Leopardstown Christmas Festival

My guess is that with question marks over all the runners in the field, the market will come up with Cooldine as the most likely answer. Joncol - Trainer form. JY Vole - Not good enough. Pandorama - Trainer form and Down Royal incident. Had excuses last time despite clouting one early. Kempes - Going concerns and stamina issues in heavy going. The Listener - Age, must be past his best.

Possibly a race where you could try and lay the field in running at short odds.
Pandorama is a class act and I am willing to forgive Down Royal,Newbury and his trainers poor form.

If Cooldine wins everyone will feel silly and think it was blatantly obvious. Far from a vintage renewal

I suppose you could argue that he was only a neck behind Joncol in the Hennessy last year when he plainly wasn't right and should be able to turn the tables now.

Having backed Pandorama for the Gold Cup and for his last race I think it would be foolish not to back him at a nice price tomorrow.

There are a few tin pots to be picked up in Ireland for 3 mile chasers this season this side of Cheltenham. I agree with anyone that says Cooldine has a bit to prove but the horse is a write off if he cant win the Lexus or the Hennessy in this company this season.

I'll be brave again and tip Colm to have a decent day again. I see the early 9s on Quito de la Roc qas snaffled and he's into 6s now. I still think that's not a bad price. There is no strength in depth in this contest and I can't see any of these running in grade 1s next season. I think a few of his other runners will do well too.

Interesting contenders in the opener at Leopardstown too should it go ahead with Harpsy Chord (winner of a 4yo Maiden P2P last month) and the Willie Mullins French-import So Young both engaged in the race.

Looking forward to seeing how good Shinrock Paddy is, as tomorrow should tell.

In the Lexus I think Notre Pere is a lively outsider. Never returned the same after the Guiness Gold Cup for some reason but ran well in defeat first time this season before faltering at Aintree in the becher which he can be forgiven for really can't he. I'd be wary of taking the form book too literally with all this bad weather we've had, I wonder how much work many of these trainers have got into their horses?

Shinrock Paddy & Notre Pere e/w double.

Last edited:
I took a little of 9 on Pandorama.

Why is So Young 13/8 in the first? Surely he should be a multiple of that price.

Had a look at the race Hamm-there is a lot of rubbish in it but I don't like hurdlers starting off over 2.5 miles.I couldn't back it at that race but I don't think I would lay it.

Same here, Moehat. Especially as he generally goes so well fresh, loves soft/worse ground and Davy Russell now knows that he has to make a bit more use of him.

Like the look of Quito de la Roque in the novice chase, also Elysian Rock. If they go off at a good pace, though, Chicago Grey could spoil the party as he has already proved that he stays 3m well and probably gets even further, so he would be able to mop them up as they tire. He does make the odd mistake, but if he doesn't make too much of a howler, he should be staying on grimly at the end.

Last edited:
So Young proving that rather than being multiples of 13/8, he should have been a considerable division of those odds...that was too easy

So Young proving that rather than being multiples of 13/8, he should have been a considerable division of those odds...that was too easy

Eh, no - the result doesn't justify the odds beforehand. Keep backing Mullins horses at these prices with no form and you'll go broke.

Back