King George VI And Queen Elizabeth Stakes 2023

If there was anything suspicious done it took a while to kick in as he was lively in the pre parade and we were standing right near box 1, or Coolmore Corner as known apparently as they always use that box. The Coolmore horses all came in together and Adian said for AR to be last one saddled as he can be ' a bit of an idiot'. ( I wondered if that was the nearest he got to swearing?? ) They did leave it very last minute to saddle him, only walking round with one lad there but was on his toes. I wouldn't think they'd leave their horses alone for anyone to get to them. I would have also thought the racecourse vets would have wanted to take a sample as he was so poor? My vet is one of the racecourse vets, one from the practice coming out tomorrow morning to my muppet, I'll ask if that would have been done? So many people in the pre parade and paddock though nothing to do with any of the runners, the people there working the gates have no clue whatsoever, would only take a pat I guess to do something to him if clever enough.

I would imagine he’d certainly have been tested for such a disappointing run. If not I’m sure AOB would have asked for him to be tested....I would have done. He may have had a physical reason such as muscular....one of mine jumped slightly awkwardly out of the stalls at Newcastle one day and badly pulled a muscle. Came back tailed off and could hardly walk. We had to give her IV painkillers and she was OK after some extensive physio when we got her home.

O’Brien reported Auguste Rodin “a bit stiff and sore” on Sunday and said the colt will be given time to get over the weekend.

Asked about potential plans for the son of Deep Impact, he replied: “Hopefully, in time he’ll be fine. Maybe in a few weeks [decision about a next race] and we’ll see how he is. Leopardstown would be a possibility, but it’s way too early to say yet.”

Always looked like a proper test was on the cards and that was how it played out. Westover got his wish but the winner has pace and stays too.

Cracking run from the 3rd. Looked up against it stamina wise but a great run though.

My vet said they can swerve the racecourse vets if they want to and most of the time do. I would think he's pulled/strained something, especially the way Ryan seemed to be indicating on the walk in.

Hukum now rated 1lb better than Nijinsky in his prime.
Believe that and you'll swallow anything.:nono:

Whose ratings, reet?

His new OR is 128, which is pretty modest next to a lot of the 'greats' and there were no ORs back in Nijinsky's day.

I'd always thought Timeform had Nijinsky around 137? I can't see them having Hukum anywhere near that.

(Still, it's nice to know ORs have finally caught up with me as far as Hukum is concerned :p)

Aye,Timeform did rate him 137; won the KG like the dancer he was named after.
Hukum like he was pulling a brewer's dray.:lol:

I don't understand reet, TF have Hukum on 131 now. Perfectly fair.

Yes, TF's ratings at the top end are a ball-park average 5lbs above mine so 131 seems entirely fair. I had Hukum on 127 going into the KG. I won't get a chance to assess the KG until I get some kind of hiatus in my Goodwood studies but will stick it up on this thread when I do.

O’Brien reported Auguste Rodin “a bit stiff and sore” on Sunday and said the colt will be given time to get over the weekend.

Asked about potential plans for the son of Deep Impact, he replied: “Hopefully, in time he’ll be fine. Maybe in a few weeks [decision about a next race] and we’ll see how he is. Leopardstown would be a possibility, but it’s way too early to say yet.”

I was a big fan of Saxon Warrior as a racehorse -I thought he was a triple crown winner but he put in some disappointing runs for a horse of his calibre.
In subsequent years my eye has always been drawn to progeny of Deep Impact -one thing I've noticed is how disappointing they can be and how rarely they run up a sequence.

Back