Leopardstown Christmas Festival

Guest_

At the Start
First couple of day's entries are out shortly. In the meantime anyone going racing over the Christmas in Ireland should note the following promotion:

FREE Entry to Leopardstown & Limerick Festivals

Leopardstown Christmas Festival
Limerick
FREE entry to day three of the Christmas Festival, Tuesday 28th

First race to Post at 12.35pm
The 2010 four day Guinness Christmas Festival starts on the Sunday 26th of December and runs until Wednesday 29th of December. Great racing, great fun, great food and entertainment is all guaranteed at the Limerick Races four day Guinness Christmas Festival. Live action starts at 12.35pm each day at Greenmount Park. Large screen viewing of the racing action on course, Leopardstown and Kempton Park.

Leopardstown - Wednesday 29th

FREE entry to the final day of the Christmas Festival, Wednesday 29th
All Tote Go Racing members Receive FREE entry into the last day of the Leopardstown Christmas Festival!
Some will say the best is saved to last, others will claim that the Leopardstown Golf Centre December Festival Hurdle is the fine wine to polish off the lavish main course, but whatever way you want to put it, there is no getting away from the excitement of this Grade 1 hurdle over 2 miles.
Gates Open at 10.30am
Please note start times are subject to change.
For further information visit www.totegoracingclub.com

Paddy Power Dial-A-Bet Chase
Sponsors: 6-4 Big Zeb, 9-4 Golden Silver, 11-4 Captain Cee Bee, 8 J'y Vole, 20 Scotsirish, 25 Made In Taipan, 33 Follow The Plan

If it gets really bottomless I think Golden Silver might have a chance of reversing the form. I am not a Captain Cee Bee fan at all at all.

Following the heavy snowfall yesterday afternoon the track at Leopardstown is currently covered by 4 to 5 inches of snow and current weather predictions suggest that the thaw may not come as early as anticipated.

Leopardstown General Manager Tom Burke expressed concerns about the track being raceable in time for racing on St. Stephens’s day if current conditions persist.

The situation is being monitored on an ongoing basis and updates will be communicated regularly and will be available on the Leopardstown website www.leopardstown.com

For further information contact:

Tom Burke, General Manager, Leopardstown Racecourse. Tel: 01 2890500 / 087 2347183

Jane Davis, Marketing Executive, Leopardstown Racecourse. Tel: 086 3490681

Barbara White, Marketing Services Manager, HRI. Tel: 045 455455 / 087 2511482

Can't see racing going ahead Stephens Day given the weather we're having and the forecast. With the expected thaw on xmas day and the slight start to that thaw on xmas Eve, i'd say there's a fighting chance of racing on the 27th.

If racing doesn't go ahead on St. Stephens Day, anyone think they would consider pushing the whole festival back a day? Or more likely to run the Graded races on the subsequent day(s)?

My guess, hezz, is they would move the 26th card to the 30th (which is a blank day at present) and leave the rest unchanged.

But of course Grey, I was never good at the rubix cube.

I take it you'll be out there one or two of the days all going well?

I think Captain Cee Bee could be the best of the Irish 2 milers but he seems to have an excuse every second race - burst blood vessel, unlucky fall etc. Makes you think twice about him as a betting proposition.

Hopefully he runs a stinker before Cheltenham so!

Yeah you are right Hamm. On a going day he is such a classy animal though, I really hope he can get to Cheltenham fit and well and if so, I expect him to put all those previous question marks over him to bed. Very much like Big Zeb did last season.

Fwiw, I think him and French Opera are the 2 best bets for the Queen Mum now, both have decent each way chances at their respective prices.

Last edited:
Noel Meade has revealed plans for his principle horses over the Christmas period. The Co Meath trainer, in common with most, has been held up by the recent cold weather but holds a number of big race entries over the holiday period.Below are his principle runners, listed in alphabetical order.
"Across The Bay was ran badly in the Troytown Chase when we fancied him a lot. He had been working very well before the race and, having run so badly, I would probably have preferred to have run him once since then.
"Donnas Palm was disappointing at Fairyhouse when he really should have been closer to Voler La Vedette. We'll wait and see with him before making up our minds to run.
"Fully Funded disappointed me the last day and like quite a few of mine recently, was travelling well early in the straight but then seemed to blow up.
"Jered ran ok the last day but just got a bit tired and he was another which was held back by the cold snap.
"Muirhead was a little disappointing at Cork on his latest start. He made a mistake four out that day and it seemed to knock him back as he is a light framed horse. He is definately running.
"Oscar Looby will run in the Paddy Power Chase. He didn't seem to handle the track at Limerick and the ground may have been a little quick for him too.
"This season has been a disaster for Pandorama and, while he must simply have banged his head when withdrawn at Down Royal, he jumped straight into the second fence in the Hennessy before being hampered two fences later. He is still a very good horse though and will run in the Lexus Chase.
"Perfect Smile will also run in his Grade 1 event but may not have been at his best at Fairyhouse the last day, having travelled so well before emptying out. We think a lot of him and I don't think he ran his true race the last day - like a few of mine, maybe the weather may have held him up.
"I haven't made my mind up regarding running Realth Dubh yet. I thought he was a bit disappointing the last day (when left second in the Drinmore Chase at Fairyhouse) and he seemed to just get unnerved after he slipped into an early fence. He really should jump better than he does but at Fairyhouse, from going well, his run flattened out quite quickly. I haven't made my mind up whether or not he'll run over Christmas yet though and maybe the bad weather hindered him preparation for Fairyhouse too.
"Thegreatjohnbrowne is in great form and we're happy with all he's done over fences. He had a win operation last Spring and, while we always thought an awful lot of him, his form seems to have been transformed. He is a definite runner."

Gordon Elliott has trained more winners than anyone else this season, and, having bagged his first Grade 1 success recently, with Jessies Dream, the Grand National winning trainer is hoping for a successful Christmas spell.
Listed below are some of his main entries during the period.
"Carlito Brigante is on a few weeks break and will skip Christmas.
"Chicago Grey, who has an entry in the Welsh National, will run in either the Paddy Power Chase or the Grade 1 Fort Leney Chase. He takes a long time to get going in his races and, after Christmas, will be given a break with the Four Mile Chase at Cheltenham the plan.
"Jessies Dream was a little lucky to win after Mikael D'Haguenet fell at Fairyhouse the last day but going into the race, if you told me my horse would finish within one length of him I'd have been delighted. Jumping is the name of the game though and I'll be discussing with his owner before makign my mind up regarding taking him to Kempton over Christmas.
"Toner D'Oudaires is a grand horse, stays and jumps well and was good winning at Fairyhouse the last day. He has been hacking away since then and came out of the race well.
"Tharawaat & Roi Du Mee are entered in Down Royal, Limerick and Leopardstown. Tharawaat will run at Leopardstown in a 2m3f beginners' chase and we'll send Roi Du Mee to the north if the meeting goes ahead."

The trainer also added "I also run a newcomer called Bold Optimist is whom I like and should run well."

William Hill have priced up the Lexus. 7/2 Cooldine, 9/2 Joncol, 5/1 JY Vole 7/1 Pandorama. That 7/2 and 7/1 look big.

PP ... 4/1 Cooldine, 6/1 Joncol, 6/1 JY Vole 6/1 Pandorama. Also 14/1 The Listener, which is big when Boyles are only 6/1

Hills went 10/1 Pandorama originally! I still think Cooldine will be sub 5/2 at the off.

Three miles on deep ground suggests this is a match between Joncol and Pandorama.

You couldn't back one of Nolans at the moment - so is it a one horse race then? Shopping in the sales with the wife all day - currently sitting in Oasis - living the dream! Not ! Any word of Leopardstown or Lingfield going ahead tomorrow before I lose the will to go on!

Last edited:
Cooldine is a favourite that has no form to justify his position in the market and I don't get how JY Vole is shorter than Pandorama. The John Durkan looked quite poor to me.

I think Glencove Marina could be a fly in the ointment, top class novice who has had his problems, will love the ground, not sure if he will stay 3m though.

Quito De La Roque should love the ground and is one with a chance in the 3m novice chase, shouldn't have any problems with the ground, looks an out and out stayer.

JohnJ

Back