted by Colin Phillips@Jun 29 2008, 06:21 PM
A bit harsh there, you two, surely.

Channon isn't everyone's cup of tea but he has plenty of winners with some rather ordinary horses.

Inept, in my opinion, is not the right word.
Agree Colin

Inept trainers do not win £6,821,012.07 in prize money in 5 years imo

Originally posted by Charlie D+Jun 24 2008, 09:44 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Charlie D @ Jun 24 2008, 09:44 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Euronymous@Jun 23 2008, 12:30 PM

Thoughts? I`d be surprised if New Approach turns up and with fast ground a real possibility i`d be against SoF.

Just a query Euro

Can you explain why your against SoF, he is the best horse in race imo [/b][/quote]
This isn`t after-timing, it`s the first time i`ve read Charlie`s post. The likely fast ground and Ascot`s short straight are against SoF. I also think the latter reason applies to Youmzain as well.

Ladbrokes have opened their betting for this race and they go the shortest about Duke Of Marmalade and are not quoting Soldier Of Fortune.

Duke Of Marmalade evens
New Approach 5/1
Youmzain 5/1
Macarthur 10/1
Papal Bull 10/1
Tartan Bearer 10/1
Geordieland 20/1
Saddex 20/1

Youmzain just won the race described as a 'Mini Arc'. He not only won it but cruised up on the bridle before (imo) idling in front, winning a shade cosily in the end.

Duke of Marmalade beat horses who struggle to win Group 3's at Ascot, and has never raced over this distance and isn't bred to appreciate it.

Youmzain at 5/1 is like Xmas.

Nothing in behind to be fearful of though Saddex is overpriced at 20s.

From the Racing Post site :

Tony O'Hehir

DUKE OF MARMALADE was on Sunday trimmed to evens (from 5-4) by Coral after Aidan O'Brien confirmed that both the Prince of Wales's Stakes winner and stablemate Macarthur will represent him in the King George at Ascot in 19 days time with Soldier Of Fortune, who had been as short as 9-2 with Betfred, to be aimed at an autumn campaign instead.

A triple Group 1 winner this year, Duke Of Marmalade's reputation was further boosted by the performances of Phoenix Tower and Pipedreamer, whom he beat in the Prince of Wales's Stakes, in the Coral Eclipse Stakes at Sandown on Saturday when they finished second and third respectively behind Mount Nelson.

O'Brien said: "Soldier Of Fortune probably won't run in the King George. We're looking at keeping for an autumn campaign instead. Duke Of Marmalade and Macarthur are the two we have in mind for Ascot."

Macarthur contributed to O'Brien's tally of six winners at Royal Ascot last month when he landed the Hardwicke Stakes and with the trainer's team continuing in such a rich vein of form Coral were not surprised that the cash came for the King George favourite on Sunday.

Spokesman David Stevens said: “Ballydoyle have carried all before them at the highest level this season, and after stablemate Mount Nelson's victory in the Coral-Eclipse, it was no surprise that Duke Of Marmalade attracted support for the King George.”

Ask was the other market mover for the Ascot Group 1 on Sunday, with Ladbrokes and Skybet both cutting the Sir Michael Stoute-trained five-year-old to 10-1 (from 14), while VCbet went the same price (from 16).

Ladbrokes spokesman David Williams said: "Ask is one of only a handful of horses who seems certain to line up for the King George. He may not be good enough to win the race but punters have taken the each-way value in the hope that the field cuts up."

Ladbrokes spokesman David Williams said: "Ask is one of only a handful of horses who seems certain to line up for the King George. He may not be good enough to win the race but punters have taken the each-way value in the hope that the field cuts up."

Gotta hope a host of Group 2 wallahs turn up for this like they did for the Eclipse and at least give the contest a chance of a reasonable pace.

I thought Ask ran a cracker in the Prince of Wales's Stakes considering the trip was wholly inadequate. With a return to 12f likely to suit well, he's going to be no bigger than a 6/1 shot on the day.

Remains horses left in after todays stage:
Ask
Duke of Marmalade (IRE)
Happy Boy (BRZ)
Literato (FR)
Lucarno (USA
Macarthur
Mount Nelson
Papal Bull
Petara Bay (IRE)
Red Rock Canyon (IRE)
Sagara (USA)
Youmzain (IRE)
Alessandro Volta
Bashkirov
Campanologist (USA)
King of Rome (IRE)
Moonstone

Last edited:
Sad that Tartan Bearer was pulled the trip suits him well, although I can see why they pulled it with Golan needing time after races and seeing how Ballydoyle again have so many horses in that tactis would come into play., I think it is wrong aiming him for the Leger and I hope they send him to the Arc where the trip will do him justice. Sad that O Brien needs like 50,000 horses in there with such a bad rating.

Sad that Tartan Bearer was pulled the trip suits him well, although I can see why they pulled it with Golan needing time after races and seeing how Ballydoyle again have so many horses in that tactis would come into play., I think it is wrong aiming him for the Leger and I hope they send him to the Arc where the trip will do him justice. Sad that O Brien needs like 50,000 horses in there with such a bad rating.
Yes, people are really missing Group 1 races because they are afraid of being killed by Ballydoyle pacemakers; can we put this nonsense to bed once and for all?

So, where is the opposition to the front two comng from. I`ve covered on DoM as i don`t really see any (Ask doesn`t count - Group2 animal at best)

Youmzain a good thing based on last declaration stage. No one else has any form to get close.

Back