Leopardstown Sunday

Guest_

At the Start
Some card scheduled for Sunday at Leopardstown. The ground has dried out to Yielding To Soft but plenty of rain is forecast for tomorrow….hopefully it should go ahead though. Two Group 2s, 3 Group 3s, 60-100 rated handicap and a very interesting two year old maiden…that is what Sunday racing should be!!!

First race is a maiden for 2 year olds, John Oxx has the very promising Sea The Stars down to run. This one ran a cracker behind the likes of Driving Snow, Black Bear Island etc in a hot maiden at The Curragh. Two well touted newcomers take him on in the shape of Sigarfieldsobers and Vocalised.

Phoenix Sprint has the British trained Masta Plasta as the likely favourite. Ballydoyle has Georgebernardshaw, Oxx has Age Of Chivlary but I like the look of Snaefell. Yard is in good form now and he will relish the likely testing conditions.

Debutante Stakes has Cuis Ghaire,Rare Ransom,Spira,Again,Oui Say Oui Baliyana…a seriously hot renewal.

Desmond Stakes looks weak enough….Jumbajukiba, Lord Admiral, Deauville Vision, Carribean Sunset plus Blythe Knight and Kitty Matcham - both of whom should relish the ease underfoot.

Royal Whip Stakes is again small in field size…Alarazi, King Of Rome, King Of Westphalia, Moiqen and Zulu Chief. All eyes will be on the last named colt ridden by Murtagh.

The final race is a Leger trial in all but name. More Wells, Arch Rebel, Pround Beauty,Prima Luce, Washington Irving, Raydiya and Sail.

http://info.hri-racing.ie/entries/Microsoft_Word__ONOR221.PDF

The royal whip is a non event.I doubt Moiqen will turn up and alarazi deserves a squiggle,so it depends on which one of the O'Brien runners needs it more for his CV.

I would not be surprised to see Zulu Chief a non-runner given the likely deterioration of the ground which may have alot to do with Murtagh being on the other horse.

Zulu Chief is still in the International at York next week. Could go there instead.

If he is to run in York, he will need to be withdrawn from Sunday’s race due to a serious change in ground conditions from time of declaration. If the stewards do not accept it, the horse will be suspended for something like 5 days hence missing the International. I do not think they would want to run him in it anyway.

0000c70810dr.jpg

Inspection in the morning at Leopardstown after 32 mils of rain today. Going will be heavy if raceable.

Don't worry, I'll be out on me hands and knees with the hair dryer if worst comes to worst! :D

Nice, dry evening here as well now but it bucketed down all day and tommorrow's forecast isn't too promising either. Would be a real shame to lose it..

I live across from the course and it is raining. Not heavily but I wouldn't want to be out in it without an umbrella. So looks like a wet night ahead and more rain forecast for tomorrow avo so while they migth get the meeting off it must be doubtful whether they could finish it.

Very little chance of it going ahead then by the sounds of things. Fingers crossed though.

If it does go ahead, I'll stick my neck out and predict that John Oxx will sweep the 2yo races with Sea The Stars, Tanoura (supposed to be very nice filly) and Baliyan. Doubt it's ever been done before!

It's on according to RTE:

Leopardstown has passed an inspection this morning, racing will begin at 2.15pm.
The meeting had been in doubt after torrential rain yesterday.
The Dublin venue suffered 32 millimetres of rain on Saturday, according to Irish Turf Club officials and the inspection set for 7.30am.

But the course was deemed raceable and the ground has been described as soft to heavy.

And it's be dry all morning. No signs of rain so far but it's difficult to tell when the hills block your view!!

An Capall, I'm a leopardstown heights resident.

The whole Sheikh family is heading in, there was serious flooding in the garden yesterday, 15 mins away.

Any word for anything ?

Ground is a slight worry for him. Otherwise he should go really close after running in the hottest maiden run in Ireland already this year.

Georgebernardshaw will love this ground today.

Mores Wells won this race last year and should be able to repeat.

Snaefell is another to relish the ground and his form over 6 furlongs gives him the edge for me.

I like Washington Irving in the last and I think Kitty Matcham will show much more now she is off the firm ground.

Back