King George

Time of the last race suggests the straight course is no quicker than good, and the number of fast ground horses withdrawn from the last 2 would support that view. This morning's g/s readings suggest the round course is slightly slower.
Unless we get an early fix on what the ground is proper, tomorrow's meeting's screwed as betting propostion, imho.

straight dries quick though Reet..any more rain forecast?

first race today indicated very quick..they then had 3mm of rain and it changed to good...seems a very fragile track...doesn't take much to soften it up....i'll bet he's watered more than that in the past

From Turftrax:
Watering: Watered Straight Course 10mm Monday. Watered Round course 4mm Mon, Tues and Wed night. Watered Straight again Wednesday 10mm.
According to the RP, a further 8mm fell from the sky yesterday afternoon.
Good news for Eagle Top supporters, bad news for Telescope, Magician, Trading Leather, and the form book generally.
I'll stick to York today, with an eye on the Ascot ground for tomorrow.

I reckon any mentioned of soft will be removed from the going description during the day until the showers arrive later. The going will hopefully be fair to all but that was a lot of water. Was it mentioned much in the RP during the week? I usually keep an eye on the BHA site for updates but have been distracted most of the week between trying to take advantage of the weather and the Commonwealth Games.

http://www.metcheck.com/UK/today.asp?zipcode=Ascot&locationID=57936&lat=51.4&lon=-0.7&findtype=

the first race time was very quick though, a maiden race that beat the juvenile record is swift...so if no rain had come then his watering throughout the week was correct..but his estimation of how much fell yesterday was wrong..he said 3mm:whistle:

the sprint at the end of yesterday showed the ground slow end of Good in the straight..so without any further rain it will be good today..but showers are predicted..which will make it good to soft...is that really going to suit either of Gosden's?

Last edited:
Watching the morning line it's cracking the flags. Should be nice and fast.

I remember George Washington winning the QEII despite heavy showers supposedly softening the ground the previous day.

Can I ask lads, why is all the talk on Eagle Top that he needed rain? Was the ground not Good to Firm when he won the last day over 12F ?

Can I ask lads, why is all the talk on Eagle Top that he needed rain? Was the ground not Good to Firm when he won the last day over 12F ?

it depends what you mean by Good to Firm...a description that is too general in reality

when Eagle Rock won at Ascot..the ground was riding 20lb per mile faster than middle Good...Buick said he didn't want it faster...so knowing that figure is worthwhile. If it hadn't rained yesterday the first race time indicated something like 40lb per mile fast ...which would have been too quick for ER...according to Buick But both descriptions come under the official heading Good/Firm ..but are two different surfaces in reality.

Last edited:
I think it was just an out for his trainer pulling him.

i actually don't think it was..i think Buick got off last time and said its plenty fast enough for him..so yes i can understand why they had doubts...i would have waited until the day though to say it..because you can have rain..too much hosepipe etc before the actual race.

if i were a trainer i'd have someone assess the ground by the clock on the day..seeing as we are talking £1000s worth of decisions it would seem foolish not to

Are you offering your services, EC?:)

for a fee:)

i'm sure there are some trainers who probably do keep records of the true ground speed their horses run best on. I know from watching a feature on Mark Prescott that he keeps a hand written card index system on all his horses. Its not even hard to keep a record like that.

i'd be a very anal trainer:)..but Mark Prescott is..and look how shrewd a trainer he is.

I found deciphering this KG fiendishly tricky and think it's the most fascinaing for years, the connections of all the runners bar the pacesetter and probably Mukhadram must fancy their chances. I personally cashed out before Taghrooda was declared and was satisfied with a couple of points of profit so no big write up here, but for what it's worth I think the two to stay on the right side of are Telescope and Trading Leather and I'm more sceptical of Eagle Top's chances than the general consensus, but whoever you fancy (unless it's Taghrooda), if you must have a bet my tip is somehow get your money on at a Ladbrokes in Ireland and get best odds guaranteed and your money back if your selection finishes 2nd to the filly.

Good Luck All

Telescope has run badly on both occasions he has encountered soft ground. Whether he hadn't quite come to himself or it was down to the ground is an unknown factor which should see him drift in the market.

I wouldn't have a clue how the filly will react but Eagle Top will most likely benefit from it. Buick's probably been rubbing his hands all morning thinking this will be his day..I had a saver on but having a bit more on which will give me 6/4 against the field.

The Irish horses certainly won't mind it which will see more than a few backing the O'Brien horse and Bolger's first string could spring a surprise.

I just hope it dries out sufficiently not to affect any of the horses too badly and we see a good race.

g/l all

Telescope has run badly on both occasions he has encountered soft ground. Whether he hadn't quite come to himself or it was down to the ground is an unknown factor which should see him drift in the market.

I wouldn't have a clue how the filly will react but Eagle Top will most likely benefit from it. Buick's probably been rubbing his hands all morning thinking this will be his day..I had a saver on but having a bit more on which will give me 6/4 against the field.

The Irish horses certainly won't mind it which will see more than a few backing the O'Brien horse and Bolger's first string could spring a surprise.

I just hope it dries out sufficiently not to affect any of the horses too badly and we see a good race.

g/l all

You may well be right, I think it's possible to make a convincing argument for nearly all the runners, but personally I didn't think Telescope ran all that bad in the 2 soft ground races as I'm of the opinion that Noble Mission this year is the best 10f soft ground horse around and remove him and he beat the rest convincingly and I think today will be faster ground conditions than either of those races. I agree Eagle Top was visually very impressive at Ascot and ran green enough to think he'll improve quite a bit and connections must be confident of a good run to shell out the entry fee, but I remember thinking before the race what a poor gp2 it was and while he has clearly inherited his stamina from his dams side, is the price on offer value as I believe a Pivotal offspring has never won a 12f Gp1 and this one does look very competitive (though his sister ran well in the Oaks and Saint Baudolino came close a couple of years ago in France), but is his form really better than Magicians or 2x better than Trading Leather or even 6x better than Romsdal ?

Personally, I'm hoping to witness a Dahlia-esque performance from Taghrooda, but I do think as the race unfolds from the 2f pole Trading Leather will be the one the big finishers are trying to gun down and I don't think all that many will pass him, but I suspect Telescope may well be one who will.

A cracking analysis, Ajdal. I'm warming to Trading Leather.

Last edited:
Sariska has won a Group 1

Twice... Forgot about her - Good one EC1.

I'm finding that a dilema when posting in this forum as I don't want to put anyone off backing a horse, if you fancy him then back him, it's just in my opinion he's short enough on what he's achieved, but if you've backed him, I hope he wins for you.

Last edited:
Twice... Forgot about her - Good one EC1.

I'm finding that a dilema when posting in this forum as I don't want to put anyone off backing a horse, if you fancy him then back him, it's just in my opinion he's short enough on what he's achieved, but if you've backed him, I hope he wins for you.

You must post with the intention of putting people off Ajdal:)

just keep posting as you do..more often preferably

Back