King George

looking at the weather..it looks like being fast ground Reet..which will mean watering:blink:

eagle top wouldn't want lighting fast according to buick

I'm not sure that he wouldn’t want the ground very quick but Friday’s conditions were absolutely fine

the ground at ascot was 20lb per mile fast...so if its faster than that i'll lay my bet off

Last edited:
its clear to me that taghrooda is a shot in the dark..and ET is the serious challenger

if taghrooda is "burning up the gallops"..why shell out 75k against her?..it makes no sense

she will probably also.."look a picture in the paddock"..another old adage

Taghrooda is running at the owners insistence which is very sporting in my opinion.You might be getting carried away with your belief that ET is the serious challenger from the stable-after winning at the Royal meeting it probably makes sense to run here-if he isn't good enough there is always the Leger .

Probably only the fillies' allowance between ET and Tag right now; both open to more improvement but would suspect more so the former. Anyone who watched the Gosden interview post his Ascot win knows how much they think of him. At the prices I'd happily have him and Magician ahead of the front two. Nice betting heat.

Taghrooda hasn't been in a position to record a fast time yet..but on my figures Eagle Top put in a 125 on only his third run..she will have to be good to beat him..very good

Last edited:
Were many of you boys on Nathaniel in 2011?
And do you think there are many similarities between them apart from winning at royal ascot?
I was on Rewilding,bless him.

Amazing that people are trying to pigeon-hole Taghrooda as needing certain conditions. She's had just the 3 races to date and impressed in each of them.

I love her, have done since her debut, but even her biggest fans can't fancy her at 5/2.

To add more spice to the Gosden mix Romsdal the gallant Derby third is still entered too .

Amazing that people are trying to pigeon-hole Taghrooda as needing certain conditions. She's had just the 3 races to date and impressed in each of them.

I love her, have done since her debut, but even her biggest fans can't fancy her at 5/2.

Equally amazed that anyone should price up a race without consideration of the likely suitability of its circumstances. :)

I'd look further into the breeding DJ, there is more than just form to look at. Agree that 5/2 is a joke, Eswarah was 9/1 with a similar chance on the form.

Probably only the fillies' allowance between ET and Tag right now; both open to more improvement but would suspect more so the former. Anyone who watched the Gosden interview post his Ascot win knows how much they think of him. At the prices I'd happily have him and Magician ahead of the front two. Nice betting heat.

Spot on, couldn't have put it better myself. Gosden was visibly very excited post race at Ascot, more than I've ever seen him. The horse gagged up in a very strong time and has bags of room for improvement. He's a max bet at 8, the more I look at it.

If Gosden works Taghrooda with Eagle Top at home, I'll eat my hat. Gallop info has to be the biggest nonsense going in this game (and there are plenty of candidates).

And Segal seemed pretty certain that Magician was using Ascot merely as a stepping stone to something bigger.

I'd be surprised if magician wasn't there for the win DO at Ascot..what does Segal base that judgement on?

He didn't say. He mentioned it in his Weekender column after Ascot. Something along the lines of he was pretty certain Magician wasn't there to bust a gut. I've binned the paper. I don't keep anything other than the results and new official weights adjustments.

Magician ran against Noble Mission at The Curragh in conditions he hated to do a favour for Irish racing-that race was in danger of losing its Group1 status.In that context he might have had an easy at Ascot but I wouldn't put too much emphasis on it.

Spot on, couldn't have put it better myself. Gosden was visibly very excited post race at Ascot, more than I've ever seen him. The horse gagged up in a very strong time and has bags of room for improvement. He's a max bet at 8, the more I look at it.

If Gosden works Taghrooda with Eagle Top at home, I'll eat my hat. Gallop info has to be the biggest nonsense going in this game (and there are plenty of candidates).

In these kind of races perhaps you are right but not all. I've ridden my fare share of horses on the gallops in my younger days and watched hundreds of horses work.

It not difficult to separate the mutton from the lamb and at least you have a good idea when something is totally useless por unfit.

When it comes down to it I miss that side of racing and it leaves you pretty much dependant on guessing if horses are fit or using the betting as a guide.

Surely he more info you have in racing the better...........wish I had a $ for every horse who has worked like a pig that I backed not knowing.

I'd hate to be John Gosden. It wasn't his idea to run the filly, I wonder what his majesty will say if Eagle Top beats the filly by a short head into second,,,,probably not a lot cos he doesn't need the dosh but if she was mines I wouldn't be too happy as I could do with an extra few million a year coming in:lol:

Last edited:
A great race in prospect.
That Bolger and Ballydoyle have pacemakers entered adds to the spice.
A make or break race for Trading Leather.
Magician may not be at his best over 12f, notwithstanding his BC Turf win.
Would Gosden have run The Fugue were she not injured or was she even entered ?
He has some bullets to fire for the season all going well.
Fabre's horse needs quick ground which he had not at Epsom; the 2f to 1f area was a little dead for him so no bad run in the circumstances.
Noble Mission and Brown Panther connections hoping for a thunder storm for a repeat of 1997 when Swain struck at 16/1 ahead of Pidsulski, Hellessio et al. Some race that was.
On fast ground the horse with the best finishing kick wins this race but which one ?
With rain expect a shock of Windemere proportions !

Last edited:
I don't think any rain is expected.

Telescope is 5/2 on Betfair now and that's worth taking as a saver.

I don't like either of the Gosden horses at the prices, the Oaks roll of honour is full of 119/120 fillies who slammed a poor field at Epsom. Eagle Top essentially had little to beat at Ascot and it is crazy that he's the same price as Magician.

Other than Australia and Sea The Moon, who is really missing from this DO?

Cirrus injured. Winners of two major RA stepping stones for this here, Oaks winner, Eclipse winner etc.

Think there are a few with potential to hit a very high mark in this.

Add in Breeders Cup Turf and Irish Guineas winner. GP de Paris winner.

On top of:
An unbeaten, impressive Oaks winner
A very impressive RA winner
A Hardwick Stakes winner as impressive as you like, looking like he could win an average to good King George
The Eclipse winner
The Derby third
A major Group 1 yardstick

What an utterly clueless comment. :rolleyes:

Looks like there are 5 Group 1 winners in the field. With two others (Eagle Top and Telescope) who look very likely to win Group 1's. And Romsdal is no slouch either.

Why wouldn't Eagle Top, Romsdal or Taghrooda improve half a stone. Many 3yo's do on their 4th run (5th for Romsdal).

I would say it is a fine field.

Other than Australia and Sea The Moon, who is really missing from this DO?

Well that's two for a start!! Add in Treve. Add in the Japanese horses.

The Fugue (ok the trip might have been a problem).

But that isn't the point I was making. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

This is not just a Group 1. It is meant to be the midsummer world 12f championship race. To be a proper G1 horse you need - on my figures - to be able to run to 126 (123 fillies & mares) just to get a mention.

A very generous reading of Telescope's win last time might get in there. I just have my doubts about that. And he looks the best in the race. Forget what big race winners are there. It's a question of how good they are. This, to my eyes, is a long way off a proper G1 race. They're all much of a muchness, hence the 'handicap' quip.

Maybe I just can't help it if I set high standards...

Last edited:
Back